Why become a member? ×

Schroeder Cabs Issues/Forgotten!

phsycoandy

It sound like Jorg's initial customer base was small enough for him to take time and care with each product ordered.

I guess it was his initial customer service and quality product that has got him international recognition amongst bass players.

It sounds like currently, demand is outweighing supply. Jorg should really be looking at employing more people than himself and a few mates to knock up the cabs out of his garage and get a proper infrastructure in place to expand and become a bigger business.

I've got a 1212L, went directly through Jorg and think i ordered mine right around the time he was going from 'super helpful' to 'swamped'.

I wouldn't give up hope on him yet, i'm really blownaway by what he's created, everytime company has 'growing pains' and you'll be able to find someone thats had nightmare stories from every single manufacturer ever. If he gets his act together, i'd put this down to growing pains personally.

From dealings with Jorg in the past i tend to agree with G Star. There are also the trade shows etc where i have known Jorg to not answer any emails for a week or so due to either getting cabs ready for them or being at them.

Its funny, untill i got the UL212 i had never had a bad piece or gear. I never thought for one min that ordering from a guy i had never heard of and is 1000's of miles away would be a risk (maybe silly) but as far as my 1210R goes i never think of it going wrong. But the whole UL212 fiasco made me paranoid about ordering from overseas so that was the main reason i got the 1212L from SHX. Lucky i guess considering the faulty driver.
Im even more paranoid now but i would still happily buy a Schroeder from SHX again.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='539158' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:28 AM']I think it would be much easier if SHX was given a supply of spares from day one. But, the recent QC problems has basically put me off all together.

What kind of cab can keep up with a 1212L?![/quote]

Im pretty sure they do have spares. They sent me a driver out the next day.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thought I'd just add to this instead of starting a new thread - a driver blew recently in my 1212L. Dealing with Shaun and Jorg has been great, and Jorg is sending a new speaker out after seeing a picture of the damage, no questions asked.

Great sounding cabs, and great customer service is all I have experienced from Schroeder :)

The dust cap has a big tear in it. I haven't done anything ridiculous to it at all :/ it's not the first time I've heard of it though. Someone on this forum had a very similar issue resolved in the same way, though his tear didn't appear to be as severe as mine.

[quote name='Finbar' post='643663' date='Nov 2 2009, 05:59 PM']The dust cap has a big tear in it. I haven't done anything ridiculous to it at all :/ it's not the first time I've heard of it though. Someone on this forum had a very similar issue resolved in the same way, though his tear didn't appear to be as severe as mine.[/quote]

Could have been me.
Within a week or so of receiving the cab i was getting a rasping noise coming from one of the drivers. It took me ages to track it down and it was a very small section of the dust cap had come away from the cone. I still have it and its going to be easy to fix if i ever need it.

I personally wouldn't touch a Schroeder. A friend of mine who has built some really extremely high quality BFM cabs recently tried out a Schroeder and sold his Aguilar GS112's as he was so impressed with the sound. He ordered a new Schroeder and the build quality and wiring was so bad (like the tweeter was not properly connected) that he immediately sent it back. As just one example the grill had been powder coated flat, then bent into shape and a magic marker used to colour where the powder coating had understandably flaked off on the outer edges of the bend.

The driver apertures in a recent build thread look like they've been done by a 5 yr old let loose with a fretsaw! Even if most sound good this sort of production process is imo taking the P out of the customer big time.

If I was in the business of making these cabs I'd be mightily embarrassed by some of the practices used by my employees. As for a quality assurance process? It seems to be that if you enter into a lottery when buying any expensive (well they aint cheap) item then the producer shouldn't be in business.

Pedro

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='643836' date='Nov 2 2009, 09:45 PM']I personally wouldn't touch a Schroeder. A friend of mine who has built some really extremely high quality BFM cabs recently tried out a Schroeder and sold his Aguilar GS112's as he was so impressed with the sound. He ordered a new Schroeder and the build quality and wiring was so bad (like the tweeter was not properly connected) that he immediately sent it back.[/quote]

Mr. Perry by any chance?

If so it was my 1212r he tried, made long before any QC issues. I love my Schroeder but would be a bit wary of buying one new. Two folk near me have bought Schroeder cabs and both have had issues with them, one was the dust-cap problem and the other was a faulty driver, both had to go back

Does sound awesome though and goes silly loud.

I think if i was in the market for bass cab and had around £600 to spend Mr. Claber would be getting a rather nice pm

Spot on and I thought Dave may like to make his own comment so didn't name him.

I do think that the design is really good. I also think that if you charge that sort of money you have a commercial duty to justify it in terms of build quality and quality assurance. I remember when the US was very strong on these things.

I also happen to think you're a bit of a star for lending Dave your cab in the 1st place :)

My 1210R has done well over 150 gigs without any problems. My 1212L (over a year old) has done about 30+ gigs. The dust cap going had nothing to do with Jorg so while there are some who have had problems i say its not the norm and will be happy to buy another Schroeder if i needed to.
Saying that i quite fancy a BFC next.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='643919' date='Nov 2 2009, 09:49 PM']My 1210R has done well over 150 gigs without any problems. My 1212L (over a year old) has done about 30+ gigs. The dust cap going had nothing to do with Jorg so while there are some who have had problems i say its not the norm and will be happy to buy another Schroeder if i needed to.
Saying that i quite fancy a BFC next.[/quote]

I hear what you say but think that some of the issues disclosed are quire inexcusable.

I did have a issue with mine that sounded like a buzzing noise coming from the 15' Cone (21015 version) took the grill off and removed a 10' speaker and the Tweeter was not connected at all I'd imagine/Hope it was when it left the factory and just came loose, the buzzing was the spade connectors touching the 15' speaker cone on the inside.

[quote name='MythSte' post='643914' date='Nov 2 2009, 09:45 PM']Ahh, I do miss my Schroeder, the one Lemmywinks has now and Dave tried. But the problems outlined are just unacceptable. Even my barefaced vintage is well put together and that was made by some bloke in brighton :)[/quote]

Nice Warwick btw!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='643926' date='Nov 2 2009, 09:58 PM']I hear what you say but think that some of the issues disclosed are quire inexcusable.[/quote]

Totally agree and ive read even worse on TB but these things wont put me off.
If anything was wrong with my cab when it arrives i would just send it back and if it broke down i would hopefully get it sorted as quickly as i did when my 1212L went down.
I believe the cabs come with a 10 year warranty. Not sure what that covers though. Jorg and Shaun do seem to run a good service though.

Not ideal though.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='644187' date='Nov 3 2009, 10:05 AM']If anything was wrong with my cab when it arrives i would just send it back and if it broke down i would hopefully get it sorted as quickly as i did when my 1212L went down.[/quote]
That's what I thought, but I've got first-hand experience of a couple of situations where it didn't work like that - mainly down to to Jorg rather than than Shaun. Shame.