Why become a member? ×

Switching between two basses

mike257

Like it says on the tin. I've got my Sandberg strung up with flats, and it sounds the absolute business, but I'd occasionally fancy the extra bit of bite of rounds on a couple of songs. I'm planning on employing my uber-modded Squire P (BadAss/Wizards etc), but the active Sandberg kicks out a much higher level. I'd like to be able to switch between them without having to screw around with my amp to compensate, particularly as I'm usually DI'd straight from the bass for gigs.

Anybody got any suggestions for solving this dilemma? Preferably ones that don't break the bank, I've just moved house :)

I'd say the ToneBone BassBone is a good idea...but it would break the bank...so...I don't know but there might be AB / Y pedals out there that go the other way maybe?
2 inputs into one output instead of 1 input into 2 outputs.

Either way you want to balance the volume...The BassBone is the one but it's not cheap.

Perhaps even a little 2 channel mixer, something like [url="http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_product.php?product=artpowermixii"]THIS[/url], though I'm sure there are cheaper options out there than that even!

[quote name='mike257' post='505649' date='Jun 4 2009, 05:58 PM']Like it says on the tin. I've got my Sandberg strung up with flats, and it sounds the absolute business, but I'd occasionally fancy the extra bit of bite of rounds on a couple of songs. I'm planning on employing my uber-modded Squire P (BadAss/Wizards etc), but the active Sandberg kicks out a much higher level. I'd like to be able to switch between them without having to screw around with my amp to compensate, particularly as I'm usually DI'd straight from the bass for gigs.

Anybody got any suggestions for solving this dilemma? Preferably ones that don't break the bank, I've just moved house :)[/quote]

EBS Micro bass will do the job. And they're brilliant bits of kit.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='505902' date='Jun 4 2009, 10:18 PM']Radial Bassbone is the answer if you don't mind paying out about £150 second hand - I've never regretted it.[/quote]

+1
My reply was just that. :)

[quote name='acidbass' post='505774' date='Jun 4 2009, 07:55 PM']Perhaps even a little 2 channel mixer, something like [url="http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_product.php?product=artpowermixii"]THIS[/url], though I'm sure there are cheaper options out there than that even![/quote]

Great company, have delt with them before.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='ped' post='505904' date='Jun 4 2009, 10:21 PM']You got volume knobs on the basses? ;0)[/quote]

:) Haha, I knew that was going to turn up sooner or later! I have, of course, but they get used already during the set, so getting back to the 'right' level every time isn't going to be particularly reliable. I need something idiot-proof that I don't have to fiddle with in the dark on stage.

Cheers for all the good suggestions, the LS2 would be a handy thing to have around for all kinds of reasons. The Bassbone is lovely, but like you said, a bank buster, and possibly more features than I need. I was mooching around Radial's website though, and saw the Bigshot I/O, which looks just the ticket (and a whole load cheaper!). Two inputs, one with a level control to attenuate the louder bass, and a switchable tuner output. Hmmmm.

i would second the suggestion for an Boss LS2, it's an excellent piece of kit for all sorts switching and effects stuff. you would be able to match the volumes between the sandberg and the squire and then use the footswitch to go between the two.

[quote name='bozzbass' post='506138' date='Jun 5 2009, 10:02 AM']i would second the suggestion for an Boss LS2, it's an excellent piece of kit for all sorts switching and effects stuff. you would be able to match the volumes between the sandberg and the squire and then use the footswitch to go between the two.[/quote]

+1, and as I stated earlier the fact that they solve a number of other solutions mean that its a pedal worth keeping even if the reason for you buying it changes.

Dan

Are you bothered about changing leads?

If not you could do it really simply with one box. It'll have one footswitch, the switch just engages an automatic (or set with a knob) drop. On true bypass it does nothing, on stomping you lose the extra by the amount you've set, obviously it still requires lead changes and to remember which instrument is in your hands in reference to the box being on or not. But it's very simple.

If you want both basses plugged in all the time, an AB box with level controls on just one of the input channels would do the trick, just plug the active into the input with the knob, the passive into B, and set the active to be the same level. Then just stomp when you switch instruments.

No need to make everything too complex. There's probably some commercial pedals that do it, or at the very least, there will be circuit diagrams available for a spot of DIY.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='mike257' post='506117' date='Jun 5 2009, 09:25 AM']:) Haha, I knew that was going to turn up sooner or later! I have, of course, but they get used already during the set, so getting back to the 'right' level every time isn't going to be particularly reliable. I need something idiot-proof that I don't have to fiddle with in the dark on stage.[/quote]
If the active bass has a trimpot on the circuitboard you can preset it to put out the same maximum level as the other bass.

[quote name='mike257' post='506117' date='Jun 5 2009, 09:25 AM']:) Haha, I knew that was going to turn up sooner or later! I have, of course, but they get used already during the set, so getting back to the 'right' level every time isn't going to be particularly reliable. I need something idiot-proof that I don't have to fiddle with in the dark on stage.[/quote]

Pah, just admit it - you want a new toy!! :0)

[quote name='ped' post='508203' date='Jun 8 2009, 01:59 PM']Pah, just admit it - you want a new toy!! :0)[/quote]

Haha, it's true, I'm missing all the twinkly lights since I stopped using my pedalboard! You've seen right through me :)

Are either of your basses active? the way I achieved a balance of volume between my two basses was to install one of these chaps in the quiter of the two basses: [url="http://www.emginc.com/products/index/135"]http://www.emginc.com/products/index/135[/url] - this model has a switch, but you can get one without if you contact EMG. It adds a little boost control you set with a screw driver. I mounted my PT-2 in the control compartment out the way.. Set And Forget! Cheaper than any pedal or other gadget you need to plug in or have to lug around.

You'll be chuffed to hear it also works with passive pickups too - and the best bit... when I installed it, I actually heard an improvement in bass tone, not just volume boost. well, it made sense to me.. you were sending a better signal down the guitar cable, which has GOT to be a good thing. If you buy the version with the switch, you obviously have the ability to bypass the boost as well.