Why become a member? ×

warwick thread

budget bassist

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1383987946' post='2271505']
I have one that I don't play... but bite marks appear on my knuckles every time I consider selling it! :lol:

[size=4][url="http://s54.photobucket.com/user/warwickhunt/media/dol2_zps25b38238.jpg.html"][/url][/size]
[/quote]

You know you want to sell it to me ;) Fretless or not, that is a stunner!

Here is a couple of your old Red on some rocks (I am treating her well, promise!)

[URL=http://s75.photobucket.com/user/KevMan69/media/DSC_0858_zps83bc68f1.jpg.html][IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/KevMan69/DSC_0858_zps83bc68f1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=http://s75.photobucket.com/user/KevMan69/media/DSC_0859_zpsfea641c4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/KevMan69/DSC_0859_zpsfea641c4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

They've made some stunning basses over the years..

Mine is coming up to 13 years old now so I guess it's not yet considered a 'vintage' one but I'd like to compare it to a new one and see the difference. And I mean a proper 'Made in Germany' example, not the lower priced ones. Not that I've anything against them, my RockBass was an excellent instrument..

I think Warwick basses do vary an awful lot. The ones I have had so far have been from 1984, 1988, 1990 x 2, 2000 and 2006. My least favourite was actually the 2000, which from what you have said is about the age of yours, but yours could be cracking! My favourites are the two 90's (the red streamer as above and a Thumb NT, which I regretfully moved on). The new ones have slimmer necks again and the 2013 models return to Wenge so would really love to try one of those.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1384084578' post='2272504']
I think Warwick basses do vary an awful lot. The ones I have had so far have been from 1984, 1988, 1990 x 2, 2000 and 2006. My least favourite was actually the 2000, which from what you have said is about the age of yours, but yours could be cracking! My favourites are the two 90's (the red streamer as above and a Thumb NT, which I regretfully moved on). The new ones have slimmer necks again and the 2013 models return to Wenge so would really love to try one of those.
[/quote]

Interesting insight, thanks for that..

I've played a few others although not sure about their year of build. One was a 4 string Stage one but was a bit of a freak as it had a maple neck as opposed the usual ovangkol / wenge. It sounded a bit 'lighter' and dare I say it, a bit more Fender than Warwick. Great looking and playing tho. The same chap used to have (may still?) a bolt on thumb and that was pretty cool offering the more traditional Warwick sound. I struggle withe ergonomics of the thumbs tho, it always feels like they're 'too far over' if you catch my drift. Another chap used to have an all singing all dancing 5 string thumb with the thru-neck and stripes, bright blue simms LEDs, turbocharged bartolini pre-amp and pickups etc. Great bass but he struggled with the ergonomics too.

Of all that I've played, I still feel really lucky that mine has the closest embodiment of what I percieve to be the 'Warwick' sound. The thing growls and barks just the way I like. :D

Good.

The DR black beauties look great but they does don't sound quite good enough. The G is fairly dead, which I believe is very common with these strings. Stunting my opinion a little on the tone at the moment as I haven't tried any other sets of rounds on it. Sounds fantastic with flats and quarterounds. Bass itself does sound great though, feels good too, although the wider spacing will take a little getting into. Finest pieces of Ovangkol I have seen in the flesh, it's a gorgeous design. I actually couldn't imagine preferring the neck in wenge, which is not something I thought I would say about a Warwick. Also pleasantly light at about 9lb 4oz

I have a brass Just a nut III on the way to replace the plastic III that is currently installed. Beyond me how Warwick could ship £4k+ basses and not include the brass nut (this is a 2010 model so the brass III existed), but at least they have fixed that now. Nothing wrong with the plastic, but definitely fancy the brass with the gold hardware/frets :)

Money isn't great at the moment and I spent more on the Dolphin than I wanted to, so I may find myself having to choose between this and the Streamer, but hopefully no rush on that front.

Nice! I tried several types of strings on mine before settling for standard slinkies. Low Riders sound very very good on a lolphin as well.
Not that I care a great deal about strings, I just find it convenient to use the same on all basses. The others were all wearing slinkies already so...

Lo Rider nickel or steel? Iv always felt nickel is the best for Warwick, but I had the nickels on a Roscoe bass earlier this year, thought they were ok but not brilliant. Im not sure if I would fine the steels too bright/rough/fret noise?

Don't really get on with slinkies, just seem to lose their tone quicker than any other strings.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha nice dolphin Kev ! ( I guess you won't want the black beauties now ? )
I've used round wounds on mine for the last 20 years. That was until I discovered flat wounds a couple of months ago!!
I did try tapes and they were ok but too dull.

Got chrome flats on it now. Just what I've wanted to hear since I've owned it. I've always found the top end too bright so virtually never use the treble pot leaving wound right back.
Now with flats I have the 'right to my' ear kind of brightness when needed not the sharpness I'd always heard before with rounds. Shame it took so long to experiment, I started playing in the 70s as a kid, stopped in the late nineties and shelved my gear, picking it up more often in the past 12 months.

Morning fellow Warwick owners. Has anyone had success in getting deep scratches fixed on the oil-type finishes? There was a bit of a DIY accident a few years ago; as you'll see from the below picture the cut has gone through the laquer & the stained wood through to the wood underneith & left quite a jagged line through the laquer finish.

At the time I was hoping the it would gently wear away to become less obvious but nothing has really happened so I've decided to try to fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about it please?

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1385841647' post='2292820']
Ha ha nice dolphin Kev ! ( I guess you won't want the black beauties...
[/quote]
I am after spares, and the G is a little dead in my set too. Iv adapted to the strings now (tried hard as they look so bloody good!) and I now quite like them! I have some Aurora black strings on order, giving them a go.