Why become a member? ×

The bass model design that You hate with passion.

On 14/04/2024 at 18:10, nilorius said:

The bass model design that You hate with passion. I really don't like 

Gipson sg bass, but it is Gipson - passion.

gypson_sg.jpg

Ah, but that is my favourite shape! I have an SG-shaped mandocello being built right now, and a Hagstrom H8 is top of my list of must-have basses!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rosie C said:

Ah, but that is my favourite shape! I have an SG-shaped mandocello being built right now, and a Hagstrom H8 is top of my list of must-have basses!

😜 I like tequila, may be You hate it and like coca cola !! How about McDonalds hamburgers - i hate them, but love pizza !! The world is wide !

Hate is a strong word... but, I really don't get the Spector's or Warwick's...

Sometimes its not the body shape, but the adornments... not a big arsed P Music Man fan, and that Control Plate and Scratch plate combination... no ta. Why i prefer rear route bodys

Rick 4001/4 is such a looker... likes a conventional P shape... but it's the Ibby SR for me.

Edited by PaulThePlug

22 minutes ago, nilorius said:

😜 I like tequila, may be You hate it and like coca cola !! How about McDonalds hamburgers - i hate them, but love pizza !! The world is wide !

I'm with you on burgers and pizza! 😉

• Like 1

This may come as a surprise to some, but I don't hate any basses, not even Fenders. I dislike the looks of some instruments, but I don't hate them. Oh, except for the Rosetti Bass 7 I once owned. What I do find strange is that every time someone says "I've got a new Fender" and puts up a picture of a bass that looks exactly the same as thousands of other basses, hordes of fanbois descend to say how beautiful it is. It's another f*cking Fender in oly white or lake placid blue or whatever, get over it. Aaargh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There used to be many basses I didn't get along with (mostly vintage designs with very characteristic (muddy and mellow) tones and little tonal variety) but as I'm getting older I've come to appreciate them and see their purpose. I didn't like slab bodies without contours, but nowadays I can see their charm. I used to think shortscale basses were for short people and beginners, but I've come to love them as they're so much fun to play. I used to dislike flatwound strings but now that I own a shortscale P (Sandberg Lionel) they suddenly make sense to me.

I wouldn't say there are any designs I "hate". What I still don't like are pointy metal basses and poorly balancing basses. Basically anything that puts form over function.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Hate dictators, politicians, murderers, Married at First Sight, but what's the point in hating things.

Fun.  Talking points.  Baiting Jazz players ;)

• Like 1

While it's not possible to quantify a design I detest, it would be fair to say I'm drawn to the Thunderbird body shape and everything else strikes me as a bit meh.  

I often used to chuckle internally when people waxed lyrical and obsessed about the love of car brands like Porsche; this blind faith in whatever Porsche made was 100%, when clearly this isn't the case. 

Same goes brand loyalty for guitars and basses; while I've owned several, I don't really like Fender stuff at all. Yes I know, 70 years and millions of units sold stands for something but the business is based around reinvention/reinterpretation rather than innovation now.  Same goes Gibson.  While I love my Lulls, I would never consider any of the Lull P or J clones that they make, even if they gave me one.

I really think Spector basses look ugly.

Something deformed and very clumsy about their body shape.

But the ultimate bad taste is single cut, "whale hump", especially 5 string, boutique basses with maple burl or flame tops with a blue/green transparent, sort of burst, finish that looks like a cliché amateur new age abstract painting.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'm drawn to the Thunderbird body shape

The sexiest looking bass out there and the Firebird is the sexiest guitar ever. However, I just can’t deal with the ergonomics of either of them. If I had untold pots of cash, I think I’d have one of each, just to look at (I’d probably still try and play them though).

• Like 1

Just now, ezbass said:

The sexiest looking bass out there and the Firebird is the sexiest guitar ever. However, I just can’t deal with the ergonomics of either of them. If I had untold pots of cash, I think I’d have one of each, just to look at (I’d probably still try and play them though).

There's a cost to looking *that* good.  I have paid my membership fees in the past and will likely do so again :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I really think Spector basses look ugly.

Something clumsy and deformed about their body shape.

But the ultimate bad taste is single cut, "whale jump", especially 5 string, boutique basses with maple burl or flame tops with a blue/green transparent, sort of burst, finish that looks like a cliché amateur new age abstract painting.

I've owned an early Warwick Streamer and a couple of Spector NS-design models (Euro LT and a far east 8-string); the body shape is a tad small for my liking, but the shape/rounding/body-arch is very comfortable, very organic.

On 15/04/2024 at 10:36, casapete said:

As is often the case in these discussions, I’ll get the elephant in the room out of the way before 

anyone else chips in. I love this design, beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc….

IMG_0277.jpeg

I was just about to say I find these hideous, but you do you!

56 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Headless basses. No matter what the body shape.

Yeah, i don't like them, too. People say it's the future of bass, but for me - i will never buy a headless bass, no matter how good it would sound.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

I'm all out of Gibson Thunderbird love, but own Spector, Lull and Hamer versions, plus a Lull Thunderbird NR (which, let's face it couldn't be any less non-reverse in shape).

As I've posted elsewhere, Thunderbirds are like a magical fountain of youth elixir, you just strap one on and you're 18 again. I've no idea how this works, but it does.

3 minutes ago, edstraker123 said:

Any with artificial ageing - the stupidest concept ever IMHO.

I'd say Gibson custom guitars with pre-snapped and repaired headstocks are even more stupid (though it does probably make the headstock less prone to snap off compared to non pre-snapped models).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

Any modern single cut bass, for example: 

image.thumb.png.921f55722c77a679a26fb230ac88a8ec.png

These just remind me of a beluga whale.

Well, i like the shape, but don't like the finish - looks like cheap pizza.

• Like 1

Another vote for headstocks here too. Most bodies are fine and it looks like thought went in to the designs generally (if they're not just a usual straight copy of the most well knowns). Headstocks though... Often it looks like the design department had a parent & child day with the crayons out.

• Like 1