Why become a member? ×

Any idea what make this fretless bass is?

It is indeed an ACG fretless bass (Alan Cringean Guitars) built by @skelf. He builds absolutely excellent instruments... I have 5 of his basses at the moment! 

How did you come across it if you don't mind me asking? You've got a very nice bass there. 

Edited by binky_bass

1 minute ago, eude said:

That's brilliant my friend!

Yeah, it's been a search that has lasted at least 6 years and led me down many blind alleys.  So pleased to be able to have the bass back in the stable.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ead said:

Yeah, it's been a search that has lasted at least 6 years and led me down many blind alleys.  So pleased to be able to have the bass back in the stable.

You keep it in a stable ? It’s not a guitar, it deserves better than being p1ssed on by horses 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Geek99 said:

You keep it in a stable ? It’s not a guitar, it deserves better than being p1ssed on by horses 

I have applied for planning permission to have my basses in my office at home but She Who Must Be Feared And Obeyed has yet to sign it off so I have to sneak them in one at a time :(

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, eude said:

What preamp is in it now @ead as it started out passive, seems to be some stacked knobage going on now?...

It's an Audere 4-band system that I got from the US a while back before they stopped exporting to the UK.   I think it was Vol/blend; bass/treble; hi mids/low mids.  But you could get a bass/low mids stack and a treble/high mids stack which has a certain logic to it and I can't recall what I ordered.  Once it lands back at ead towers I shall reacquaint myself with it.

It worked very nicely for that bass although in an ideal world I would have like the East system of an active/passive tone knob.  Maybe a preamp swap might happen.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ead said:

It's an Audere 4-band system that I got from the US a while back before they stopped exporting to the UK.   I think it was Vol/blend; bass/treble; hi mids/low mids.  But you could get a bass/low mids stack and a treble/high mids stack which has a certain logic to it and I can't recall what I ordered.  Once it lands back at ead towers I shall reacquaint myself with it.

It worked very nicely for that bass although in an ideal world I would have like the East system of an active/passive tone knob.  Maybe a preamp swap might happen.

Very cool.

Part of me hoped it might've been th now fabled SEQ and that you'd want to swap that out for something else...

Been trying to get my hands on one for a while!

Yeah, I might keep my eyes peeled for an SEQ too.  I know where there is one in a bass I used to own (that may still be for sale), but whether the owner would be prepared to swap is another matter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bloke_zero said:

SEQ?

It's a stripped down filter pre-amp that ACG used to offer.  Vol/blend stack and two filter tone controls that you can tweak via internal pots.  Very cool and simple to use compared to the full-on filter preamps (which are excellent btw).

• Thanks 1

On 15/02/2024 at 07:36, ead said:

I have applied for planning permission to have my basses in my office at home but She Who Must Be Feared And Obeyed has yet to sign it off so I have to sneak them in one at a time :(

I divorced and got labradors, highly recommended.

(Note the puppy screen, I'm not sure whether or not it's a saving grace of my ex that she didn't chew any and all available sources of wood.)

IMG_5807.thumb.jpg.5e438ae486dbaf76a9e8801d32b79689.jpg

• Like 1

Back home now :)

Roundwounds (:o) removed and TIs installed.  Most irritating of all I had to carefully reposition the knobs so that the little markers all pointed to 12 o'clock when everything centered and the volume on 11.  My OCD now satisfied.

PXL_20240216_112536613.thumb.jpg.be96e2284e39dbc93e033e770c284725.jpg

• Like 10