Why become a member? ×

warwick thread

budget bassist

Having just looked back through this whole thread (sad I know but several recent postings have had me craving for Warwick p*rn :D ), I realised that I said back on page 1 or 2 that I'd post up pics of some of my past Warwicks... and I didn't! So here goes (there me be some overlap/duplication as time went by).

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/100_2305.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/Collection001.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/Collection002.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/basses004.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/BassesOct03.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/warwickhunt/5warwicks.jpg[/IMG]

Just realised that the basses/walls/houses may have changed over the years but that sofa has remained true! :lol:

To Warwickhunt - absolutely stunning collection of wicks you have or had! Something akin to Cetera's Spector collection! But, what's the lowdown the glittery Streamer on the last pic - the one inbetween the Dolphin and Stage 2?? Very intriguing!

Edited by Bassulike66

8 string Streamer (late 80's) formerly belonging to KRAAN bassist [color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Hellmut Hattler, with a hand-painted/sprayed finish (signed by the artist). Typical Warwick woods and construction with a pair of MEC P pups. It was a great sounding bass and not too different to play from a 4 string but the 8 string sound doesn't suit every band/song! ;)[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]I sold it on ebay some years back and had masses of interest from the USA and Europe but it ended up selling in the UK.[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1357429902' post='1922692']
WH, tough question for you. Do you have a fave? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

In terms of tone there is only one out of all of those basses that has stood the test of time (though I would like to revisit one or two) and it is an all maple (except for the neck stringers) 1990 SSI... probably the least auspicious of all of my basses but in outright terms 'my' personal favourite! However, it is about a lb or two heavier than I would like, if it were 8lb in weight it would be my absolute one and only bass; though if it were that much lighter would it still sound the same? ;)

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1357434859' post='1922738']
So it's 10 pounds?!
[/quote]

No, I said my 'ideal' weight for a bass would be about 8lb.

The particular bass I'm referring to is 9lb 6oz and I said that it was a lb or two heavier than I'd like. I actually have a Streamer that is 7lb 14oz but it isn't the same maple/maple construction and thus it is less focused. ;)

However, I did have a Ltd Ed Streamer which I sold recently and that was over 10lb... hence my selling it.

That's fair enough man, can't fault your choice. Love all those Warwicks although that 8 string isn't to my particular tastes!

I love my LX5 (as seen on the prevoius? page) and it's stood the test of time. Lots of Fenders, a Status, a Yam amongst others have all come and gone but it's still here.

Gotta love 'em! :D

Iv got quite a few Warwicks already (as many of you know), but always fancied a Corvette $$ custom shop........jus as i get ready to place my order, the 2013 price list hits and theres a price rise of £600 at least for the basis.........thats before any custom options??? How can a £600 price rise be justified? Honestly?

[quote name='MarkusWarwick' timestamp='1357919821' post='1930655']
Iv got quite a few Warwicks already (as many of you know), but always fancied a Corvette $$ custom shop........jus as i get ready to place my order, the 2013 price list hits and theres a price rise of £600 at least for the basis.........thats before any custom options??? How can a £600 price rise be justified? Honestly?
[/quote]

I just checked - I paid £1995 for my 4 string bolt-on thumb in Sep 2011, and they've just gone up to £2699! Wow - that's madness :(

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1357462141' post='1922818']
No, I said my 'ideal' weight for a bass would be about 8lb.

The particular bass I'm referring to is 9lb 6oz and I said that it was a lb or two heavier than I'd like. I actually have a Streamer that is 7lb 14oz but it isn't the same maple/maple construction and thus it is less focused. ;)

However, I did have a Ltd Ed Streamer which I sold recently and that was over 10lb... hence my selling it.
[/quote] :( there is part of me that would love to sell you my superlight one, some kind of bass karma.

If anyones looking for a Thumb with a bit of unique history, Cass Lewis's pink one that he used with TT Darby is for sale on eBay at the moment

Heres the linky

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warwick-Thumb-Bass-1988-unique-collectable-with-provenance-/230907649436?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35c32b1d9c

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1357976338' post='1931178']
...Bluey eventually repays me! B)

Patently I'd offer folding stuff or a Roadworn Jazz! ;)
[/quote] out of interest what is the difference between a good sounding streamer and a not so good? I was shocked how different bluey and my current one sound.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1357988291' post='1931338']
out of interest what is the difference between a good sounding streamer and a not so good? I was shocked how different bluey and my current one sound.
[/quote]

Interesting... I would think that the main difference between your present SSI and Bluey is the density of the woods; a sub 8lb bass IMHO will sound different to a 9-10lb instrument. On basses of similar weights there is little discernible differences (that I can hear) other than between Streamers that have differing pup configs or body/neck woods. In a blind test I've not been able to tell the difference between MEC / EMG equipped Streamers from different years (assuming they don't differ significantly in woods/construction/weight); though the difference between say a SSI with the early predominantly wenge neck and the later maple neck is very noticeable (obviously the Ltd Ed/SSI/SSII basses do sound vastly different).

In conclusion; wood density/weight. My red SSI is over 9lb but it sounds significantly tighter/fuller/more piano like, than any other 'light-weight' SSI that I have had. However, I am prepared to sacrifice a bit of tone to save weight. :rolleyes:

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1357991760' post='1931436']

Interesting... I would think that the main difference between your present SSI and Bluey is the density of the woods; a sub 8lb bass IMHO will sound different to a 9-10lb instrument. On basses of similar weights there is little discernible differences (that I can hear) other than between Streamers that have differing pup configs or body/neck woods. In a blind test I've not been able to tell the difference between MEC / EMG equipped Streamers from different years (assuming they don't differ significantly in woods/construction/weight); though the difference between say a SSI with the early predominantly wenge neck and the later maple neck is very noticeable (obviously the Ltd Ed/SSI/SSII basses do sound vastly different).

In conclusion; wood density/weight. My red SSI is over 9lb but it sounds significantly tighter/fuller/more piano like, than any other 'light-weight' SSI that I have had. However, I am prepared to sacrifice a bit of tone to save weight. :rolleyes:
[/quote] interesting, from memory bluey sounded more compressed and processed, natural opened the sound up, deeper bottom end, more natural sounding, and brighter too. When I stuck the barts in it the slightly softer attack made it very pianolike, but maybe emphesised differently to bluey. Natural is a lot lot more resonant acoustically too. Interesting to see such differences between two basses made 3 months apart from each other.
Mind you the ACG preamp it now sports has changed the way it sounds a fair bit too!