Why become a member? ×

Looking for bendy/soft strings

Apothem

Hi mates

As the title says, I am looking for a brand of strings (4-string, 34" basses) with a loose, soft, bendy feel. Preferred gauge is 40-100 but even 45-105 or 40-95 will be considered. In a few words: lower tension compared to other brands, given the gauge. Must be in the UK, steel or nickel alike. Roundwound only.

What are your experiences with the brands you have tried??

Thanks in advance to everybody

Cheers

Edited by Apothem

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='485995' date='May 12 2009, 01:58 PM']TI's fit the bill perfectly IME.
They are flats though so you might not like them if your a rounds guy.[/quote]

+1 for the T.I. flats, very soft feel & low tension. The best strings I've used (and I've tried loads!) Have all my basses strung with T.I. flats & won't use anything else now.

Cheers
R.

[quote name='Rumblebass' post='485999' date='May 12 2009, 03:03 PM']+1 for the T.I. flats, very soft feel & low tension. The best strings I've used (and I've tried loads!) Have all my basses strung with T.I. flats & won't use anything else now.

Cheers
R.[/quote]

Bl**dy typical... I forgot to add: roundwound only LOL!! I am going to modify the original text

Thanks anyway guys

[quote name='Delberthot' post='486019' date='May 12 2009, 03:17 PM']The strings that come on Rickenbackers feel like rubber bands to me but they're something silly like 45,55,75,95[/quote]

Any idea what they are?

I love TI flats. One of the reasons I love em is that they feel like rubber bands.

I will say one thing about TI's though. I know they're labelled as "low tension" - but I've bust a neck on a bass with them on because they caused more bow than roundwounds did. They certainly feel low tension though - but I think that's to do with them being more flexible than some flats and low tension compared with them.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='486041' date='May 12 2009, 03:30 PM']May I ask why you want really loose strings? Just asking because I'm thinking of going in the opposite direction, getting tighter ones so that I can dig in with a reasonably low action and get less fret buzz.[/quote]

Because I have a light touch, I do not dig in, so I can keep a low action anyway. Moreover, I think they are better for slapping, but I do not want to go below the 40 threshold.

I really like the Marcus Miller signature DR Fatbeams 40-100 set I have on my Jazz at the moment. They seem a very soft string compared with the usual Rotosounds/Elites. Lovely thick sound as well.

I was at Mewsie's house the other evening & she had some nice titanium strings on her Sterling. Similar guage at 40-95, but again a very soft string. The brand name eludes me for the moment, though.

[quote name='Apothem' post='486010' date='May 12 2009, 03:09 PM']Bl**dy typical... I forgot to add: roundwound only LOL!! I am going to modify the original text

Thanks anyway guys[/quote]

TI jazz strings come as roundwound or flatwound, the rounds are slightly lower gauge than the flats, (43 51 68 89, compared to 43 56 70 100).
They also do Powerbass Roundwounds at 47 68 80 107.
I haven't tried any of them, but I've heard they are all very felxible with a smooth sound and I'm sure if you search you tube, you will find some demos.
You can buy them [url="http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?MAIN=http://www.stringbusters.com/ko-kat/BASS%20STRINGS/THOMASTIK/"]here[/url].

[quote name='Apothem' post='485986' date='May 12 2009, 02:48 PM']Hi mates

As the title says, I am looking for a brand of strings (4-string, 34" basses) with a loose, soft, bendy feel. Preferred gauge is 40-100 but even 45-105 or 40-95 will be considered. In a few words: lower tension compared to other brands, given the gauge. Must be in the UK, steel or nickel alike. Roundwound only.

What are your experiences with the brands you have tried??

Thanks in advance to everybody

Cheers[/quote]

The most bendiest strings I've ever tried are the EBS Titanium-plated strings. The low density of the strings make them very light and give a lot of top end (completely the opposite of what I want... but they're TITANIUM! I had to try them out!).

Give Bernie Goodfellow a call. If memory serves me right, he's the UK EBS distrubutor. [url="http://www.gbguitars.co.uk/"]http://www.gbguitars.co.uk/[/url]

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by s_u_y_*

Generally speaking , strings with a round core a ''sloppier'' than hexcore strings. AfaIk DR High Beams and Sunbeams
are round core, as well as Dean Markley Rocco Prestia Sig. strings. And you can have roundcore strings from Rob Green,
which are the better choice if you know DR High Beams. The Hot Wires as they are called feel even softer and last longer. All, of course roundwound.

TI jazz rounds are very very bendy - sound great (warm for a round) but the lower strings are very light and odd guages. They are a softer feel than even the jazz flats...but pretty similar.

My vote would be DR sunbeams - a more normal nickel round, but in a choice of standard guages and with a flexible feel (round core, apparantly). Love 'em.

BB

The DR's are great strings,soft without being sloppy, they are one of the few round wound strings i like with lots of output in lower gauges. For me they are some of the best round wound strings out there. They are at the upper end price wise but seem to last a good while so it evens out

[quote name='marcus bell' post='486371' date='May 12 2009, 09:04 PM']i always thought that the 30-90 strings on my jaydee were bendy and so easy to work around without losing the low end punch, and there rotosounds or elites

x[/quote]

Sorry, but I find the sound from 30-90 is a bit too thin, and some TI gauges may also be too thin.

Now I have a feeling for trying out some DR and Hot Wires.

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated.

As well as strings let your other fingers help.
Bending with your ring finger let your middle and index push as well behind it.
Mammoth bends there even on .55 G-strings. :)

Smallest guage I ever used was 35 - 95 Elites Player series...When I used Elites.
I was playing alot of Level 42...

[quote name='Tusknia' post='486222' date='May 12 2009, 06:20 PM']Has anyone tried the TI Jazz rounds?[/quote]

I haven't, but I know a man who has and he swears by them as the best roundwounds he's ever used.
He's been playing sessions for years and he also uses TI Jazz flats on some basses for a more old skool sound.

Check out some of [url="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=thomastik+jazz+rounds&aq=5&oq=thomasti"]these vids[/url] for an idea of their sound in different contexts.

It's a shame there isn't somewhere that you could hire strings for a week just to try them - maybe someone on this forum will set it up............