Why become a member? ×

Line 6 POD Express Bass

madshadows

On 06/03/2024 at 14:50, SumOne said:

(and of course, there's always the B1-4 which is tough to beat and is less than half the cost of the Pod Express).

Not to mention that every time someone says they've bought a B1-Four, @Al Krow has an orgasm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My first bit of outboard processing was a Bass POD and despite the naysayers, I still have a soft spot for Line6 kit.

There's something about the (Get Offset) type of You Tube review posts that probably do more damage than good for a product like this; while the editing is generally OK, the whole apologetic approach to the way it works (pressing the buttons/rotating the knobs), her playing in general, along with the audio quality makes it unwatchable beyond a minute or two.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

Not to mention that every time someone says they've bought a B1-Four, @Al Krow has an orgasm.

Yeah - we've all gotta get our pumped up kicks somewhere 😅

It's going to be the MS-60B+ in 4 months time, I suspect.

• Like 4

Well it seems the Pod Express is not being pitched as for live use pedal by Line 6:

"You'll notice none of our in situ photography shows POD Express on a stage or with other pedals—it's always shown on a desktop or outside at the beach or campground."

Eric Klein, Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg - Talkbass 8 Mar

I'd love to find more beach use for my bass playing, just can't see that happening any time soon.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Well it seems the Pod Express is not being pitched as for live use pedal by Line 6:

"You'll notice none of our in situ photography shows POD Express on a stage or with other pedals—it's always shown on a desktop or outside at the beach or campground."

Eric Klein, Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg - Talkbass 8 Mar

I'd love to find more beach use for my bass playing, just can't see that happening any time soon.

If it does what you want, then surely you can use it however you want.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

That's nuts, it's an effects pedal with footswitches, surely you use it however you want, live or otherwise. Maybe they're getting twitchy that it's been received (so far) much better than the HX One, and might make that product irrelevant in their range.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TRBboy said:

That's nuts, it's an effects pedal with footswitches, surely you use it however you want, live or otherwise. Maybe they're getting twitchy that it's been received (so far) much better than the HX One, and might make that product irrelevant in their range.

Interesting insight.  Funniest was that he went on to slag off rival Chinese products - which is ironic given that my Yamaha BB1025, which I adored, was made in China. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, eude said:

I spotted these the other day.

Are you liking it a lot then?

I tried the Tech21 Bass FlyRig 2 and it left me a bit cold, considering the price tag and the fact I love my BDDI it was weird.

What are the amp Sims?

They are fine and with the IR's you get a lot of different tone variations.

• Alembic F-2B
  • Fender MusicMaster Bass
  • Marshall Super Bass MkII
  • Ampeg SVT 76
  • Vox AC-100
  • Mesa Boogie Bass 400
  • Ampeg B-15 Flip Top
  • Ampeg V-4B
  • Fender Bassman 100

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TRBboy said:

You might be right with that. I saw a retailer this morning had the HX One on sale, and it’s only been out for a short while

• Like 2

On 09/03/2024 at 09:30, Al Krow said:

Seems a reasonable candidate to rival the MS-60B+. Set up some presets and switch back and forth between them, or just set it up for a particular sound if you only want to use one.

Incidentally, Eric Klein was also very complimentary about the Zoom multistomps in that same TB thread.

• Like 2

Not much different from their earlier budget effects units imho . The looper is a nice touch . The synth sounds  like fighting cats 🐈🐈‍⬛ . ,which is fairly common in budget effects units. 
Not for me but after seeing the vids , I may get out my toneport ux1  with the line 6 monkey🐒. Cost of living crisis etc.so cash saved ..for now .

What would imho be a wimner for line6, is if they could sell an effects box with all the settings from the Variax Bass . 

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

png

Was really gassing for this when I first saw/read about it. But after reading the reviews and seeing the demos (and the price) not so much now.

My problem is not the sounds per ser but the fact that for that price I can get something with better sounds and with an XLR out. Hell, I think one of those Zoom pedals provides better value for money.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mcgiver69 said:

My problem is not the sounds per ser but the fact that for that price I can get something with better sounds and with an XLR out. Hell, I think one of those Zoom pedals provides better value for money.

I totally get that (and that mvave device looks fab) but it's nice to know there's something out there that if I need it at a gig, it should sound almost the same as my main helix patches. and isn't massively expensive, even if it doesn't have XLR.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 3

I did kinda fancy this on paper, but I honestly think the Zoom MS-60B+ will spank this when it comes out June/July, for most applications anyway.

It's nice that Line6 have done a bass specific product though, it's about time!

I wonder what might come along in the future?...

• Like 3

I can’t make my mind up on this. 

it’s just what I was looking for - a simple, portable unit with aux & headphones that I could possibly use at a gig, but then I keep thinking that if I spent more money I could get a Stomp that I could use with my guitar as well, and I could definitely gig with it 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I have a mvave (not the one listed) and it is not something I would use live in any situation-  this I probably would

I have the tiny one (Cube baby) and I did use it in a gig 😝.

It was at a fair and the main bass amp died, I had the unit with me and just connected to a DI and it sounded great.

But yeah this one is meant to be used as a flyrig.

Edited by Mcgiver69
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stealth said:

The world is out of stock lol 

Not really out of stock, just not in stock yet as they haven't got production up

8 hours ago, Mcgiver69 said:

I have the tiny one (Cube baby) and I did use it in a gig 😝.

I suppose I would in certain gigs, going through an amp - its very cheap and noisy sounding, but in a gig situation I doubt you would notice.

• Like 1

And there's the rub. It's not for everyone.

For me, I carry a couple of "hope-I-never-need-to-use-it" backup items to every gig, such as my Sonicake flyrig, and my Jackson Minion that sit in a gigbag and don't get touched until they go back in the car (although I do play the Minion at home).

I also have a Boss Pocket GT that I use at home for headphone practice. It's fine, but I wouldn't want to gig with it, even as an emergency backup. It's just not built for such a purpose.

The Pod Express ticks both of those boxes for me and could easily do double duty as a home practice device and a "hope-I-never-need-to-use-it" backup. What's more, it's made with the same algorithms as my Helix, so it should sound even closer to my usual sound.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2024 at 12:51, Mcgiver69 said:

They are fine and with the IR's you get a lot of different tone variations.

• Alembic F-2B
  • Fender MusicMaster Bass
  • Marshall Super Bass MkII
  • Ampeg SVT 76
  • Vox AC-100
  • Mesa Boogie Bass 400
  • Ampeg B-15 Flip Top
  • Ampeg V-4B
  • Fender Bassman 10

Hey - I noticed in the manual that this device also has a pitch-shift effect. How well does this work, sound and track? For instance as an octave effect or to simulate BEAD tuning?

I haven't had much luck with pitch shifting on cheaper devices as it's quite a processor-intensive effect.