Why become a member? ×

Schroeder Cabs Issues/Forgotten!

phsycoandy

I am well aware of issues with QC at Schroeder recently on another now locked forum thread.
I thought it would be informative to all to pass on my personal experience.
From the start Shaun at SHX is a star and I have no complaint or grievance with him or his company.
My story is I ordered a new 21012 in carpet. Shaun had none, and offered me one in Rhino, I prefer carpet as I am a bit trad and of a certain age.
Anyway I agreed to have the Rhino cab. The thing to be frank was not what I would expect for £700 odd. It rattled and groaned and flexed terribly. The rattle was from the grill not being able to be secured in the RHS bottom corner cause the wooden block was split where the screw was. I took the grill off to asssertain this only to reveal that the main baffle board was infact made of two pieces, joined very poorly with black gunk. Also the cuts made for the handles etc were very poorly made and several different sized screws used to secure said handle. It was a proverbial Friday afternoon job!
I contacted Shaun, and to his credit he replaced the cab with a 410L carpet personally delivered one evening before one of his gigs and I commend him for that.
The new cab is poles apart, its well made, sounds absolutely fabulous, is loud and precise, and tbh what I expected and paid for. Shaun even said on delivery, this looks like a whole lot better cab.
Conclusion: I have no complaint with SHX and am happy to complement Shaun and his exemplary service, I just feel perhaps Schroeder went thru a poor patch right around when I purchased my cab.
Further conclusion is that I've done 2 outdoor gigs with the 410 now, a wedding and a party and it's been fabulous, loud, thick, lovely and throws the sound more than I've ever experienced. Brilliant cabs.
If this thread gets locked by mods I will understand, but what can I say, everything is true and my experience.

Edited by phsycoandy

I have a 1212L which I purchased direct from Jorg roughly this time last year. Its great in every aspect, has served me very well and gets compliments on sound everywhere I take it. I've owned all sorts of cabs from Ampeg to Peavey and this blows them all out of the water. Difficult what to say really, I took a leap of faith when I ordered mine and it payed off. Hope Jorg can bring it back in line.

There's no reason for the thread to be locked. You've posted your experiences in an honest and non-hysterical fashion. No problems there.

I had two Schroeder cabs. My dad is a joiner, and he used to wince whenever he looked inside my 21012L or 410L. They sounded fine, though.

I dealt extensively with Jorg. He was great, but all of a sudden he became pretty unhelpful. So.. I moved on.

Fairly recently, a driver in a friend's pretty new 410R went bad. It had hardly been used. Despite the best efforts of Shaun at SHX and my friend, Jorg just pulled the shutters down.

It was only resolved when I posted a videoclip of the farty driver on YouTube. It should never have come to that. Very disappointing.

Again, I hope Jorg gets things back on track. He's not known for this.

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='535977' date='Jul 8 2009, 08:25 PM']I am well aware of issues with QC at Schroeder recently on another now locked forum thread.
I thought it would be informative to all to pass on my personal experience.
From the start Shaun at SHX is a star and I have no complaint or grievance with him or his company.
My story is I ordered a new 21012 in carpet. Shaun had none, and offered me one in Rhino, I prefer carpet as I am a bit trad and of a certain age.
Anyway I agreed to have the Rhino cab. The thing to be frank was not what I would expect for £700 odd. It rattled and groaned and flexed terribly. The rattle was from the grill not being able to be secured in the RHS bottom corner cause the wooden block was split where the screw was. I took the grill off to asssertain this only to reveal that the main baffle board was infact made of two pieces, joined very poorly with black gunk. Also the cuts made for the handles etc were very poorly made and several different sized screws used to secure said handle. It was a proverbial Friday afternoon job!
I contacted Shaun, and to his credit he replaced the cab with a 410L carpet personally delivered one evening before one of his gigs and I commend him for that.
The new cab is poles apart, its well made, sounds absolutely fabulous, is loud and precise, and tbh what I expected and paid for. Shaun even said on delivery, this looks like a whole lot better cab.
Conclusion: I have no complaint with SHX and am happy to complement Shaun and his exemplary service, I just feel perhaps Schroeder went thru a poor patch right around when I purchased my cab.
Further conclusion is that I've done 2 outdoor gigs with the 410 now, a wedding and a party and it's been fabulous, loud, thick, lovely and throws the sound more than I've ever experienced. Brilliant cabs.
If this thread gets locked by mods I will understand, but what can I say, everything is true and my experience.[/quote]

Sounds pretty similar to what I experienced with my 1212L. I assume you're referring to the thread on TB which unfortunately descended into a bit of a slanging match.

