Why become a member? ×

Do you subscribe to any Bass magazines?

IIRC Bass Guitar magazine is online only now.  @bluejay can provide more info. 

I also use Talkbass (USA) and TalkingBass (UK).

There are loads of groups on Facebook which I know are used by members here.

Take your pick.

• Like 1

In the olden days I subscribed to Bass Player (US first, then UK version when it flipped)

and I think I have all copies of Bassist.

Are there any left actual bass magazines left?

• Like 2

The print magazines became increasingly full of advertisements in order to try and survive. It became so irritating that every other page was an ad, that I gave up on all of them.

Edited by Rayman
  • Like 8

I haven't subscribed to any print material of a musical perspective for many years; I'd say with some confidence that we've kind of evolved past the necessity of picking up a magazine for information.  

There's two primary sites globally this one and that other one, and collectively we have thousands more people working on providing content than any magazine could dream of.

• Like 5

No one has mentioned Bass Gear Magazine again! I've been on board the magazine for a little while now and shoot all my reviews from my own studio here in Blighty freelance. I've a long list of really great gear to get through already and we've only just started the year, It'd be REALLY great to have more subs and, just more of you reading my reviews! 

Genuine question though, as I'm busting my b***s to create high quality content... why is no one seeing it or sharing it? I post long threads here with all my review links in, so there's little effort on the part of the reader required to access them, but there doesn't seem to be much feedback or replies to my posts? 

Maybe I'm doing it all wrong and I should be doing slap bass ego trips, lots of shouting and stupid click-bait? lol! - It's worth noting that I don't get paid per click or by advertisers or brands, so follows, likes and clicks are not so I can earn extra money, it's because I want to be out there earning exposure dollars (said no working bassist ever lol but in this case, it's true. I DO want to be on everyones 'top reviewers' list!!) 

Whilst you're here, please subscribe to my own YouTube Channel where this year I'll be posting high def shorts of my reviews.

Example review here:- https://www.bassgearmag.com/bassic-review-spector-euro4-lt-bass/  You can sign up for the free subscription newsletter at the bottom of the review linked here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I haven't subscribed to a printed magazine since Beat Instrumental closed, used to pay the local newsagent up front to get me my copy.

P.S. Probably the young BassChatters have never heard of Beat Instrumental, which along with Bell's catalogue were the gear Bibles back in the Day.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dood said:

No one has mentioned Bass Gear Magazine again! I've been on board the magazine for a little while now and shoot all my reviews from my own studio here in Blighty freelance. I've a long list of really great gear to get through already and we've only just started the year, It'd be REALLY great to have more subs and, just more of you reading my reviews! 

Genuine question though, as I'm busting my b***s to create high quality content... why is no one seeing it or sharing it? I post long threads here with all my review links in, so there's little effort on the part of the reader required to access them, but there doesn't seem to be much feedback or replies to my posts? 

Maybe I'm doing it all wrong and I should be doing slap bass ego trips, lots of shouting and stupid click-bait? lol! - It's worth noting that I don't get paid per click or by advertisers or brands, so follows, likes and clicks are not so I can earn extra money, it's because I want to be out there earning exposure dollars (said no working bassist ever lol but in this case, it's true. I DO want to be on everyones 'top reviewers' list!!) 

Whilst you're here, please subscribe to my own YouTube Channel where this year I'll be posting high def shorts of my reviews.

Example review here:- https://www.bassgearmag.com/bassic-review-spector-euro4-lt-bass/  You can sign up for the free subscription newsletter at the bottom of the review linked here.

Honestly - if the magazine wants the followers / views then it needs to be doing daily content or at least every other day, like Bass The World does.

At the moment your mag seems to be doing about 1 vid per month. That will never ever get any traction. Daily content is the holy grail for gaining followers.

And the vids need to be shorter and have faster pacing. Nobody needs EQ stage testing that takes 40 seconds per knob, on it's own, out of context of any actual music.

Dan - I like your vids, but I have to say watching something on BTW or The Bass Channel and then coming to yours is like moving from Tigger off his Ritalin to Neil from the Young Ones when he's on Ritalin and feeling tired. You never seem to be actually excited about anything and you deliver every line in a very monotone fashion. You need to be as much of a draw as the gear itself is.

