Why become a member? ×

transporting bass and practice amp by bike

At the moment I drive about 2 miles to our practice space.  I can't leave anything there overnight.

I'm wondering about getting there by bike instead. 

The practice amp is a small combo.

Does anyone else do this?  If so, how?

I've cycled with a bass in a gig bag with backpack straps which was ok. On a standard bike I think a practice amp might be challenging. You might be able to bungee it on to a pannier rack but you'd need to check the rack will take the weight. Having that much weight out back can really mess with the handling as well.

Cargo bike time? 😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, velvetkevorkian said:

I've cycled with a bass in a gig bag with backpack straps which was ok. On a standard bike I think a practice amp might be challenging. You might be able to bungee it on to a pannier rack but you'd need to check the rack will take the weight. Having that much weight out back can really mess with the handling as well.

Cargo bike time? 😉

This is what I was wondering.  Thanks :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ProjeKtWEREWOLF said:

Trailer?

Potentially.  This occurred to me while allegedly sleeping last night.  It ought to be reasonably waterproof, as well, which can't hurt.

• Like 1

I've cycled around with a bass on my back before. Wasn't overly comfortable. The neck kept bashing into my helmet. I didn't have to worry about an amp, as there was something decent to use at the studio. It didn't feel overly safe cycling through the middle of Bristol like that, but I never had any actual issues. 

Most pannier racks/eyelets are rated for 25kg, so a small combo might be ok bungeed on, but I wonder if the bass might hit it?

A trailer seems like the safest option to my mind. Pop the combo in that and the bass on your back? There might be a cheapish second hand one you could buy and refurbish/sell and replace if you decide it is a good idea. 

• Like 1

If you are going to go down the trailer route, I would make sure it's one of the four-wheeled ones. I have a two wheeled one for shopping and it's not the most stable, especially when empty (it can tip over if I hit a bum ). Maybe put some thick foam in the bottom to act as a shock absorber.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Is there a PA system there?

If so - bass and a preamp unit to go straight into the PA. No amp.

Good thought, but no, sadly.

Many options present themselves when searching for "cargo bicycle" including ones with reinforced carrying racks and such.

At the rehearsal facility here in Utrecht about half the musicians get in by bike, most with instruments on their back, amps not so much.

Edited by Bolo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

Personally I wouldn't carry any favourite basses in a gigbag on a bike. Grandma to suck eggs sort of observation I guess .....

Given it's less than two miles, I'm not hugely worried.  But yes, point taken.

Sorry, as a longtime central London cyclist who commuted on a Steely Columbus Framed Racer I do confess I had my moments, fright induced primarily.

My Basso Loto was not tote your Bass and Ld110 Combo material at all...

• Like 1

On 22/04/2024 at 01:51, JottoSW1 said:

Sorry, as a longtime central London cyclist who commuted on a Steely Columbus Framed Racer I do confess I had my moments, fright induced primarily.

My Basso Loto was not tote your Bass and Ld110 Combo material at all...

Agreed, racers are not proper bikes for urban or commute situations at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bolo said:

Agreed, racers are not proper bikes for urban or commute situations at all.

The people I see using full carbon pinarellos etc make me laugh. Often using rucksacks as well. 

London cycle lanes are a terrifying lottery with massive speed differentials and untrained incompetents being unpredictable. 

• Like 1

I used to do a short bike ride to a practice studio with a Thunderbird on my back. Quite do-able, although the larger the bass the more wind assistance/resistance you get. The T-bird was fun in high winds :)

I've not carried a combo - I think if I were, a small trailer would be if interest to me. Seems to me a lot of hard rattling might not be too welcome...although it would depend on how smooth a road it is on the way.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

I took my bass and (very small) combo on the bike (and motorbike) a few times......not the most comfortable experience, particularly with a helmet on....!
I know trailers have been mentioned, what about one of those kiddie trailers? They generally have large (so more stable) wheels, usually come with a (waterproof) cover/roof, and harness (add some extra foam, strap the combo in...!?!)
I used one when helping a friend's company set up an event at a Center Parcs (so no cars/vans...), it worked pretty well
Devil's advocate, two miles isn't THAT far, why not bungee the combo/gear to a sacktruck and walk? (Also done on occasion.....)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SPHDS said:

I took my bass and (very small) combo on the bike (and motorbike) a few times......not the most comfortable experience, particularly with a helmet on....!
I know trailers have been mentioned, what about one of those kiddie trailers? They generally have large (so more stable) wheels, usually come with a (waterproof) cover/roof, and harness (add some extra foam, strap the combo in...!?!)
I used one when helping a friend's company set up an event at a Center Parcs (so no cars/vans...), it worked pretty well
Devil's advocate, two miles isn't THAT far, why not bungee the combo/gear to a sacktruck and walk? (Also done on occasion.....)

Kiddie trailer is the method I've arrived at after the helpful comments above.

It's not that far indeed.  I'm not in a position to do it at the moment (shoulder issues and recovering from a fairly major op), but by the time I've sorted the bike etc. out it should be OK.  We'll see.

• Like 1