I'd like to add to what I said there that Shaun at SHX couldn't have dealt with the matter any better. I also have absolutely no complaint about his service and as far as I know the 1212L I bought from him was shipped directly to me from Schroeder so he probably didn't see it.

Having said that it seems that Schroeder do make a habit of shipping substandard cabs. The argument that they've just slipped through the QC net doesn't really hold water because the POS that they fobbed me off with had so many glaringly obvious faults it's inconceivable that they shipped it unknowingly. I've bought a lot of gear in my 25 or so years of playing and I've never had a single issue with any other amp or cab and only once with a bass. To pay the sort of money Schroeders go for and get something with that many faults was very disappointing.

Edited by AndyMartin

[quote name='Musicman20' post='536117' date='Jul 8 2009, 11:44 PM']Once again, Im a little put off. I know not all of them are like this, but I expect good things for near on £600.[/quote]

Yes exactly. For the sort of money they cost you're into the upper echelons of boutique cabs. You just don't hear of these kind of problems with other cab makers.

i heard so many problems with guys having to replace driver, fill holes in badly made cabs etc....i was all set to buy 2x 115L but i went for something else in the end....
Ive never heard of any other cab maker in that price bracket who have had as many problems, compare them to EA or Accugroove which ive never heard of problems on that scale.
shame as im sure one of the big companys who are yet to properly address weight issues (ampeg,aguilar,eden etc..) will come along and start producing similar product and clean up....

I also had a 1212L from SHX go faulty within the first couple of weeks. The driver started making farting noises. It took me a whiel but i found the dome had come unglued from the rest of the cone. only about an inch and so you couldnt actually see it.
To their credit both Jorg and Shaun returned my emails within an hour or two, and this was on a Sunday evening.
By wed all was sorted. Jorg got in touch with Shaun and they sent me a new driver. I still have the old one and i intend to fix it and use it at some point.
Great service from both.

No then, i dont know if any of you remember my Epifani UL212 thread but that cab was a total disaster and so were the company i got it from.
Other than the price going up after i have paid for it (extra postage) the cab arrived and looked great but after two gigs it started rattling. When i tried to tighten the handles, most of the screws practicality feel out. Some had holes too big and some we just miss drilled, most were just spinning around. Also the grill on the front had two screws missing.
To cut a long story short i ended up replacing BOTH drivers, re drilling the holes for the handle screws and re wiring because the new drivers had different fitting on them. All within 4 weeks of paying over the odds for this cab from Europe, and paying to get one driver sent back for replacement.

So much for boutique cabs.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Musicman20' post='536619' date='Jul 9 2009, 05:32 PM']Jees! That pretty bad Dave. Not much luck there :)

I thought Epifani was pretty spot on with QC...now Im not so sure![/quote]

Ive had two UL cabs. the first was UL115 and i have noting buty good things to say about it.

The UL212 turned up without any bumps, knocks etc, even the outer box was in top condition so i can only imagin this left the factory like this.

I recently bought a 1212L from shx- really happy with it- played quite a few gigs - no problems as yet- the rhino coating seems a little strange when compared to carpet but it sounds great and is great for my back- had many good comments at gigs form other bass players- one said I was too loud ( markbass amp on 1/4 )but he wasnt bothered as my tone was so good- he really enjoyed it.

cheers

Bob

All is forgiven, played another outside gig tonight with the 410 to about 125 people at a mad Charity party, and we were full on, and this thing just gets better,louder and more yummy and asks for more! fabulous punchy sound, Sean said they getter better with a few miles on em.
So don't let my initial post and problem put you off these things are well worth a punt.

I had a problem with the Speakon socket on the back. It doesn't click into place like it should meaning that i can twist the connector to disconnect it without pushing the little clip thingy to release it.

I emailed Jorg telling him about the problem and offering to fit a new one if he sent me the part. He said he would but in the end I had to email him countless times, eventually culminating in me posting on Talkbs to find out if he'd dropped off the planet.

He said he had been busy and hadn't got round to it - how silly of me, it takes hours to fire a connector into a jiffy bag and wait for the postie to collect it.

Not really the issue - I'm 99.9% convinced that the website used to state that the cabs had a lifetime warranty or at least a long warranty.

At the minute, the connector still needs replacing, the knob that adjusts the horn fell off and was lost long ago, the rhino covering has come off albeit a tiny amount but this stuff is tough, no?

I'll never buy anything else from him. His attitude stinks and given the current economic climate he'll go down if he doesn't put more effort into his QC and his customers.

This is , of course, IMO, AFAIK, etc.

Great cab but as soon as I find something better or equal to it, it will be getting sold as I want nothing more to do with him orhis products.