Why become a member? ×

Buckle rash. How do you avoid it?

dave_bass5

I bought a platted leather belt (found in a charity shop) which, when done up, overlays the small metal buckle.
I'm now more in danger of my bass getting 'leather rash', I s'pose! :)
+1 on moving any buckle to the side. Sorted.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='542181' date='Jul 16 2009, 12:56 PM']I guess you don't need to worry when wearing spandex :)[/quote]

haha, thats very true...I think those gig photo's are going to haunt me for ever now.

I think this man has the answer though.

Protect you bass. Wear spandex!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='542004' date='Jul 16 2009, 10:19 AM']I was looking at the back of my P5 last night and noticed, in the right (or wrong) light i see lots of little scratches. Noting major and only in the finish.
Im normally careful with my Basses but we do have to wear shirts at a lot of our gigs, and tucked in so exposing the belt buckle.

I just wondered what others do in this situation. I dont have any sharp corners on my buckle but of course the bass is still rubbing against metal.[/quote]

put your belt on so the buckle is on the side...means a bit of mucking about but it works
or fold a bit of soft napking...or duster..over the buckle and inside your jeans etc

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='542142' date='Jul 16 2009, 12:30 PM']I've put my buckle over the right hip for years now, otherwise when I sit down it digs into my belly. It has the added extra of keeping my basses in good condition![/quote]

A very long time ago another "bass player" used to do that too, but over the left hip...
I remember it distinctly.

[quote name='Geoff' post='542131' date='Jul 16 2009, 12:18 PM']I always find my t-shirts get ruined when playing gigs, as they get scratched between the belt buckle and the bass body meaning I have a wardrobe full of t-shirts with lots of little holes on the front.

At least my bass is fine then :)[/quote]

+1, so I don't do belts anymore!!!!

[quote name='Protium' post='542404' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:50 PM']My bass sits on my right hip and doesn't contact with said belt.[/quote]

I play like that but when not playing the bass sort of swings around to the front.
And ive just remembered the buttons on my jacket. they also come in contact with the bass.
Bugger, maybe going naked was a good idea.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='542407' date='Jul 16 2009, 04:52 PM']I play like that but when not playing the bass sort of swings around to the front.
And ive just remembered the buttons on my jacket. they also come in contact with the bass.
Bugger, maybe going naked was a good idea.[/quote]
Just as long as you don't get, er, over-excited.

But it's at the back - does it matter at all? Surely it's a badge of honour, like ingrained dirt where your thumb rests and worn away finish where your popping/strumming fingers or pick attack the top! (I've tried to extend this theory to dents but it doesn't hold up so well unless they were acquired when beating time into a drummer's head etc).

Alex

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='542142' date='Jul 16 2009, 12:30 PM']I've put my buckle over the right hip for years now, otherwise when I sit down it digs into my belly. It has the added extra of keeping my basses in good condition![/quote]

I put my belt buckle over my left hip. Job done! :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='545359' date='Jul 20 2009, 03:08 PM']But it's at the back - does it matter at all? Surely it's a badge of honour, like ingrained dirt where your thumb rests and worn away finish where your popping/strumming fingers or pick attack the top! (I've tried to extend this theory to dents but it doesn't hold up so well unless they were acquired when beating time into a drummer's head etc).

Alex[/quote]

It doesn't bother me but i think it will effect the price i can get if/when i try and sell it. Thats all im really worried about.
I see basses for sale that are years old yet have none of these makes etc on them (or so they say).
I really dont know how people do it other than to never play the things.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='545397' date='Jul 20 2009, 03:39 PM']Having a strange inability to sell basses I'd omitted to consider that!

Alex[/quote]

To be honest ive never worried about it in the past and have sold a few basses but when i met up with another member last week he pointed out the scratches and it did make me think whether it does devalue the bass or not.

Not that i plan on selling it just yet.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='545405' date='Jul 20 2009, 03:44 PM']To be honest ive never worried about it in the past and have sold a few basses but when i met up with another member last week he pointed out the scratches and it did make me think whether it does devalue the bass or not.[/quote]

I'm alway suspicious of any unmarked used instrument - it says to me "I didn't sound good enough or play well enough to get used much". I swear most of the mint condition early '60s Fenders are the crap sounding ones that got forgotten. So to any buyer that questions blemishes you should turn it around and point out that wear marks demonstrate it was good enough to get used plenty!

Alex

Edited by alexclaber

Good thread! only just found it!

I don't wear belts or braces when playing.
I wear T shirts (or whatever) long enough to cover the rivets in my jeans- or better yet wear something that doesn't have them.
I never wear shirts with the buttons uncovered.
I once had to play in a suit, and cut the buttons off of the jacket and replaced it with Velcro on the inside!

Fanatical? Yes.
Buckle rash? Nope. Not a bit.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='545540' date='Jul 20 2009, 05:58 PM']So to any buyer that questions blemishes you should turn it around and point out that wear marks demonstrate it was good enough to get used plenty!

Alex[/quote]

I did and was quite brazen about it. But some people can be a bit funny about marks and it can give them a bit more bargaining power.