Why become a member? ×

Stage Clobber

Deep Thought

[quote name='Pbassred' post='58872' date='Sep 11 2007, 06:26 PM']....but this got me sacked once.[/quote]

... as it should.

We wear long shorts, t-shirts & skater-type trainers. Drummer has long hair, and sometimes wears a vest instead of a t-shirt. He's quite trim, so he gets away with it. The rest have short spiked-up hair.

But I used to wear this outfit:

Mark

been wondering about this alot recently (as i have done for a while now) and i want more of a reaction from them out front, and so far it's like being at the zoo except we are the animals they are gawping at. very little crowd movement.
now onstage we may as well be dead as ther aint much going on, i'm not exactly outgoing so even looking at the audience scares the hell outta me (suprised i even make it up on stage to be honest :) ) but we enjoy the gigs we do and out dress tends to be black or dark shirt/t-shirt jeans or black trousers, the singer has some loud shirts he wares which is a start.
but how do you take it that one step further? and make it a show?

[quote]but how do you take it that one step further? and make it a show?[/quote]

by dressing up! :)

try approaching going up on stage more like you were about to go up and act in a play, rather than going up to perform music. So before going on stage, you get into your costume, and get into character.

For me it's all about putting a distance between yourself and the person going up on stage. if [b]I[/b] went up on stage, i'd be still, nervous, worried about making mistakes and worried about making myself look like a tit in front of a crowd of strangers, or even worse, mates...
and wearing something that isn't [i]you[/i] is the first step in making that difference and distinction between the two.

if you look silly, and all of your band looks silly, it helps lift the tensions of playing. 'we look like twats, so what does it matter if we act like it'.
or if your dressed all suave and cool, and you see your band all looking good. it helps to give you the confidence to ACT that way.

of course it wont be an istant transition, like you go up on stage and suddenly your all glam rock stars, but once the ball starts rolling, you'll feel more and more confortable with what your doing and how your acting, and believe me, you'll start having a helluva lot more FUN! :huh: especially when you have people comming up to you after shows, and not only saying that you played well, but that you [i]performed[/i] well.

Edited by wotnwhy

"[i]try approaching going up on stage more like you were about to go up and act in a play, rather than going up to perform music. So before going on stage, you get into your costume, and get into character.

For me it's all about putting a distance between yourself and the person going up on stage. if I went up on stage, i'd be still, nervous, worried about making mistakes and worried about making myself look like a tit in front of a crowd of strangers, or even worse, mates...
and wearing something that isn't you is the first step in making that difference and distinction between the two. "[/i]

- I totally agree. My attire of choice has been white shirt, black tie (so it stands out) yellow and black striped trousers and a black fedora. Is this wise? No. Does it look like street clothes? No, which I think is the point....

[quote name='Chop' post='59389' date='Sep 12 2007, 04:18 PM']"[i]try approaching going up on stage more like you were about to go up and act in a play, rather than going up to perform music. So before going on stage, you get into your costume, and get into character.

For me it's all about putting a distance between yourself and the person going up on stage. if I went up on stage, i'd be still, nervous, worried about making mistakes and worried about making myself look like a tit in front of a crowd of strangers, or even worse, mates...
and wearing something that isn't you is the first step in making that difference and distinction between the two. "[/i]
- I totally agree. My attire of choice has been white shirt, black tie (so it stands out) yellow and black striped trousers and a black fedora. Is this wise? No. Does it look like street clothes? No, which I think is the point....[/quote]

I suppose it could depend on the type of music you play. you're not going to go down to well in a metal band wearing those clothes :)

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='59301' date='Sep 12 2007, 02:42 PM']if you look silly, and all of your band looks silly, it helps lift the tensions of playing. 'we look like twats, so what does it matter if we act like it'.[/quote]

hmm, i like the idea
if only the part of my brain that goes "you look like twat and every one is going to let you know so why go out there like that?" didn't say that, i mean it does even when i'm wearing something that is pretty tame but to me is a little bit too loud and its only a black tshirt with a sparkly embossed logo on the back (go figure) :) :huh:

that was the other thing as when at school i didn't do plays cos "ah sh*t everyone is now looking at me and i know i'm going to make a twat of meself" geuss i need to chill and relax.

where do i get valium then? :huh:

