Why become a member? ×

Small amp head for practice and recording.

steviedee

I go straight to the desk live but I’m thinking of buying a wee amp head to pair with my remaining Bareface cab. Just for messing about in the house really but a bonus would be if it gave me options for recording. So a DI perhaps? I like the look of the Ampeg PF20T but it’s a wee bit pricey for something that may not get a lot of use.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Edited by steviedee

2 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Ampeg ba108

it does everything, including being cheaper than chips 

I’ve got one of these! Or my daughter has, it’s great but I was really after a head only.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Unless you are going to mic up the cab, IMO there is little point in using an amp for recording.

I think just so I can throw down an idea. I mean I can do that at the moment but it's a bit more involved, though I'm potentially being lazy. Essentially I'm buying a small amp I don't need but I need justification for another purchase!

Edited by steviedee

44 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

DOH… I’m so sorry. Trace Elliot elf would be my choice 

No problem at all the Elf looks great and also the warwick gnome is is like so cheap and I noticed a Valeton which Is ridiculously inexpensive but only 20watts.

43 minutes ago, steviedee said:

Essentially I'm buying a small amp I don't need but I need justification for another purchase!

I have told you that you need to buy it (whatever 'it' is), is that enough justification? Or you can try:

1. It's cheaper on the electricity bill.

2. It's helping you hit your net zero target and you are actually helping the polar bears.

3. The firmware is end of life and is no longer supported leaving you open to cyber attack.

4. The current company has gone out of business and so the product is no longer supported.

5. The EU has stated there are radiation issues and so it's safer to change it.

6. It's reached the end of the depreciation business cycle and so is no longer cost effective to keep, so changing it actually saves you money.

7. The transformer has a certain live span, it's no longer made and it's cheaper to replace the whole unit rather than just get a new transformer.

I have used all of these at one time or another. As I run my own business, point 6 is regularly used :)

Hope this helps

Rob

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Hotone Thunder Bass.

5W only, but an amazing lounge amp. Sounds just like a good SVT.

Under £100!

I saw these and they looked great but will it be ok to run into an old style barefaced midget? I mean £70! 

Edited by steviedee

1 hour ago, steviedee said:

I saw these and they looked great but will it be ok to run into an old style barefaced midget? I mean £70! 

I used mine with a SuperTwin and now use it with a pair of One10 cabs.

It will work with any 4ohm to 16ohm set up.

I assume the Midget has combo jacks so you can you a regular speaker cable and not a Speakon at the cab end?

• Like 1

This is my practise setup at home, it's a Warwick Gnome iPro and Barefaced ONE10 cab.

The Gnome chucks out 280W at 4ohm and 180W at 8ohm, so plenty loud enough for smaller gigs and rehearsals if necessary, and it also doubles up as an audio interface if required, it's small enough to take to gigs as a backup, and the cab sounds superb at low volume for practising at home, although the Gnome also has a headphone out for quiet practising.

For me, it's just a great setup all round.👍

Warwick%20Knome%20%26%20Barefaced%20One10.jpeg

Edited by thebrig
  • Like 2