Why become a member? ×

Packing up.

Marky L

As a typical weekend warrior, playing in a four piece covers band, I, and I imagine many others of you, have to schlep our own gear in and out of venues. As I “joke” to punters lurking at the end of a gig, packing up is my least favourite part.

My band members and I all have a fair amount of gear each, but particularly so the drummer, who is forever adding more lights to his hoard. I have a dodgy back and very occasionally I need a bit of help shifting my cabs, which the drummer does do sometimes and as a band we help each other out with gear if one of us gets his out first.. except..

The drummer has so much stuff now, drums, banner, lights, more lights.. and the rest of us will have packed up our gear, loaded it in cars and be ready to go before he is even finished and ready to load out.

I nearly always have work the next day, the rest don’t. We do help the drummer out with his gear but it is becoming a joke. I generally want to be on my way when done and I’m often told to ‘k off and go but I get a bit of anxiety if I haven’t helped him with any of it. Annoying as it’s not my fault he has off the scale GAS. Why should I worry, just my nice side comes out and feel I should help! Should I just shrug it off and wave as I drive away?

Anyone else get a bit p’eed off with the mega slow packer in your band?

Mark

• Like 3

I am always the slowest in any group I play in.  Deploy amp/pedalboard from trolley. bass out of case, tune up, tweak amp; at the end having to pack it all away. Most just unpack their instrument, tune, play.

I envy those who can unpack/pack quickly, but never feel ill towards them if they do not help me.

Sam x

• Like 4

Play in an originals band that doesn't need much gear.

Firstly you don't need to carry a PA or lights because they will already be there at the venue. Then replace your drummer with a computer or drum machine.

One of my bands has exactly 8 pieces of equipment to pack and carry and two of those are stands. The rest of the equipment is: 2 synths each in a lightweight hard case, a bass in a gig bag, Helix in it's backpack, a 3U rack case that holds the computer and audio interface that is our drummer and second synth player and a small bag of leads and bits for connecting it all together and to the PA. Between the three of us in the band we can carry everything between the venue and the car in one trip. Both setting up and packing down takes no more than 15 minutes. No backline means that the sound both on-stage and FoH is much easier to balance. Win all round.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Marky L said:

As a typical weekend warrior, playing in a four piece covers band, I, and I imagine many others of you, have to schlep our own gear in and out of venues. As I “joke” to punters lurking at the end of a gig, packing up is my least favourite part.

My band members and I all have a fair amount of gear each, but particularly so the drummer, who is forever adding more lights to his hoard. I have a dodgy back and very occasionally I need a bit of help shifting my cabs, which the drummer does do sometimes and as a band we help each other out with gear if one of us gets his out first.. except..

The drummer has so much stuff now, drums, banner, lights, more lights.. and the rest of us will have packed up our gear, loaded it in cars and be ready to go before he is even finished and ready to load out.

I nearly always have work the next day, the rest don’t. We do help the drummer out with his gear but it is becoming a joke. I generally want to be on my way when done and I’m often told to ‘k off and go but I get a bit of anxiety if I haven’t helped him with any of it. Annoying as it’s not my fault he has off the scale GAS. Why should I worry, just my nice side comes out and feel I should help! Should I just shrug it off and wave as I drive away?

Mark

Totally reasonable, if you’re feeling guilty perhaps always offer to help load his gear in but explain why you can’t help load out.

Sleep is bloody important if you’re working the day after a gig 👍

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Marky L said:

Mark

Question,

I’ll assume the banner is for the band.

Are his array of lights just aimed at his drum kit and him, or are they stage lights for the whole of the band ?

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Totally reasonable, if you’re feeling guilty perhaps always offer to help load his gear in but explain why you can’t help load out.

Sleep is bloody important if you’re working the day after a gig 👍

He usually gets there before us all to get his set up well underway (and to get the best parking spot!). Maybe I should offer to help at the end but keep my fingers very crossed he's feeling generous and doesn't need me 😃

BTW, he is very aware we thing he has too much gear!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, steantval said:

Question,

I’ll assume the banner is for the band.

Are his array of lights just aimed at his drum kit and him, or are they stage lights for the whole of the band ?

Yup, banner for the band. We had a fine one, but he decide to get a new larger one..

The lights are for both, with plenty dotted around the drum kit. It's great to be seen, but I have accidentally booted one in a moment of on stage exuberance!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Play in an originals band that doesn't need much gear.

Firstly you don't need to carry a PA or lights because they will already be there at the venue. Then replace your drummer with a computer or drum machine.

One of my bands has exactly 8 pieces of equipment to pack and carry and two of those are stands. The rest of the equipment is: 2 synths each in a lightweight hard case, a bass in a gig bag, Helix in it's backpack, a 3U rack case that holds the computer and audio interface that is our drummer and second synth player and a small bag of leads and bits for connecting it all together and to the PA. Between the three of us in the band we can carry everything between the venue and the car in one trip. Both setting up and packing down takes no more than 15 minutes. No backline means that the sound both on-stage and FoH is much easier to balance. Win all round.

We do have originals bands playing the pub/club scene here and at this level they need their own gear too. I guess once you are playing better venues then that wonderful scenario is the norm.

Edited by Marky L
  • Like 1

I'm in a 8 piece, which has the full PA, Lights, Banners, big drum kit, multiple mics, wireless stuff etc. We joke that packing/unpacking is the worst part of gigging, but it isn't really a joke. It's like the circus coming to town. Personally, I think it's the biggest downside of being in a bigger band. I'm depping in a smaller rock band and the relative ease of set-up/pack down is a real benefit. 

If the amount of unnecessary gear a band member brings becomes an issue I think it needs to be said 'you want those extra lights etc, you set it up and pack it down as the rest of the band thinks it's unnecessary'. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Marky L said:

Yup, banner for the band. We had a fine one, but he decide to get a new larger one..

