Why become a member? ×

I thnk I just got a bargain SWR

NJE

Hello,

Don't know why I am posting this but maybe someone will be interested.

I just bought a ex demo SWR Black Beauty for £399. Now this seems like a bargain to me but I am living dangerously as I have neither played this combo before or actually seen the one I am getting. Luckily I have 7 days to send it back, Its been fully tested and I have 1 years warranty as well.

I know SWR stuff and I like it, plus I want something neat with a 15" speaker for a deeper rock sound so it seemed the ideal solution. I will however not say too much as it could be a dog and could be going back but here's hoping it works out. Its next day delivery so i will soon find out when it hopefully arrives safe and sound tomorrow.

So anyone out there got one of these? I read up a bit and it sounds exactly what I am after but be interested to hear anyone's opinions and what I should expect.

Thanks,

Nathan

Yeah thats right, it was from guitar guitar. Spoke to a chap called Mark who was great gave me loads of info and said any problems just give him a call. Got to say so far the service is amazing, especially compared to some other big shops.

They also have a baby blue for silly money and a really nice Eden at a top price. Looking forward to seeing what arrives anyway, hopefully it will do what i want and then sadly my Ashdown head and cab will be going, but hey dont need two amps.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='531501' date='Jul 3 2009, 11:17 AM']Was that from guitarguitar or something? I remember seeing on their website they had 3 of them or something, and a bunch of other stuff for okay deals.[/quote]

I've bought quite a few things from them, they are okay, but they never seem to send things on Fridays, twice I'd had that problem, expected it on a Monday as I ordered on a Friday, only for it to show up on Tuesday as they don't want it sitting with couriers, neither time have them actually told me either.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='531531' date='Jul 3 2009, 11:37 AM']I've bought quite a few things from them, they are okay, but they never seem to send things on Fridays, twice I'd had that problem, expected it on a Monday as I ordered on a Friday, only for it to show up on Tuesday as they don't want it sitting with couriers, neither time have them actually told me either.[/quote]
We follow that same policy at the shop unless you really want to get it on Monday, but we do tell people! :)

Hmmmm thanks for that I will keep an eye on the tracking. I have paid a little extra (next working day was free this week) for Saturday delivery so hopefully it should be here, if not i will be having words!

Anyway fingers crossed, if it all works out ok I will definately buy from them again, great prices on the website and they do some nice high end stuff.

Cheers,

Nathan

[quote name='hubrad' post='531535' date='Jul 3 2009, 11:40 AM']We follow that same policy at the shop unless you really want to get it on Monday, but we do tell people! :)[/quote]
Is that because stuff is more likely to get nicked or damaged if it spends a Saturday at a depot?

Edited by stevie

[quote name='stevie' post='531546' date='Jul 3 2009, 11:51 AM']Is that because stuff is more likely to get nicked or damaged if it spends a Saturday at a depot?[/quote]
Not so much nicked, but damage/out of our hands as regards atmosphere etc. As we sell predominantly acoustic instruments it just seems better to have them in a carrier system for as little time as possible. Stuff like strings, books and electronics are far less sensitive so no probs sending out Friday there.
We don't have a problem with the carriers - used Citylink for the last few years - it just seems to tempt fate less.

I tried out a Black Beauty a good few years ago with the Roscoe Beck 5 I had at the time- it sounded brilliant through it! Sadly I had neither the cash to afford it, nor the desire to lift it up 6 flights of stairs to my old student digs...

You'll be made up with this when you plug in! :)

Brilliant, that is what i wanted to hear. Nearly everything i had read about the black beauty says "good rock sound" to paraphrase slightly, which is what i want. I found my Roscoe Beck sounds big and rocky so I really want a big 15" that will push some air and make that low B sound big!

I really cannot wait until tomorrow, gig tonight, amp tomorrow and possibly new amp with gig on sunday, what a weekend.

Cheers,

Nathan

[quote name='Etienne' post='531718' date='Jul 3 2009, 02:25 PM']I tried out a Black Beauty a good few years ago with the Roscoe Beck 5 I had at the time- it sounded brilliant through it! Sadly I had neither the cash to afford it, nor the desire to lift it up 6 flights of stairs to my old student digs...

You'll be made up with this when you plug in! :)[/quote]

DAMN! You beat my deal! Did you get a chrome grilled one or a black grill?

