Why become a member? ×

New Cort Space Headless Model

BassApprentice

That's the thing about Cort. They make enough instruments to know exactly what works and what doesn't. The fit and finish is alway super, I've just yet to find one that makes me think "I need to buy this". Just not connected with one, similar to Ibanez for. I know it's a brilliant instrument, but just not for me.

Maybe this could be the one 😅

• Like 1

I'm inclined to agree. I've played several of both their basses and guitars, have owned an Artisan B4 and still own an acoustic fretless bass (NTL-B) and a very lovely guitar (an older MGM-1 Matt "Guitar" Murphy signature, from 1999). None of them stand out in any way in their niche of the market, but all have been very good and versatile and played and sounded great. Especially the MGM-1, that's a definite keeper for the mere €350 I paid. 

I watched the Bass The World review of it yesterday and Frank seemed to be loving it, forgoing the usual epic bass face for an expression of constant pleasant surprise. Plus it looks danged sexy too, and I'm no great fan of the aesthetics of headless basses!

68DF23F0-9698-4018-A107-53AD249B3222_1_105_c.jpeg.4668d4111976e3a7aa78aeb905f12ad3.jpeg807FC122-B632-4DE7-AC08-DAC8950DCF08.thumb.jpeg.0ec6b5fbe2886b503ee5f93a9bde5f4f.jpeg

Oh, go on, if I have to! My beautiful Shuker up top and a Status S2 Classic I had for a reasonably short while that I sold on.  Gotta love a bit of top-notch headless!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

That's the thing about Cort. They make enough instruments to know exactly what works and what doesn't. The fit and finish is alway super, I've just yet to find one that makes me think "I need to buy this". Just not connected with one, similar to Ibanez for. I know it's a brilliant instrument, but just not for me.

Maybe this could be the one 😅

Their experience making basses for other manufacturers probably helps too, learning the lessons of other manufacturer's requirements. My Squier P was made in a Cort factory in 1996 and while it's definitely a bit idiosyncratic the underlying quality is definitely present.

23 hours ago, TRBboy said:

I was really impressed at the guitar show to be fair, the neck is beautiful. It felt better quality than the EHB I tried, well the knobs were solid on the Cort at least! Spacing felt wider than I expected, but I don't mind that. It was only let down by the strings tbh, I don't know what they are, but they felt rough and horrible. 

I thought the necks were similar profile (though I hadn't played my EHB for a few days so I was relying on memory). I was hoping for a shallow C, like the Cort GB4 I had a while ago, but it's a D like the EHB. As for strings - I didn't notice anything untoward, but then again Cort are using D'Addario EXL170-5SL just like Ibanez put on the EHB multiscaless so that's not surprising. Perhaps you played one that had previously been played by someone with mucky hands.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

Their experience making basses for other manufacturers probably helps too, learning the lessons of other manufacturer's requirements. My Squier P was made in a Cort factory in 1996 and while it's definitely a bit idiosyncratic the underlying quality is definitely present.

Spot the illegitimate family resemblance here (all made by Cort)

image.jpg

• Like 2

On 05/03/2024 at 15:57, Al Krow said:

A slightly different take on the same bass from Nate!

Thing is, Mr. Navarro could play my pubic hair strung across a curtain ring and make it sound great :)

• Haha 4

27 minutes ago, ahpook said:

Thing is, Mr. Navarro could play my pubic hair strung across a curtain ring and make it sound great :)

Would that be short scale? 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, franzbassist said:

I kinda hope so....

Despite rumours to the contrary, my curtain rings are the just the same size as everyone else's ;)

Edited by ahpook

13 hours ago, crazycloud said:

There's only so many ways you can shape a headstock with 7 tuners.

Challenge accepted. Instructions unclear. 

what.jpg.6bd71c35aeb7d631dfc823baa20b7c61.jpg

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

I’ve suddenly noticed these popping up on all the usual suspects YouTube channels…… so Cort are obviously pushing this thing out there…..

I don’t trust the likes of Patrick Hunter to give us a real evaluation, as he’ll rave about anything if it’s sent to him for free….. hopefully our own Dood will give us a non biased and accurate assessment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2024 at 09:55, Linus27 said:

They just need to release an unlined fretless model and I'd be all over this.

I quite agree. I think this model looks and sounds terrific. I like it in black or green but so disappointed there appears to be no unlined version.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cornwall Steve said:

I quite agree. I think this model looks and sounds terrific. I like it in black or green but so disappointed there appears to be no unlined version.

