Why become a member? ×

Small amp head for practice and recording.

steviedee

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Check the user manual.

It hasn’t arrived yet so I don’t have a manual but I’ll definitely check that when it arrives, thanks for the top tip!

Edited by steviedee

1 hour ago, steviedee said:

It hasn’t arrived yet so I don’t have a manual but I’ll definitely check that when it arrives, thanks for the top tip!

https://hotoneaudio.oss-cn-shenzhen.aliyuncs.com/prod/support/Thunder Bass_Manual_EN_V05_221018.1667279975866.pdf

PDF of the manual (always handy to have downloaded to a phone) - there is a headphones output.

• Like 1

On 28/03/2024 at 14:37, steviedee said:

Anyone tried the Ampeg Micro VR?

I’ve just got the Ampeg Micro VR yo use with my SVT112AV cab 

It’s a nice amp for the money and definitely an Ampeg tone 

Some claim it has a noisy fan but I found it to be quieter than the Trace Elf and acceptable 

Very light and small and perfect for home use or acoustic small venue gigs 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I’ve just got the Ampeg Micro VR yo use with my SVT112AV cab 

It’s a nice amp for the money and definitely an Ampeg tone 

Some claim it has a noisy fan but I found it to be quieter than the Trace Elf and acceptable 

Very light and small and perfect for home use or acoustic small venue gigs 

Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

On 26/03/2024 at 11:23, steviedee said:

I go straight to the desk live but I’m thinking of buying a wee amp head to pair with my remaining Bareface cab. Just for messing about in the house really but a bonus would be if it gave me options for recording. So a DI perhaps? I like the look of the Ampeg PF20T but it’s a wee bit pricey for something that may not get a lot of use.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Depends on what way You want to record - mic the cab or ballanced out from the amp.

I've got a Gnome and have tried an Elf also, into a Super Midget.  Then I got the little 350 watt Magellan, and I'm never using another amp.  Yes, it's twice the price of most of the micro amp heads, but it's also 10 times better.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paddy Morris said:

I've got a Gnome and have tried an Elf also, into a Super Midget.  Then I got the little 350 watt Magellan, and I'm never using another amp.  Yes, it's twice the price of most of the micro amp heads, but it's also 10 times better.

Used Aguilar tone hammer 350 is also a very good micro amp, but is rare and twice the price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

Late to this topic but the Elf is definitely worth considering, I think it sounds great DI'd because you only get a post-EQ signal.

Thanks, I thought the Elf looked great but I ended up picking up out a 2nd hand GK MB200 cheap, which is probably huge in comparison to the elf  😀

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you can find one a SWR Baby Blue head (they did produce the head as a separate item to the combo, although the 2 x 8 combo is great).  Pre switch mode psu and pre who ever took over swr and trashed it. 
Tube pre amp and DI plus a semi parametric eq. 
Great recording pre amp and has their aural enhancer control. Plus 180 watts if you need it. 

• Like 1