Why become a member? ×

Classic rock covers

I've been asked whether I'll stand in for a local classic rock covers band for a few gigs. I generally play doom and stoner metal so have no idea how difficult it would be to learn an hour and a half of standard classic rock. Is it generally easy root note plodding or does it tend to be quite complex? I've just never really listened to this sort of stuff but I know they're a decent bunch so it could be fun

It all depends, if material such as Led Zep, Kansas, Dio-era Rainbow then quite complex. We do this stuff in my non-gigging band and I love it, it’s made me a much better bassist so I’d say go for it Steve.

• Like 2

I guess that like anything it's about how close they want you to get to the original. Some classic rock is fairly straight forward, some is more complicated but can be simplified and some has to be played as recorded as the bass forms an important part of the song. I was asked to learn 'Fool For Your Loving' exactly as on the record for an audition and once I sat down to listen to the bass parts, I found there were more notes than I thought! 😃 But I could have got away with playing less had they not insisted on complete accuracy. I assume you have the set list so you could categorise the songs into 'Easy to learn', 'Easy version of tricky bass line' and 'Iconic bassline that needs to be played'.

Ultimately the band will set you right on what they want. Personally, I don't like the phrase 'get away with' so I'd be learning the basslines as they are or versions I can learn quickly that are sympathetic to the song. 

Go for it and good luck. 😃

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Very broadly speaking, bassline complexity is inversely proportional to the age of the song.

... which is why Sibelius is not often on the set list. :|

:lol: :P

23 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Classic Rock is a very broad term, it could mean Highway To Hell or Won't Get Fooled Again.

Warning - Quo is deceptively tricky!

I will not play Status Quo. There's a line and that crosses it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Get a setlist and have a listen.
As people have said, it'll probably range from simple to tricky and everything inbetween.
I'd say go for it - learning stuff you don't normally play is a great way to get better, it's easy money (presuming the gigs are paid?), gigging is generally better than not gigging, being the first call dep in a gigging band is a good place to be, classic rock can be a lot of fun to play (especially if they're a nice bunch of guys) and you'll almost certainly find some stuff you'll end up liking.
Keep us posted!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, steantval said:

That sounds as though it requires a visit to this place.

IMG_2033.webp

That's a coincidence you were on your way as you read that post.

Apparently putting yoghurt on the infected area can help. A friend said not to use a crunch corner though

• Haha 1

On 19/05/2024 at 11:45, SteveXFR said:

I've been asked whether I'll stand in for a local classic rock covers band for a few gigs. I generally play doom and stoner metal so have no idea how difficult it would be to learn an hour and a half of standard classic rock. Is it generally easy root note plodding or does it tend to be quite complex? I've just never really listened to this sort of stuff but I know they're a decent bunch so it could be fun

I'd imagine playing in standard tuning would probably seem odd to you initially . 
For me , all of the classic rock covers were in standard tuning . From what I remember , thin Lizzy and quo tuned down a half step although I stand to be corrected . 
Avoid hotel California imho, as for me it was tough and I couldn't do it in my ltd capabilities . 
Paranoid is easy Peasy , and wishing well was easy enough . My fave to play was black night . 
Maybe put the list on here if you're unsure of some ? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

For me , all of the classic rock covers were in standard tuning . From what I remember , thin Lizzy and quo tuned down a half step although I stand to be corrected .

I think a few classic rock bands tuned down a semitone - makes it sound more girthsome and the strings bend easier.
Also, on a few older recordings they might be in tune with each other but 'a bit' out of tune with a modern tuner - get a music player that can alter pitch to save you retuning between each song.
I'm still using Winamp 2.8 which has a great plugin for just such occasions!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

I think a few classic rock bands tuned down a semitone - makes it sound more girthsome and the strings bend easier.
Also, on a few older recordings they might be in tune with each other but 'a bit' out of tune with a modern tuner - get a music player that can alter pitch to save you retuning between each song.
I'm still using Winamp 2.8 which has a great plugin for just such occasions!

Good points ! 
I don't gig anymore , but tbh if I did I'd get a 5 string and have done with it . ( I couldn't properly focus on 5 string at the time due to moving around enthusiastically on stage 😬

One thing I remenber being in a blues band that played obscure tracks, was when the guitarists put hair bands on the 3rd or 5th fret when they 'down tuned ' .. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 19/05/2024 at 12:57, Franticsmurf said:

I was asked to learn 'Fool For Your Loving' exactly as on the record for an audition and once I sat down to listen to the bass parts, I found there were more notes than I thought! 😃 But I could have got away with playing less had they not insisted on complete accuracy.

Probably the same thought that Rudy Sarzo had. He got away with it 😎

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TimR said:

Most of the classic rock songs that were tuned down, we just play in standard tuning. No one has commented. 

That's what the dad rock band I was in did. However a couple of the bass lines were surprisingly easier to play at the recorded pitch in standard tuning. Having to transpose up a semi-tone made then slightly harder...

On 19/05/2024 at 19:04, SteveXFR said:

I will not play Status Quo. There's a line and that crosses it.

Oh don't be that snob. Rattle into Big Fat Mama, Softer Ride and Forty Five Hundred Times and find a new world of wonder 😃

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

That's what the dad rock band I was in did. However a couple of the bass lines were surprisingly easier to play at the recorded pitch in standard tuning. Having to transpose up a semi-tone made then slightly harder...

Why would one play a semi-tone higher, if it plays well in standard tuning..? If it must be done (singer's voice, maybe..?) a first-fret capo would do the job, no..? :/

45 minutes ago, NoRhino said:

Oh don't be that snob. Rattle into Big Fat Mama, Softer Ride and Forty Five Hundred Times and find a new world of wonder 😃

I was forced to endure their set at Glastonbury and now I dislike them even more than before 

• Haha 1

On 19/05/2024 at 18:06, TimR said:

Standing in?

Root notes, important bass riffs, smile, foot on the monitor, and get it done.

@TimR fixed it for you 😉

• Haha 1