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='58871' date='Sep 11 2007, 06:22 PM']for me, gigging is a whole package. sound, look and presence are very important when live. if you play to a crowd like you play in rehersal they might as well buy a CD because they're not going to get much more from seeing you on stage. Performance in terms of looks and actions are as important as performance in terms of sound (for me at least. obviously not everyones views are the same).

and so as you might have guessed. dressing up is a big part of playing for me. we have bin bags and boxes overflowing with dressing up clothes, and choosing what to wear before a show with the band can sometimes be almost as much of a laugh as playing!

obviously, the venue being played and the crowd being played to are a big factor of whats to be worn. ranging from a bit of simple, plain style:

to somthing a bit more outlandish for a bigger occasion

to full on outrageous for parties and the like

[/quote]
Ah, we're back to "bassists in hats", one of the best threads ever! :)

[quote name='beerdragon' post='59538' date='Sep 12 2007, 09:17 PM']I suppose it could depend on the type of music you play. you're not going to go down to well in a metal band wearing those clothes :huh:[/quote]

ha ha! could be interesting though eh? :)

of course it always depends on the situation. for metal it would have to be studded jackets and torn up jeans and big a$$ boots :huh:

[quote]"you look like twat and every one is going to let you know so why go out there like that?"[/quote]

i must admit when doing smaller, pub gigs, to a 'not yet won over' crowd i can feel like that. but i can guarentee you that nobody will be thinking about your atire anywhere near as much as you are.

self confidence is a very big factor in things like this. i used to be one of those people getting butterflies before going on, then hiding as far back on the stage as possible, not moving, looking down, trying to draw as little attention to myself as possible. you just need to build up gradually, and as you do so, you'll notice a change in the reaction you get from the audience (it'll be positive :) ), and that will give you the confidence to go that step further each time.

think of it this way. you go and see a band. they're all plainly dressed, standing still, looking down, no smiles on their faces. it doesn't exactly inspire you to get out of your seat and get down on the dancefloor does it? whereas if you see people who've made an effort with their appearence, are moving around and look like their having a lot of fun, it puts a smile on your face and gets you more into the spirit of things. at least it does for me.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='59947' date='Sep 13 2007, 04:17 PM']i must admit when doing smaller, pub gigs, to a 'not yet won over' crowd i can feel like that. but i can guarentee you that nobody will be thinking about your atire anywhere near as much as you are.

self confidence is a very big factor in things like this. i used to be one of those people getting butterflies before going on, then hiding as far back on the stage as possible, not moving, looking down, trying to draw as little attention to myself as possible. you just need to build up gradually, and as you do so, you'll notice a change in the reaction you get from the audience (it'll be positive :) ), and that will give you the confidence to go that step further each time.

think of it this way. you go and see a band. they're all plainly dressed, standing still, looking down, no smiles on their faces. it doesn't exactly inspire you to get out of your seat and get down on the dancefloor does it? whereas if you see people who've made an effort with their appearence, are moving around and look like their having a lot of fun, it puts a smile on your face and gets you more into the spirit of things. at least it does for me.[/quote]

totally agree, it's just putting it into practice, maybe i need to mess about a bit more in rehersals and then it wont be so hard on the night.

• 4 months later...

Did a dep gig with the band on before The Wurzles a while back.
They all turned up in their Armani suits and then put on the stage kit, just like Status Quo are rumoured to do ..

Mr E. Clapton allegedly does it the other way round, jeans to the dressing room then the Armani suit. Blues players eh?

I have to dress up or I can't get the right head on for the performance.

Me and the other front person always start the gig (at least) wearing dress suit jackets, a black or white shirt and black trousers. Depending on the audience type I may wear my Black Pork Pie bass player's hat. I have a couple of pairs of rock and roll daps (All Star Baseball Boots) but I always thing McCartney looks a prat in his (at his age) so tend to wear all black trainers instead..

The other guys wear black trousers white shirts and musically related waistcoats though the drummer has a scary habit of wearing shorts on stage once spring is in the air.