Unfortunately, unlined fretless in a mass produced bass is pretty rare.

On 20/02/2024 at 14:59, tauzero said:

Went to Bass Direct today for a play on the Cort and a chat with Mark, who I haven't seen for ages. There was both a green and a black one in there, the black had just arrived so I had a play on the green. Knobs and tuners seemed fine, the MK-1 Barts sound clean and clear. The treble control on the preamp didn't seem to do much but the amp and speaker I was playing through didn't have a lot of treble itself.

The obvious comparison is with the Ibanez EHB series. The EHB's 1005 and 1265 only have multiscales or fretless (there was a single-scale EHB1005 but that has disappeared from Ibanez's current lineup), the EHB1505 is available as single or multiscale. Neck profiles are very similar. Quality is similar. The MK-1 Barts are superior to the BH-2 Barts on the EHB 1005 and 1265, and similar quality to the Nordstrands - they do sound a bit different so listening is advisable. However, as the Cort Space is £700 from BD (RRP is £750), and the Ibanez EHB1505 is £1370, there's £670 available for changing the pickups. The EHB1005MS is £1120-£1200 depending on finish, and the pickups are inferior.

One trick that Cort have missed out on is putting a second strap button below the tuners, as per Status, Sei, Steinberger, or Hohner. This allows you to stand the bass up without worrying about damaging the finish. Still, it's something that's easily done at very little cost.

Conclusion - if I'd not already got the EHB1265, my 2024 gear abstinence may have come to an abrupt end. If you want a multiscale headless, it has to be an EHB (or a Boden for £3k). If you want a single-scale instrument then the Cort offers similar quality and a similar feel for half the money, and no irritating locking jack socket. I might yet get one when they start popping up on the second-hand market for £400.

I'll be looking out for a used one too, though it'll be interesting to see how they stand the test of time 🤔

On 16/03/2024 at 17:32, Cornwall Steve said:

I'll be looking out for a used one too, though it'll be interesting to see how they stand the test of time 🤔

I think if you disregard that they are headless and have a unique shape, they are not particularly outstanding in terms of spec (Bartolini Mk1s have never sounded great in anything i've played), but in terms of value for spec - yes nothing to beat it. I expect used to be around £500.

I'm keen. It seems a good deal for approx £700 (Bass Direct), or £650 if you want to trust international shipping from Thomann. That's about £500 cheaper than any 5 String Ibanez EHB (and nearly £900 cheaper than their top of the range EHBs).

I've gone from owning an Ibanez EHB to a Jazz Bass, I  prefer the sound of the Jazz and it is probably better suited to the bands I'm in, but adding the 5th string, saving a few 100 grams, and moving balance/weight away from the headstock are all big benefits of the Cort. And I reckon I can sell my USA Jazz fo more than the Cort will cost.

I think it's mostly tradition/look that stops all Basses going headless, because form an engineering perspective they seem the better way. I've owned a few multiscale basses but there are pros/cons so I'm not too fussed if it's multiscale or not.   

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I think it's mostly tradition/look that stops all Basses going headless, because form an engineering perspective they seem the better way.

With both Cort and Ibanez bringing out headless models (or ranges in the case of Ibanez), they've presumably seen that there is a good commercial opportunity. I think Mark was shifting a fair few Corts at Bass Direct from what he said. Steinberger has kept going with the Spirit range.

Headless instruments are better ecologically, as they use less wood - none wasted on an advertising billboard at the end of the neck.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, tauzero said:

With both Cort and Ibanez bringing out headless models (or ranges in the case of Ibanez), they've presumably seen that there is a good commercial opportunity. I think Mark was shifting a fair few Corts at Bass Direct from what he said. Steinberger has kept going with the Spirit range.

Headless instruments are better ecologically, as they use less wood - none wasted on an advertising billboard at the end of the neck.

Going from EHB back to a Jazz made me realise just how paddle-like the Fender headstock is, and how ridiculous that is to have all that weight at the far end of a long piece of wood you need balanced - so you either end up with a heavier Bass to balance it (especially with things like 35" 5 strings) or neck-dive, headless solves that, and I found them to stay in tune better.

I think you're right that it's mostly there as advertising space (and now out of sense of tradition for what people expect a Bass to look like). And yeah, if I get one of these Corts I'll basically be saving the planet by using less wood!