Why become a member? ×

Drive pedal with frequency cross-over for clean/drive sound

ikay

Can anyone point me in the direction of a drive pedal with an adjustable frequency X-over which allows the lower freqs through unmolested and only applies drive to freqs above the X-over? I'm after a vintage/valve break-up type of sound (not heavy drive or fuzz) to add character and thicken up higher notes while keeping the punch and attack of 'dry' low notes intact. Thanks for any suggestions.

• Like 1

I do not know such a unit, but...

- Iron Ether Divaricator

- KMA Tyler Deluxe

I have tried both, and they are nice units. My preference is not to blend full band at all, and the X-over frequency is 400 Hz. Then you can mix lots of the effect (even too much) without losing the low end.

• Like 1

Have a look at the Ashdown James Lomenzo Hyperdrive. Doesn't do quite what you're looking for as it only effects the midrange but check this out and see if it sounds the part:

• Like 2

LukeFRC is selling a John K mini XO (legend builder on talkbass) drive pedal that is perfect for this

The lemonzo is ace as well but prices are getting silly, massive in size and the footswitch is meh... But does sound pucka

Edited by danbowskill
  • Like 2

On 04/02/2024 at 20:55, danbowskill said:

LukeFRC is selling a John K mini XO (legend builder on talkbass) drive pedal that is perfect for this

The lemonzo is ace as well but prices are getting silly, massive in size and the footswitch is meh... But does sound pucka

Prompt to actually list it on here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is something that does exactly what you ask. Sorry I can't recall the name.

On a different tack. The sfx Red Dragon pretty much leaves your lows alone while doing a nice overdrive.

You might have to make a special order as almost nobody ever sells theirs. Beats me why it got discontinued.

There's demos on youtube. 

• Like 1

EHX Deluxe bass muff - has a crossover section.

https://www.ehx.com/products/deluxe-bass-big-muff-pi/

Alternatively . . 

Lusithand Ground and Pound - I have one, the bottom end remains huge due to solid clean blend with light compression, gain can be light to intense, very versatile

https://lusithanddevices.com/product/ground-pound/

• Like 1

Tech21’s new XB Driver will likely be the king here, but it’s not cheap. It’s like a more flexible DP3-X (which uses a similar approach but with a fixed crossover frequency).

Tech21’s YYZ range do something in this vein also. The dry signal is EQ’d to boost the bass and roll off the highs, and the ‘tight’ button rolls off the lows hitting the drive circuit. And the EQ knobs just affect the drive channel.

Orange Bass Butler is also worth a look, like the YYZ it doesn’t actually have a crossover, but you have 2 channels in parallel with their own EQ, so you can roll the bass off one and the mids/treble off of the other.

• Like 1

It's a ridiculous fuzz and discontinued but the old fender sub-lime bass fuzz does exactly this (unlike a number of the pedals suggested that don't have a crossover let alone control over the cutt off) and I always found it pretty tame gainwise for a fuzz pedal and more like a fizzy overdrive 

Edited by matybigfro
  • Like 1

I am really pleased with how my Mosky Black Rat, RAT clone, in Turbo RAT mode, with the tone Filter at noon, and the Gain set relatively high, at just above 3 o'clock, sounds, blended at an about 50/50 drive/clean ratio, via my Boss LS-2.

No reason for any crossover or anything, just sounds right as a high gain distortion, but without loosing bottom end or articulation and definition.

Doesn't sound like a drive signal on top of a clean signal at all, really does blend really nicely, just like that.

That cheap budget Mosky pedal might be the best RAT clone out there.

And it is probably my number one favorite distortion pedal.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash