Why become a member? ×

Where do you stand in a five piece band

3 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Oh, it's you, you nerd! ;)

Busted!

Not limited to the size of the band, if I’m singing, I tend to be somewhere up front, if there’s room, as I can be quite animated. If I’m not singing, wherever works for the size of the staging area.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

Just now, Baloney Balderdash said:

Davie504?

CharlesBerthoud?

Are you aware that a smiley on the end of a sentence means that the preceeding information is not to be taken seriously?  See, no smiley this time, so it's a genuine question.

Just now, ezbass said:

...wherever works for the size of the staging area.

Agreed. I'd rather be on the hi-hat side of the drummer, but I've played on stages so small that it was more a game of human Tetris than a matter of choice.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, neepheid said:

Are you aware that a smiley on the end of a sentence means that the preceeding information is not to be taken seriously?  See, no smiley this time, so it's a genuine question.

Yes, and that is exactly why my reply in the same line of thoughts was a humorous comment to that as well.

Insinuating that you were of the younger generation who are not familiar with any of the bass players I listed in my first comment, but only of YouTube celebrities.  

Are you aware that you don't have to use emotes to be funny, or that not every comment not followed by an emote is genuine, and that not every comment followed by an emote isn't genuine? ;)

And that sometimes jokes can be very genuine too.

Also sometimes explaining that you are joking takes away from the genuineness of the joke?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Just now, Baloney Balderdash said:

Yes, and that is exactly why my reply was a humorous comment to that as well.

Insinuating that you were of the younger generation who are not familiar with any of the first bass players I listed, but only of YouTube cellebetrties. 

I'm touched, but I'll cop to being an old fart and of course aware of every name you mentioned, old and new, because I am a nerd.

• Like 1

Just now, wateroftyne said:

Just dropped by to say the title of this thread would be a great opening line for a song.

Where do you stand in a five piece band ?

Why does everything on Basschat inevitably have to turn into another bloody argument, just relax, it's just a discussion forum, not really of any import in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah yeah yeah !

Sorry, some of it doesn't scan very well.

;) :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Where do you stand in a five piece band ?

Why does everything on Basschat inevitably have to turn into another bloody argument, just relax, it's just a discussion forum, not really of any import in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah yeah yeah !

Sorry, some of it doesn't scan very well.

;) :)

I was just trying to be funny, but I see not very successfully, perhaps it would have made it funnier if I had indicated my jokes with emotes. ;)  

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

3 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I was just trying to be funny, but I see not very successfully, perhaps it would have made it funnier if I had indicated my jokes with emotes. ;)  

Now you're getting it! ;)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Why does everything on Basschat inevitably have to turn into another bloody argument

This seems to be the current state of play in many threads, sadly.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

This seems to be the current state of play in many threads, sadly.

Which is why I'll always err on the side of humour.  I am a stirrer too, but there's a time and a place for it, and it should never be personal.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, obbm said:

Prefer to stand where I can see the kick drum pedal, usually next to the snare/high-hat.  This is probably why I have defective hearing and tinnitus.

Being able to see the kick drum pedal is a good idea. However I'm more concerned about the crowd seeing me. Lol

Daryl

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Just dropped by to say the title of this thread would be a great opening line for a song.

Would you stand on the left or the right

Would you stick your headstock in the singer's ear

I will try not to do it tonight

I'll stand by with a little help from the band

I'll squeeze in with a little help from the band

Gonna try with a little help from the band

Dum dum de dum with a little help from the band

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Would you stand on the left or the right

Would you stick your headstock in the singer's ear

I will try not to do it tonight

I'll stand by with a little help from the band

I'll squeeze in with a little help from the band

Gonna try with a little help from the band

Dum dum de dum with a little help from the band

I just sat down and played that one on the piano. It feels like a hit to me. 😜

Almost always stood on LHS of drummer looking at the band from an audience view until we started the Glam band and the guitarist wanted to stand at that side. Then when i joined the punk band the guitarist wanted the same side. I now stand at RHS of drummer in both bands.

It doesn't really matter to me TBH.

If playing in rock bands with keys players it was usually keys on left then bass then drums and then guitarist with singer out front and that seemed to be the norm much the same as Deep Purple. 

I preferred the LHS because i didn't have to worry about hitting headstock off walls on my left plus it meant i could naturally look over my fretboard hand and it would look like i was just looking at other band members or singer etc but that's more tongue in cheek than true. :laugh1:

Don't honestly think it matters and audience probably wont notice.

Dave

• Like 1

On 19/04/2024 at 17:01, BillyBass said:

Do lefty bassists stand to the right of the drummer?

I always preferred to stand with my headstock pointing towards center stage, but I had to be careful to avoid any cymbals when I got close to the drummer. In my band we always made it a point to roam the stage a bit, and to keep filling the empty spaces - i.e. when one of the guitarists played a solo he would move to the front of the stage and we made sure to spread somewhat evenly across the stage to avoid any holes where someone stood earlier, to keep every area of the stage visually appealing (if you can call it that when my ugly mug suddenly popped up in a different spot :lol:). 

We also liked to incorporate little moments where band members made eye contact and faced eachother, and it made far more sense when I was standing toe the right of the drummer (or left when seen from the FOH) because then both the guitarist's headstock and mine would be pointed toward the audience. Felt more comfortable than the other way round, and more visually appealing for the audience. 

Either way, I always preferred to stay close to the drummer's side. 

• Like 4