I grabbed one of these from a local PMT for £500, when they had £700 on the price tag (if you don't ask, you don't get!). They are excellent amps, mine recently died mid-gig, but i think this is due to spending all it's time in a slightly damp van. :) It's currently at an amp repair guy, paid for by PMT! :rolleyes: Your very cheap price is more than likely due to SWR discontinuing them recently. There's an owners manual [url="http://www.swrsound.com/support/manuals/pdfs/blackbeauty_om.PDF"]here[/url] if you want to see what you've got yourself in for.

It's very clear and powerful for a 15 incher, but sounds even better with a 2x10 on top (preferably 4 ohm, which boosts the amps power from 300 to 350 watts. A 2 ohm cab would boost it to 400.) I like it with the tweeter set to -6db.

By the way.... The Aural Enhancer is best set at 2 o'clock. :lol:

Edited by allighatt0r

I used to have a Black Beauty and agree that they are a cracking combo. Add a 2x10 and you'll be in rock heaven. By the way, don't listen to allighatt0r, the aural enhancer is best at about half past ten :lol:

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='531841' date='Jul 3 2009, 05:04 PM']DAMN! You beat my deal! Did you get a chrome grilled one or a black grill?

I grabbed one of these from a local PMT for £500, when they had £700 on the price tag (if you don't ask, you don't get!). They are excellent amps, mine recently died mid-gig, but i think this is due to spending all it's time in a slightly damp van. :) It's currently at an amp repair guy, paid for by PMT! :rolleyes: Your very cheap price is more than likely due to SWR discontinuing them recently. There's an owners manual [url="http://www.swrsound.com/support/manuals/pdfs/blackbeauty_om.PDF"]here[/url] if you want to see what you've got yourself in for.

It's very clear and powerful for a 15 incher, but sounds even better with a 2x10 on top (preferably 4 ohm, which boosts the amps power from 300 to 350 watts. A 2 ohm cab would boost it to 400.) I like it with the tweeter set to -6db.

By the way.... The Aural Enhancer is best set at 2 o'clock. :D[/quote]

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='531841' date='Jul 3 2009, 05:04 PM']DAMN! You beat my deal! Did you get a chrome grilled one or a black grill?

By the way.... The Aural Enhancer is best set at 2 o'clock. :lol:[/quote]

A 2 ohm cab.....really?

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='531841' date='Jul 3 2009, 05:04 PM']It's very clear and powerful for a 15 incher, but sounds even better with a 2x10 on top (preferably 4 ohm, which boosts the amps power from 300 to 350 watts. A 2 ohm cab would boost it to 400.) I like it with the tweeter set to -6db.[/quote]

Er, not sure about that. From the manual:

Power Ratings (minimum)
350 Watts @ 4 ohms (internal cabinet)
400 Watts @ 2.6 ohms (with 8 ohms extension cabinet)
450 Watts @ 2 ohms (with 4 ohm extension cabinet)

A 2 ohm external cab would take the load below 2 ohms -- 4 ohms is the minimum for an external cab. :)

[quote name='escholl' post='532350' date='Jul 4 2009, 11:40 AM']Er, not sure about that. From the manual:

Power Ratings (minimum)
350 Watts @ 4 ohms (internal cabinet)
400 Watts @ 2.6 ohms (with 8 ohms extension cabinet)
450 Watts @ 2 ohms (with 4 ohm extension cabinet)

A 2 ohm external cab would take the load below 2 ohms -- 4 ohms is the minimum for an external cab. :)[/quote]

Ah sorry! thanks for clearing that up! :rolleyes:

Well its a bit later on and the result.........

It didn't work out. Unfortunately there was a fault with the amp so it went back today an i am getting a refund. From what I heard from limited playing itdid sound like an awesome amp if not a little on the HUGE side of things. I have made enquiries about a Eden combo but have not heard back yet. Just for the record though I would like to say what a pleasure it has been to deal with Guitar Guitar so far. Mark their online sales chap has been so much help and more than friendly. They even paid to have the amp sent back to Newcastle which is more than I can say for some companies.

So I am back to the drawing board now. Once my refund comes through I will be looking around and trawling the sales threads for a new setup. At the moment I am really fancying a MarkBass Head with some Aguilar 112 Cabs, but we shall see, I change my mind so often.

What was wrong with the amp? I played this one in the shop but didn't buy because it was very noisy when I turned master right up. I ended up buying the Workingmans 2x10C combo from them instead.
GuitarGuitar have always treated me right, it's why I keep going back.