Why become a member? ×

John Diggins has passed away.

Very sad news from @jaydee_guitars this morning on the passing of John Diggins. Along with Pete and Ian from Wal Bass and Rob at @statusgraphite, John spearheaded the demand for bass exotica emanating from the UK throughout the Eighties and right up to the present day. He will be much missed but his legacy will live on.

RIP John.

• Like 1
  • Sad 20

As others have said,  sad news.

John was an old school gentleman who knew the value of customer service and brand reputation. 

I bought a single pickup model and after a very friendly conversation with John I sent it off to them for a pickup upgrade. 

Even though they were really busy with customer builds John managed to squeeze in the pickup upgrade and the bass was back with me in good time. 

I remember being surprised at the quality of the workmanship done in such a short time. 

He belongs in the Bass Builders Hall of Fame.

A real loss.

Email sent to the family. 

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 6

Sad news. John will be remembered as a legend of the industry, not just for making a splash with his own enduring designs at a time when the bass world was really taking off, but for continuing to work at the highest level for decades after. I was only just saying the other day that Jaydee remained surprisingly affordable for a handmade British instrument, constructed to the highest standards. 

My thoughts are with his family, who I hope will find some comfort in knowing how well thought of John was. 

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, blunderthumbs said:

Rip you legend.

This was my 1987 Jaydee Supernatural series 3 MK before I sold it.

Without doubt the best bass I have ever owned.

I bought the same model the year before I went fully 5 string, it was a beautiful instrument, a little bit fragile for the real world I thought, but others seem to get on with them well enough live.

The guitarist in my first band had a JD flying V, genuinely didn't know he made basses back then, lovely instrument.

RIP John, thanks man.