Watch the very early BTW vids and Gregor is monotone / wooden and dull to watch, compare those to the new ones. Now he's released his personality and he's got 350K subs.

Let your personality out of the box!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

And the vids need to be shorter and have faster pacing.

+1!  Up the pace and/or edit more leanly.  E.g. I jumped in randomly to the above video: from 3:49-3:59 you inform us that you're about to flip the bass over, and then you indeed go ahead and flip the bass over 🤷‍♂️ That entire bit should be cut out.  You're an experienced reviewer and when you do say something it is interesting - but I'm not going to commit to watching a 10-minute video knowing it'll only have about five minutes of actual content.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JohnDaBass said:

I haven't subscribed to a printed magazine since Beat Instrumental closed, used to pay the local newsagent up front to get me my copy.

P.S. Probably the young BassChatters have never heard of Beat Instrumental, which along with Bell's catalogue were the gear Bibles back in the Day.

Even after decades since the last Bell catalogue was published, I'm constantly amazed by how little that was produced by some manufacturers (cough, Gibson, cough) officially made it to this side of the pond.  You'd see stuff in the Bell catalogue and in the more serious print matter (like Beat Instrumental) and as a doughy-eyed teenager you'd just take it that this was everything that was available.  In my head I'm still hardwired to believe that Fender only produced sunburst basses and that a Gibson Flying V bass was a myth.

While I was a fan of Mott The Hoople and was aware of the Thunderbird shape but didn't have a clue what it was (different times, kids); I remember getting a copy of The Runaways Live In Japan and working out that it was a Gibson.  It wasn't in the Bell catalogue (yes, I know about the reintroduction dates), so it wasn't really on anyone's radar.

• Like 2

The average attention span for a video (I know because I had an art related channel) is about 10 seconds. Many of those initial clicks have already moved on after 10 seconds. It’s a relatively small number of enthusiasts who stick around for longer, and most of those viewers don’t watch all the way to the end of the video.

It’s a cutthroat game, making long form content, and as said above, Gregor Fris has got it nailed with Bass The World.

The world is so fast and instant now. It’s frankly astounding to me that print is still a thing when it comes to consumer product information.

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Honestly - if the magazine wants the followers / views then it needs to be doing daily content or at least every other day, like Bass The World does.

At the moment your mag seems to be doing about 1 vid per month. That will never ever get any traction. Daily content is the holy grail for gaining followers.

And the vids need to be shorter and have faster pacing. Nobody needs EQ stage testing that takes 40 seconds per knob, on it's own, out of context of any actual music.

Dan - I like your vids, but I have to say watching something on BTW or The Bass Channel and then coming to yours is like moving from Tigger off his Ritalin to Neil from the Young Ones when he's on Ritalin and feeling tired. You never seem to be actually excited about anything and you deliver every line in a very monotone fashion. You need to be as much of a draw as the gear itself is.

Watch the very early BTW vids and Gregor is monotone / wooden and dull to watch, compare those to the new ones. Now he's released his personality and he's got 350K subs.

Let your personality out of the box!

2 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

+1!  Up the pace and/or edit more leanly.  E.g. I jumped in randomly to the above video: from 3:49-3:59 you inform us that you're about to flip the bass over, and then you indeed go ahead and flip the bass over 🤷‍♂️ That entire bit should be cut out.  You're an experienced reviewer and when you do say something it is interesting - but I'm not going to commit to watching a 10-minute video knowing it'll only have about five minutes of actual content.

A genuine thanks; I need to hear what viewers are actually thinking. I thought that there might be a place for reviews that go in to detail and maybe teach something on the way (hence why I will demonstrate what a semi-parametric is and how it works. for example) but, it sounds like there is a balance to be had and a few things I can learn on the way.

I create all of the material myself, I don't have an editing team, a producer or anything, so I'm still on a learning curve which is incredibly labour intensive along with finding time to teach, be a professional musician and a single parent to my lil demanding kids. 

Thank you and I welcome more views. 

