Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar / Double Bass - Who Plays What?

Cat Burrito

A long time ago in a Galaxy far, far away (well 1995 somewhere in the West Country) my wife said I could get a double bass. Nearly 15yrs later this finally looks like it's going to finally be happening. I've traded in some old kit at my local music store & this [b]will[/b] now be a dream come true.

It got me to thinking, what do you guys play & who actually wants to play stand up bass as well as a bass guitar? Are you happy with where you are or do you stretch yourself (quite literally!)?

Just not looking forward to lugging it about!

BB

PS Apologies for those who's lifestyle choices are not covered by my poll.

I voted bass guitar only. But I used to own an Ashbory... what catagory would that fall into!?

I am seriously considering getting an Ashbory again, there are more and more floating around again now so tempted to pick one up again. They used to handle effect soooo well... :-)

[quote name='Eight' post='518509' date='Jun 19 2009, 04:00 PM']What about

O I play bass guitar but own a double bass[/quote]

I kind of agree with this. I own an upright, play it in the house, and have even used it in a couple of gigs, but in the presence of the likes of Jakesbass and co, I wouldn't dare to call myself an upright player.

been playing bass guitar for some 5, will be 6 years in september...

about 3 years ago in school the wind instructor heard me jamming some weather report and asked if i wanted to play double bass with the wind band (never played one before that).. a year later i ended up touring italy with a string orchestra. was awesome. :)

now I tend to do a bit of both, almost always bass guitar but now and then some hip hop guys from the music college will chuck me a few bob to go in and do the odd doublebassline for a sample. kind of how I like it tbh - I get to whap out the db when I feel like it, and use it just enough to justify having it - but I don't have to go through the hassle of taking it to every gig I play.

plus, playing "lovecats" is a sure way to any woman's pants. :lol:

edit: I do actually play with electric jazz funk bands, and a good swing group (we were on bgt for some 29 seconds this year :rolleyes: ) but to be honest I almost just bring the bass guitar... granted, nothing swings like a DB - but most of our gigs involve heading down the motorway in my drummers polo, and it's just not worth the hassle to everyone for me.

one of those fancy electric ones would be pretty cool, but for that I'd have to be gigging more to justify buying one.

Edited by Tech

I play bass guitar ... but one gig I do regularly they really like really like me to play the Stagg skinny upright basically cos it looks better - or maybe because I can only play a third of the notes per bar and find all of it so hard I have to really concentrate and not tell so many bad jokes ..
Whatever, the band, and th epunters just love it ...

I'd like a double bass, I used to mess around on my sister-in-law's school double bass many moons ago. First I need to get my double bass specific speaker cab finished though! (I also have some thoughts about building an electric upright that has a much more authentic note envelope but that'll have to go on the backburner for now...)

I have a strange desire to front a big band playing double bass whilst singing, would be an interesting combination.

Alex

Since taking it up 2 years ago, the DB has become my main instrument - so much so that I joined a band with no interest in the DB sound just so my electric gets some use. ^_^

+1 on 'love cats' - it's my soundcheck tune and always gets a bit of attention....

Yup I play double bass as well :) , do orchestral and jazz stuff with it.

My teacher set me up well though, when he started teaching me bass guitar he taught me a fretting hand technique that works for bass and also will keep you exactly on the spot on a double bass too. What can I say? I love the guy. Also doing the finger technique for double bass on a regular bass sounds kinda meaty too :rolleyes:

I currently only play bass guitar, but used to own an EUB (a Big Kydd converted to lefty for me) for about a year that I've gigged with a few times. In the end I found myself playing it very little, and I found myself able to mimic the tone very closely with my fretless Sandberg Bullet 5, so I ended up selling it and have not regretted it. From the money I got for it I bought my Rickenbacker 4003 and I couldn't be happier.

Edited by LeftyJ