Why become a member? ×

What key is This Love by Maroon 5 in?

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Unless you are intending to create new parts for the song rather than following what's on the definitive recording, does it matter?

Of course it matters - a guitarist and a drummer are wrong and need corrected, tag team style with a keys player.  Get your head in the game! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Posted (edited)

Keys players are usually pretty clued up as they can see the notes of the chords. Guitarists tend to play shapes. 

Cm, with a few suspense/transition chords like the G7 and the F.

The bass line is great with a lot of chromatic lines from memory. 

piano-chords-in-the-key-of-c-minor-746x1024.thumb.png.9cc38acf41a9c811f804244290d31024.png

Edited by TimR

Posted (edited)

The reason I'm asking is that we're using the arrangement of the live version of the song with drop outs at the start of both verses. This live version is one semitone lower than the studio version, but we're playing the song in whatever is the key of the studio version. In the live version, at the end of the first chorus, just before the drop out at the start of verse 2 are three stabs - three notes. Playing in the key of the original version (Cm?), on the bass, I think they're G#, Bb, B.  Guitarist is saying they are G, A, Bb. Much discussion at rehearsal. Here's the live version transposed up 1 semitone. The three notes in question are at 1:16. What are those 3 notes on the bass, please? 

Edited by solo4652

Are you sure that you've only transposed that up 1 semi-tone. The singer sounds like Mini Mouse, compared with the version I'm vaguely familiar with.

Even if you do work out the key for the main part of the song, how do you know that it doesn't change for this particular part or that a note from outside of the key was used because it sounded better? Use your ears and play the notes that you think sound right.

39 minutes ago, solo4652 said:

The reason I'm asking is that we're using the arrangement of the live version of the song with drop outs at the start of both verses. This live version is one semitone lower than the studio version, but we're playing the song in whatever is the key of the studio version. In the live version, at the end of the first chorus, just before the drop out at the start of verse 2 are three stabs - three notes. Playing in the key of the original version (Cm?), on the bass, I think they're G#, Bb, B.  Guitarist is saying they are G, A, Bb. Much discussion at rehearsal. Here's the live version transposed up 1 semitone. The three notes in question are at 1:16. What are those 3 notes on the bass, please? 

I agree with you - G# Bb B .

53 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I agree with you - G# Bb B .

Surely G♯ A♯ B. Let's not encourage this mixing of sharps and flats. Although in Cm, I suppose that should really be A♭ B♭ C♭.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Surely G♯ A♯ B. Let's not encourage this mixing of sharps and flats. Although in Cm, I suppose that should really be A♭ B♭ C♭.

The thing is, there are more minor keys than there are major (natural minor, melodic and harmonic), and this song sounds more harmonic minor than anything with the flattened 6th (Ab) and major 7th (B) being fairly prominent throughout. So to be enharmonically correct I think it would be Ab, Bb, B.  The Bb is a chromatic approach note to the B and technically an accidental here.

Quite unusual for a pop song these days

I may be wrong though.

Edited by Belka

Posted (edited)

Thank you to all those who've checked the 3 notes for me - it seems we're all in agreement regarding what they are. That's the most important thing as far as I'm concerned. As for what they're called - well, being honest, that's of less importance to me.

Edited by solo4652

It's definitely in Cm (though one could argue the chorus is actually in Eb, which uses the same notes). The verses start out on a dominant G resolving to tonic Cm, probably confusing those who just think 'first chord = key'.

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

I heartily applaud the modern fashion for writing everything in C and making every deviation from the major scale an accidental.

• Haha 4

On the studio version the key is 3b's (Eb). The first chord is a dominant 7 1st Inversion:

(G7/B)

This chap below has it nailed (accompanied with a scrolling video).

All the Bass notes, chord terminology/changes etc are correct.

For non-readers, he has provided tab as well.

• Like 2