• Like 6

Dood, I actually really like your laid back, unedited style. I've never been a fan of those super quick talking, choppy fake happy people. 

While I understand that those types of people do get a lot more traction on youtube, I think you're a breath of fresh air. 

Next time I log in to youtube, you have a new subscriber 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't think there's anything wrong with the occasional deep dive vid.

BTW and the rest do those every now and again. The Bass Channel's massive pedal preamp demo was great - all using stems recorded at gigs and then reamped into the live mix through each of the selected pedals.

But those need to be no more than 2-3 times a year. The other 180 vids a year need to be punchy as hell and (I will keep repeating it) YOU are the USP.

Every channel reviews the same kit. The thing that makes the popular channels popular is the host. I like Bass Bonebo Channel as well. No talking, close ups of the amps / settings while playing. They are great and to the point. BUT.... only 11.5K subs. Because there isn't an entertaining front man bringing in the views.

YOU are the primary product. The gear is just a prop.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dood said:

A genuine thanks; I need to hear what viewers are actually thinking. I thought that there might be a place for reviews that go in to detail and maybe teach something on the way (hence why I will demonstrate what a semi-parametric is and how it works. for example) but, it sounds like there is a balance to be had and a few things I can learn on the way.

I create all of the material myself, I don't have an editing team, a producer or anything, so I'm still on a learning curve which is incredibly labour intensive along with finding time to teach, be a professional musician and a single parent to my lil demanding kids. 

Thank you and I welcome more views. 

I think readership of magazines and viewing of magazine-type YT channels and similar depends on where people are in their journey. When I were a lad and it was all fields round 'ere, I devoured magazines, articles and anything else I find to help me learn. Now I'm ancient and reasonably satisfied with the gear I own and the knowledge I have, I only read/watch them if I'm thinking of buying something and want to get the lowdown on it. Either that, or I might come across something new (to me) musically and wish to pick up tips on technique or add to my knowledge (such as learning what a semi-parametric is and how it works) to help me get to grips with it.

That applies equally to my interests outside music. I rarely if ever look at angling or hi-fi mag's any more, either.

That probably isn't a great help to you. Apologies, but I guess I'm not part of your typical target audience. I guess what I'm saying is that the most interest in what you do will likely be from people starting out or those wishing to improve their knowledge. So it's probably not a bad idea to aim a lot of your content in their direction. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Now I'm ancient and reasonably satisfied with the gear I own

Likewise.

Bass players seem to fall into two camps - there are those whose equipment seems to be more important to them than the music, and those who put the music first and their equipment is really anything half decent.

I fall into the latter camp - I don't spend hours agonising over minute EQ details or striving for the 'perfect sound'  as I know only too well that any live sound is going to be so influenced by either the whims of the soundman or the acoustics of the room. And , let's face it, hardly any punters are going to care what bass you're using. It's all about the notes and the feel.

So, I'm very happy to look at anything online that examines a piece of music or looks at particular bass playing techniques, but endless gear reviews whether in magazines or online leave me cold.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Likewise.

Bass players seem to fall into two camps - there are those whose equipment seems to be more important to them than the music, and those who put the music first and their equipment is really anything half decent.

I fall into the latter camp - I don't spend hours agonising over minute EQ details or striving for the 'perfect sound'  as I know only too well that any live sound is going to be so influenced by either the whims of the soundman or the acoustics of the room. And , let's face it, hardly any punters are going to care what bass you're using. It's all about the notes and the feel.

So, I'm very happy to look at anything online that examines a piece of music or looks at particular bass playing techniques, but endless gear reviews whether in magazines or online leave me cold.

Yes, all people can be put into two, and only two, categories: Us or Them !

They are the worst kind of people, obviously, whereas We are the sensible good people.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 2

I used to buy Bass Player or was it Bassist, can't remember exactly but it was a UK mag. Used to be occasionally good and I 'd buy it if there was a main feature on MK, MM, Louis Johnson and the like. Then the content gradually got skinnier while the number of ad pages multiplied. Cant see there's any need for print music mags now there's so much bass content on YT etc.

Edited by Barking Spiders