We definitely did play dress-up more in earlier lineups of the band (it was all a bit gothy/cyber a few years back) - however our current guitarist & drummer, whilst being exemplary musicians, possess style measurable in negative values, which makes it much harder work. Also, we have a female vocalist who is naturally the focal point onstage, so this is typical:

[attachment=4937:maya29edit.jpg]

Really, no-one's paying too much attention to the ugly gits with instruments, and no-one has to give Nick a hard time for turning up in a Hawkwind t-shirt. :huh: :)

We've all been doing this for a long time (the band's been gigging since 2000 & this line-up's 5 years old) so confidence isn't an issue, ever - our favourite gigs are to new audiences who don't know what to expect, and we're seldom what they do expect. I don't think, at this point, specific stage outfits for the guys in the band would make any difference either to either our performance or an audience's reaction. It's all about the music, maaan. ;)

Jon.

We all wear work shirts, you know the sort of thing... short sleeved shirts with nametags and so on. I've got three motor-racing pit crew shirts that I bought for peanuts off fleaBay: a [url="http://i6.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/bd/cf/a570_1.JPG"]Subaru rally one[/url], blue with gold logos and stuff; a [url="http://i20.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/d2/0e/c7d5_1.JPG"]Seat BTCC one[/url], yellow with silver logo and things; and a Mitsubishi rally one, white with red logos. The Scooby one looks best but it's very heavy cotton and can be v.hot. The Mitsy one is my current favourite. Although all our shirts are different colours, it does provide something of an identity as they are all the same type of garment -- thus giving a uniform look without being uniform, if you see what I mean.
[quote name='OldGit' post='121392' date='Jan 16 2008, 11:57 AM']Did a dep gig with the band on before The Wurzles a while back.
They all turned up in their Armani suits and then put on the stage kit, just like Status Quo are rumoured to do ..[/quote]Damn... and there I was thinking that they spent the whole time dressed as village idiots... :)

I always wear black, whether its just jeans and a t-shirt in a pub or something more formal for function, it's always black.

With my current function band we've all got black polo shirts with the band logo embroidered on them. They look pretty professional and we've had plenty of positive comments about them...

I did wear shorts for a few summer gigs a few years back but after looking at the photos decided I haven't got the knees for it !

Get a frontperson with a bit of banter and charisma. Give them a cheap bubble-blowing pistol from a toy store, which they can shoot or hand round the audience. Give them a bottle of cheapish whiskey and some shot glasses so he can coax people near to the front of the stage. Make him practice his banter until he's really happy up there. Does that stuff count as stage clobber? In the wrong hands it can feel try-hard, but if you can pull it off they'll be eating out of the palm of your hand.

Black shoes, socks, trousers and coloured shirt, tie, and jacket of choice, the brighter the better. The latter usually comes from charity shops for about £10 a throw. I was shopping the other day and saw a bright blue jacket for £20 - what!? It was a genuine Versace and is the best jacket I've ever owned - apart from the colour, of course.

We had a Rat Pack drummer depping with us recently and he asked us what colour we wanted. In his bag he had Red, Blue, Green and Yellow jackets, all in wool and mohair. Nicccccce....................

I`m in an ACDC tribute and our Angus is the same SIZE as the real one. But, here`s the good bit, his uniform is the one he wore to school for REAL!! :)

His wee satchel has his gold initials on it! :huh: .......

I dont go for the wig thing....thats too far! Do try and wear a sleveless tshirt or something DCish...got to make an effort if people are paying good money to come and see you!

We're kinda lucky being that we are a grunge tribute, so we can generally wear what we want as long as it's comfy and a bit scruffy - long shorts are almost mandatory - but somehow our front man always seems to come across a bit Brit-pop/high-streety no matter what he wears. I usually take a mental note of particularly hot stages (you know the ones with the lighting an inch away from your head) and dress accordingly. I've taken to wearing a hat as a tribute to Jeff Ament (who I'm supposed to be tributing) which was a good move as it keeps the sweat out of my eyes. For a laff I have just bought a lightweight kilt with the express intent of wearing on stage, but alas as my exuberant stage show includes "Busted" jumps, excruciating limbo dance type head-bangy crouching stuff and foot on monitor poses I doubt I'll be going commando like I normally would in a kilt.... or will I :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='121914' date='Jan 17 2008, 02:51 AM']For a laff I have just bought a lightweight kilt with the express intent of wearing on stage, but alas as my exuberant stage show includes "Busted" jumps, excruciating limbo dance type head-bangy crouching stuff and foot on monitor poses I doubt I'll be going commando like I normally would in a kilt.... or will I :)[/quote]

Go on You could get a top following in the gay community