The lights are for both, with plenty dotted around the drum kit. It's great to be seen, but I have accidentally booted one in a moment of on stage exuberance!

Surely if the guy didn’t transport the banner and lights, the band would be missing important visual impact, if he carries the most stuff, then he will be the longest one setting up and breaking it down, I think it’s pretty good of him to lug about all that extra band stuff as well as a full drum kit.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, steantval said:

Surely if the guy didn’t transport the banner and lights, the band would be missing important visual impact, if he carries the most stuff, then he will be the longest one setting up and breaking it down, I think it’s pretty good of him to lug about all that extra band stuff as well as a full drum kit.

Our singer brings lights. I have lights that now stay at home. Agreed with the banner, but it's not like we're playing to a 40w bulb. He just keeps adding. Oh and the drum kit is on some scaffolding type set up now.. AND he's the one that always says bring the big PA speakers, even if we know it's a smaller gig!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I'm in a 8 piece, which has the full PA, Lights, Banners, big drum kit, multiple mics, wireless stuff etc. We joke that packing/unpacking is the worst part of gigging, but it isn't really a joke. It's like the circus coming to town. Personally, I think it's the biggest downside of being in a bigger band. I'm depping in a smaller rock band and the relative ease of set-up/pack down is a real benefit. 

If the amount of unnecessary gear a band member brings becomes an issue I think it needs to be said 'you want those extra lights etc, you set it up and pack it down as the rest of the band thinks it's unnecessary'. 

I guess many of us go through it. Adding a bit here and a bit there and a couple of more pedals to the board until suddenly it's strip back time.

• Like 2

I’ll generally help people getting their stuff in and out , and if several do it’s quick and easy. But it’s easy to get miffed if you’re the only one helping out … 

• Like 3

The drummer had our banner made and I made the stand for it, so he's going to have those, plus my lights (just four LED units). I find setting up the slowest part - PA first (two tops, two monitors, Behringer box and controller console), then my bass rig (which isn't massive, just a combo and whatever pedalboard/effects I want). Knocking down is much easier as I'm not playing hunt the socket and daisy chaining three or four mains extensions. Due to my 10kg rule, carrying stuff isn't too hard, and the rest of the band are very helpful - generally I'm just ready to start taking stuff to the car as the guitarists have packed their own stuff and helped the drummer, so there's at least four of us to take my stuff out.

Having played in a few bands where members have been no help at all, it's a very welcome change.

• Like 3

I empathise with the issue. Once we’ve finished playing I just want to get home asap. I can get my gear into the car in a max of three trips (two cabs, two basses, one gig bag and guitar stand). I’ll then help dismantle the PA but generally I have the longest drive home so by then I’m ready to go and often do with the blessing of the rest.

• Like 2

I always think it’s ironic that my set up now is so lightweight and simple (bass=lead= amp= very small cab, no effects) and takes about a minute to sort out yet  99% of my time is spent helping lug everyone else’s stuff in/out and I AM expected to do it as well as drive the van sometimes. We have two drum kits to build/breakdown and i have to help unpack and wait until they are set up/ miked up before I can place my stuff because it’ll just get in the sound man’s way if I try to position it earlier. I am slightly younger than most of the core members and do sometimes think that’s the only reason I got the gig🤣.

’Appy dayz 🥴.Having said all that we do play some lovely venues and I do enjoy it ( mostly 🤣) x 

• Like 2

I hope the drum scaffold gets moved as a unit into a van of the appropriate volume. Suspect not and they all get put into cases and it all has to be tetrised in a particular sequence.

I used to play with a demon drummer who could have all his gear set to move before I had  unplugged my cabinet. Freakish ability to get gone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

I hope the drum scaffold gets moved as a unit into a van of the appropriate volume...

This is how I did it with my acoustic kit (not a rack job, but pre-assembled cymbal stands, so all ready to go with no faffing about...); it's how I do it now with the e-kit, which loads as one unit, plus two pedals and my computer flight case. Of course, none of this fits into my present car (The Shoe...), but I've an arrangement with our local garage to 'hire' a full-size Trafic if/when I need it. S'been a long time since I used my drum cases. B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

I'm always the slowest to pack up. I own/run the PA. I like to do so at my own pace, make sure everything goes in the right box/case, cables wound neatly, etc (OCD, dontcha know). I tell the others not to worry about helping me and to head off. I actually prefer it that way. I mean it and appreciate that, unlike me, some of them have to get up for work or family duties next day. So if he tells you it's OK, take him at his word and go. 

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

I hope the drum scaffold gets moved as a unit into a van of the appropriate volume. Suspect not and they all get put into cases and it all has to be tetrised in a particular sequence.

I used to play with a demon drummer who could have all his gear set to move before I had  unplugged my cabinet. Freakish ability to get gone.

Alas no, it has to be broken down..

19 hours ago, Marky L said:

We do have originals bands playing the pub/club scene here and at this level they need their own gear too. I guess once you are playing better venues then that wonderful scenario is the norm.

I can't help thinking that you must be playing the wrong venues. Since the mid 90s almost everywhere I have played (that's pretty much all over mainland UK) with originals bands has had an in-house PA and lighting system. The few times (around 5) when there hasn't been a PA on site was when we deliberately chose to play venues that don't normally put on live music. And while I do get to play some big venues, my bands still play places with capacities of 100 or less.

In that case I've been playing the wrong venues for years. The Dog and Duck won't have a PA system neither will the average church/village hall, hotel function room, wedding marquee, village fête etc. 

I sympathise with the OP, we're all in this for a bit of fun and it's only natural we want to help out our bandmates.

• Like 2