Why become a member? ×

Arthritis

Given that the purpose of this post is musically related I’ve put it here, if it needs to go to Off Topic fair play.

It seems that I’m developing arthritis in the knuckle on my left thumb. Ok, nothing I can do about that however my playing style has pretty much always been heavy pick & hit hard, picked up equally by being both a punk player and starting out (like many of us I dare say) with an amp not powerful enough so digging in to get the volume.

So the purpose of the post, well I don’t want this to develop in my picking hand so am dropping to lighter picks and lighter playing. Who knows if it’s already lurking or not, but I’m going to make the changes in the hope of keeping it at bay for as long as possible. Fortunately the thumb issue isn’t too bad as it doesn’t really affect the way I play too much.

So another one of those getting older/making changes things, much like the realisation that ear-plugs are def worth plumping for. For us musicians if our hands & ears don’t work, well not a good place to be.

• Like 4

It's got to the stage now that I can no longer voluntarily bend both Interphalangeal Joints (IP). If I do happen to snap them back then the air is turned blue due to the pain. Got a Dr's appointment in a week regarding injections/ other treatments but have to be careful what I take pill wise due to liver issues. Oh the joy of it all.

I am suffering with pain at the bottom of my left hand thumb joint and think this could be arthritus as it is also in the same place on my left hand but to a lesser degree. Looking for ways to eliviate it if there are any and I will probably try and get to see the doc shortly.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Switching to lighter picks and adjusting your playing technique could definitely help alleviate strain on your hands. It's all about finding what works best for you in the long run. Speaking of adjustments, I recently tried out some accessories from dankgeek.com that totally enhanced my smoking experience. Just like how you're fine-tuning your playing style, sometimes a little tweak can make a big difference.

Edited by AlexanderJersem

On 06/04/2024 at 12:57, Leonard Smalls said:

When my doc told me I had arthritis in my big toe he recommended either sour cherry juice or capsules... There are allegedly clinical studies showing that it helps!

I had an attack of gout in my big toe last year - never had one before, it may have been triggered by resting a cab on my toe whilst chatting to someone after a gig (no idea why I did that). 

I was given some tablets and was recommended to drink lots of cherry juice. I haven't had an attack since, so maybe it helped! I've got to go for some tests this week to see if it is likely to be an ongoing issue. 

My father's second wife trained as a ballet dancer and had fairly nasty arthritis issues by her 40th birthday.  She swore by a teaspoon of cider vinegar daily.

21 minutes ago, peteb said:

I had an attack of gout in my big toe last year - never had one before, it may have been triggered by resting a cab on my toe whilst chatting to someone after a gig (no idea why I did that). 

I was given some tablets and was recommended to drink lots of cherry juice. I haven't had an attack since, so maybe it helped! I've got to go for some tests this week to see if it is likely to be an ongoing issue. 

I've also been recommended cherry juice (or just black cherries) to stave off an attack.  But some people only ever get one attack of gout anyway.

4 minutes ago, alyctes said:

My father's second wife trained as a ballet dancer and had fairly nasty arthritis issues by her 40th birthday.  She swore by a teaspoon of cider vinegar daily.

I swore too, it’s vile 

like cider but more vile and no fun aspects 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Geek99 said:

I swore too, it’s vile 

like cider but more vile and no fun aspects 

It's medicine, it's not supposed to taste nice :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, alyctes said:

I tried that for gout. Absolutely no effect. Old wives' tale.

Edit to add: there is absolutely no medical evidence for it being effective.

Edited by tauzero

1 minute ago, tauzero said:

I tried that for gout. Absolutely no effect. Old wives' tale.

Edit to add: there is absolutely no medical evidence for it being effective.

And it tastes sh1t

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, alyctes said:

I've also been recommended cherry juice (or just black cherries) to stave off an attack.  But some people only ever get one attack of gout anyway.

I'm hoping so!

I'm going for tests on Friday to see if there is any sign of gout. I've not had an attack since, but I have started to get pins & needles in my fingers when I wake up in the morning. I used to get that before, but it stopped when I gave up smoking 20 years ago. 

• Like 1

On 06/04/2024 at 13:57, Geek99 said:

Try turmeric extract with black pepper (aka circumin) and ginger 

takes about a month to feel a difference

I'd been taking turmeric for yonks but had to stop on account of it affecting a blood thinner product I'm on (see elsewhere); after nearly two months, the deep hot throbbing in both trapeziums is back.  It's crept up on me quite slowly.

Double-edged sword.

Turmeric does work to reduce the inflammation.

On 06/04/2024 at 12:35, Lozz196 said:

Given that the purpose of this post is musically related I’ve put it here, if it needs to go to Off Topic fair play.

It seems that I’m developing arthritis in the knuckle on my left thumb. Ok, nothing I can do about that however my playing style has pretty much always been heavy pick & hit hard, picked up equally by being both a punk player and starting out (like many of us I dare say) with an amp not powerful enough so digging in to get the volume.

So the purpose of the post, well I don’t want this to develop in my picking hand so am dropping to lighter picks and lighter playing. Who knows if it’s already lurking or not, but I’m going to make the changes in the hope of keeping it at bay for as long as possible. Fortunately the thumb issue isn’t too bad as it doesn’t really affect the way I play too much.

So another one of those getting older/making changes things, much like the realisation that ear-plugs are def worth plumping for. For us musicians if our hands & ears don’t work, well not a good place to be.

Join me, in using these:

image.png.090efcc2888276a2141a20f9fd9c12a4.png

image.png.86ac2cb0ef723a64775760fbd9dd9672.png

• Thanks 1