Why become a member? ×

Saddle height screw undoing itself

Skezza

I have a number of guitars and basses and this is a problem I have never come across before. 

While I am playing one of my basses one of the saddle height adjustment screws is undoing itself presumably because of the vibrations.

I did a gig two weeks ago and after 45 minutes of playing  one of the screws had vibrated back into the saddle meaning the low E string was unplayable due to the fret rattle.

Do I need a new saddle or can it be cured?

23 hours ago, Skezza said:

I have a number of guitars and basses and this is a problem I have never come across before. 

While I am playing one of my basses one of the saddle height adjustment screws is undoing itself presumably because of the vibrations.

I did a gig two weeks ago and after 45 minutes of playing  one of the screws had vibrated back into the saddle meaning the low E string was unplayable due to the fret rattle.

Do I need a new saddle or can it be cured?

Assuming it is something easily replaceable like a Fender style bridge I would just get a new saddle, cheap and easy fix and hopefully should hold out for a long time.

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Won't superglue fix that grub screw to the thread so that you won't be able to adjust it again?

When dry it's just a thin layer of plastic, a nudge with a fitting allen key will free it up for adjustment, same as nail varnish and Loctite thread lock.

18 minutes ago, Bolo said:

When dry it's just a thin layer of plastic, a nudge with a fitting allen key will free it up for adjustment, same as nail varnish and Loctite thread lock.

Is it though?

What makes it super then?

Doesn't is somehow chemically/physically bind it self to the surfaces it is applied to with a pretty strong bond?

If you actually tried this yourself I of course will take your word for it.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

This was a problem with the Hipshot bridge on the first batch of Nordstrand Acinonyx. The official Nordstrand response on TB was to use Loctite medium (It comes in various strengths of lock). Other thread lock products are available!

It could be a problem with how well cut the thread is on either the grub screw, or saddle. Replacements for both are available from various sellers on fleaBay for various types of bridge and outlets like Northwest Guitars.

41 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Is it though?

What makes it super then?

Doesn't is somehow chemically/physically bind it self to the surfaces it is applied to with a pretty strong bond?

If you actually tried this yourself I of course will take your word for it.

"Cyanoacrylate glue has a low shearing strength, which has led to its use as a temporary adhesive in cases where the piece needs to be sheared off later. Common examples include mounting a workpiece to a sacrificial glue block on a lathe, and tightening pins and bolts. It is also used in conjunction with another slower, but more resilient, adhesive as a way of rapidly forming a joint, which then holds the pieces in the appropriate configuration until the second adhesive has set.

Cyanoacrylate-based glue has a weak bond with smooth surfaces and as such easily gives to friction"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

And yes I have used rapid glue like this to secure nuts and bolts so they don't come loose through vibration or what have you. On cars, bicycles and industrial machinery. 

The 'super' bit is just marketing, like 'Krazy' glue. It bonds great with organic and porous materials. Have a look at the link provided.

Edited by Bolo

Having done the superglue thing, I would not do it again. When I did want to adjust the screws I had superglued, I chewed the slot up trying to free it, they were stuck so hard. I ended up disassembling the bridge and heating up the stuck parts on my gas stove, to free them up then replaced the screws. Nail varnish is the way ahead!

• Like 1

On 16/04/2024 at 11:37, Crusoe said:

The Threadlock should do the trick, but I was wondering if plumber's tape (PTFE tape) would work.

I am pretty sure it would, but I don't have any actual experience with using it that way, so can't say for certain.

That said just applying a dab of thread lock, nail polish or super glue would be easier.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

On 16/04/2024 at 10:37, Crusoe said:

The Threadlock should do the trick, but I was wondering if plumber's tape (PTFE tape) would work.

Yup, it would/does - I recently used some as a temporary fix on a couple of loose grub screws in a lower-end Ibanez bridge until I could get some replacements, and it kept everything in place but adjustable. It's kinda fiddly to apply, though, and even worse to remove, plus it's hard to keep it invisible on a black bridge. I couldn't honestly recommend it over proper threadlock or just getting some better-fitting replacement parts.