Why become a member? ×

Name a Genre an give me your top 3 tracks from it

Anatolian rock. This was a genre that appeared in Turkey during the late 1960s, mixing the sounds of psychedelic rock with traditional Anatolian rhthyms and melodies.

Baris Manco - Egri Egri Dogru Dogru (this could be a list of three of his songs, as he was the absolute king of this scene)

Cem Karaca - Tamirci Ciragi

Adimiz Miskindir Bizim · Mazhar Ve Fuat

• Like 2

And another Turkish list. The most important instrument in Turkey is the baglama, or saz as it's more often known in the English speaking world. It's an instrument that can be found with slight variations spanning the Balkans to the Caucasus and Iran, typically featuring three courses of strings. My favourite version is the Albanian sharki, which I find easier to play than the baglama and quite an easy transition for a bass player.

The most famous artist in the modern era is probably Neşet Ertaş, and this is possibly his most famous composition, Ah Yalan Dünya. What he lacked in technical perfection he more than made up with the emotion of his playing:

Possibly the most famous baglama player during the era of recorded music is Aşık Veysel. He lost hos sight at an early age, and it was not unusual for blind children to become folk musicians. His songs are invariably very melancholic, and Kara Toprak is a personal favourite:

Arif Sağ is someone who often uses techniques such as double tapping on the baglama. His Kirpiğin Kaşına is more traditional though, and in the traditional introspective style:

Hopefully that's whetted your appetite for this instrument. Even if it hasn't, and I have included a very personal choice of songs here, I'd strongly recommend the fantastic documentary "Saz, The key of Trust" where the incredibly talented Petra Nachtmanova takes a road trip across the Balkans and Asia Minor to find the roots of the baglama. The full documentary is up on YouTube and for me it's the best musical documentary I've ever seen.

• Like 4

Just now, dclaassen said:

Wow...I'd totally forgotten about this album...baby needs a new pair of snakeskin boots/hello, it's me.....good times

Yep - He's often overlooked, but Todd id a huge talent.

• Like 1

Canterbury scene.

Soft Machine - Facelift.

Caravan - Golf Girl.

Kevin Ayres - Stranger in Blue Suede Shoes.

No so much a genre as people vaguely associated with Kent and psychedelia.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 2

1967 Psychedelic Rock / 1967 US Psychedelic Rock:

Pink Floyd/Syd Barrett :

/ 1967 US Psychedelic Rock :

13 Floor Elevators :

The Doors :

Love :

Bonus 1967 US Psychedelic Rock :

The Velvet Underground & Nico :

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

13 hours ago, chriswareham said:

And another Turkish list. The most important instrument in Turkey is the baglama, or saz

You must have heard of contemporary psych-rockers Baba Zula? A fantastic sound. Have been lucky enough to have seen them three times. Improvisational, interactive (they very often go for a wander through the audience) and a new album coming soon.

I'd strongly recommend the fantastic documentary "Saz, The key of Trust" where the incredibly talented Petra Nachtmanova takes a road trip across the Balkans and Asia Minor to find the roots of the baglama. The full documentary is up on YouTube and for me it's the best musical documentary I've ever seen.

Seconded 👍

Hopefully that's whetted your appetite for this instrument.

You are preaching to the converted. Serious GAS, I've got SIX of the things!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Kerbdog... from Kilkenny 😉

And Therapy?  from Belfast - part of the UK but not part of Great Britain, so probably not Brit Rock. Sorry @christhammer666 looks like you need to choose another two! And speaking of Therapy?, I was expecting Venom in the Death Metal selection - great later Therapy? lyric, Venom on the juke box, hey Satan, you rock!

Well this is going well - thanks for all the contributions so far. Great to see the Turkish material @chriswareham @Baloney Balderdash @Leonard Smalls I've been enjoying some of the more club orientated fusion that is getting used on a lot of Turkish holiday ads at the moment (and giving  me serious holiday envy)! Looking forward to delving in to these contributions.

• Like 3