Why become a member? ×

Yamaha or mustang?

JJMotown

I've got an orange yamaha pj bass which was recommended to me by a guitarist friend of mine, its really good. But I've seen an orange fender mustang bass, and I like the idea of a shorter bass. So which would be best for motown/soul type stuff?

tafbfprxxg8b35tjggra.jpg.325a64d23c6dfc94dbf34edb5c0a1392.jpg

I used to play upright basses, but switched to electric a little while back, so some advice would be great. Thank you.

Rollng the tone back on the P pickup (and for my taste having soloed it as well on your Yammy) either will get you in the ballpark just fine I’d say.

Conscious you’ve already ‘downsized’ from an upright to electric. If you can, try a Mustang and see what you think. I love them (and shorties generally) personally, but they’re maybe not for everyone.

Both will do what you`re looking for nicely so as above maybe try a Mustang just to see which scale you feel more comfortable on. After many years playing reg scale I`ve switched to Mustangs and I love them.

It may be easier to just change the strings on the bass that you already have.

Change to flat wounds on the Yamaha, and then use the P pickup with tone rolled back slightly as others have said.

Having said that, the JMJ Mustang is a lovely bass. I have 2 Yamahas and a Mustang - so in true basschat style, the right answer is the one that justifies another purchase ;)

Phil

12 minutes ago, pn_day said:

Change to flat wounds on the Yamaha, and then use the P pickup with tone rolled back slightly

And a strip of kitchen sponge under the strings up against the bridge.

Buy the Mustang, play them both for a while then sell the one you like the least. Or if you end up deciding that they're different but equal, keep both while promising yourself that you'll sell one of them soon.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JoeEvans said:

Buy the Mustang, play them both for a while then sell the one you like the least. Or if you end up deciding that they're different but equal, keep both while promising yourself that you'll sell one of them soon.

..or by a completely different bass to cover any eventualities that these two may not.

18 minutes ago, JJMotown said:

I've seen there is a squier classic vibe orange mustang bass. Is the fender worth more than double the squier one? And would this be better than the yamaha?

Very subjective - but they'll be very little in it between the 3 in terms of build quality. Will come down to playability for you and the tones you're looking for.

“Which bass should I buy” threads are difficult to answer, because we’re not you…… but both basses you mention there are great choices. Yamaha BBs are brilliant at all price points.

If it was me, today, I’d go Mustang with flats. Just a great combination in my opinion.

To get a feel of what a short scale such as a mustang might be like to play, tune your bass down two semitones and put a capo on the second fret.

I play mustangs (currently own five) they're my favourite bass, especially the JMJ roadworn. The orange vintera II looks rather tasty and I have one of the orange squier classic vibes which is a very nice cheaper option.