Why become a member? ×

straplocks and leads!

TGEvans

two questions need answering people.first off i need a new set of strap locks. who make the best ones???? and i will be needing a lead to go from a power amp to my cab.speakon to jack.any ideas where i can get something really good? thanks,tim

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='528624' date='Jun 30 2009, 02:01 PM']Strap locks - I like Schallers, but other BC-ers may differ...

[url="http://www.schaller-guitarparts.de"]http://www.schaller-guitarparts.de[/url] - see 'security locks'[/quote]

Schallers - top notch. Have used them for years.

Obbm for leads.

General consensus around these parts are the Dunlop straplocks are the best, however Schallers come a very close second, just be wary that you need to use threadlock on the nut to secure it 100% as depending on strap thickness, there's not alot of turns left, and that the screws that Schaller use are ever so slightly thinner and shorter than Fender's at the very least.

Guest BassKS

+1 on the Grolsch. I for one use similar seal but mine come from spares to an ex yougoslav car named, unwittingly, YUGO. It had a cameo appearance in DIE HARD III.

but not very easy if you dont have 5 straps and you like teh same strap on a P, MM and Jazz.

[quote name='Buzz' post='529299' date='Jul 1 2009, 03:16 AM'].. Schallers come a very close second, just be wary that you need to use threadlock on the nut to secure it 100% as depending on strap thickness, there's not alot of turns left, and that the screws that Schaller use are ever so slightly thinner and shorter than Fender's at the very least.[/quote]

+1

Even though I use Schallers, I readily concede this point. Def need to get the old spanner out to ensure full-whack tightness. And every Schaller screw should come with a cocktail stick to shove in the hole.

So much for Teutonic Thoroughness.

[quote name='Buzz' post='529299' date='Jul 1 2009, 03:16 AM']Obbm for leads.

General consensus around these parts are the Dunlop straplocks are the best, however Schallers come a very close second, just be wary that you need to use threadlock on the nut to secure it 100% as depending on strap thickness, there's not alot of turns left, and that the screws that Schaller use are ever so slightly thinner and shorter than Fender's at the very least.[/quote]

I just fitted 2 Schaller strap locks to both my Laklands last night. The screw that came out of the body was fatter than the one that Schaller provide. So I had to re-use the Lakland screws. However, the Laklnad screw is too big to go through the Schaller fittings so I spent the next 2 hours filing by hand 4 Lakland screws and the hole where the head goes through and the screw goes through on the Schaller fittings. My hands today are now dead :):)

[quote name='Linus27' post='529595' date='Jul 1 2009, 02:03 PM']I just fitted 2 Schaller strap locks to both my Laklands last night. The screw that came out of the body was fatter than the one that Schaller provide. So I had to re-use the Lakland screws. However, the Laklnad screw is too big to go through the Schaller fittings so I spent the next 2 hours filing by hand 4 Lakland screws and the hole where the head goes through and the screw goes through on the Schaller fittings. My hands today are now dead :):)[/quote]

Or you could just have rammed a cocktail-stick in the hole. With the 396 leftovers, you could have had an entertaining 'cheese and pineapple on a cocktail-stick' soiree.

[size=1][i]Sophisticated party nibble - amaze your friends and baffle your enemies[/i][/size]

[quote name='Linus27' post='529595' date='Jul 1 2009, 02:03 PM']I just fitted 2 Schaller strap locks to both my Laklands last night. The screw that came out of the body was fatter than the one that Schaller provide. So I had to re-use the Lakland screws. However, the Laklnad screw is too big to go through the Schaller fittings so I spent the next 2 hours filing by hand 4 Lakland screws and the hole where the head goes through and the screw goes through on the Schaller fittings. My hands today are now dead :):)[/quote]

You do know if you've got a powerdrill and a vice handy you can clamp the screw in the drill bit, clamp the drill in the vice, then just set it on a slowish speed and hold a file to it to save time and give you an even head?

Well you do now :rolleyes:

(Credit for the drill trick goes to someone on this forum, I think it was one of the people who've made their own basses but I can't remember)

I have used both Dunlops and Schallers for years. In my experience the Schallers are more robust and secure, lasting longer than the Dunlops.

Oh yeah, regarding the leads, there is nothing like Neutrik plugs.

Edited by Fraktal

Dunlops are my favoured straplocks, rock solid hold and they don't need tightening, and the dual design ones can be used with other straps as well. The flush mounted ones are good but can be a pain if you don't have a strap with the locks on.

Zach

used to use schallers, now moved over to dunlops because 1: the fit was [i]slightly[/i] less fiddly 2: the whole having-to-make-sure-you-keep-the-nut-tight-or-the-bottom-drops-outta-your-world 3: the bit on the strap was easier to fit into my old bass case :)

It's 6 and two 3's tho...they both do exactly what it says on the tin!

Just had some Marvel ones delivered (and now fitted). They were recommended in another thread though I can't remember who by - apparently they were the ones fitted to Overwaters, and now back on mine.

Ordered from Axesrus on Sunday night at 10:03pm. 10:06pm I had an email from Axesrus to tell me that they would be in the post Monday morning - and it wasn't an automated email, I had already received those. And they only cost £8.25 including postage. Great service.

On first impression they look great and feel solid.

Bostons, which are Schaller clones. They also do Dunlop clones. The Schaller clones actually have a feature which makes them better than Schallers - they have two nuts on each locking bit, so you tighten the first one down and then lock it with the second.

It's probably just psychological, but I don't fancy the look of the Dunlop type because it's the locking mechanism which holds the bass up, rather than the Schaller type where the cradle holds the bass up and the locking mechanism just keeps it in place.

Available from [url="http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/c-52-straplocks.aspx"]Dangleberry Music[/url].

[quote name='tauzero' post='535480' date='Jul 8 2009, 10:16 AM']Bostons, which are Schaller clones .... Available from [url="http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/c-52-straplocks.aspx"]Dangleberry Music[/url].[/quote]

Excellent heads-up. I'll be trying a set of those.

Edited by skankdelvar

I've had Dunlop straplocks on my heavy Warwick and they only failed once and I think that was because I hadn't clicked them into place properly before hand. They're great but my other basses use the Grolsch bottle tops and they do the job just as well as the Dunlops as long as you're not constantly removing the straps.

If I ever get another bass which hasn't already got strap locks then I'll just use Grolsch bottle tops or shower washers.