Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

2 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

It’s arrived! As luck would have it she went upstairs when the courier battered the door in. I quickly threw the PA speaker in the van and dived back in the house. She thinks he delivered the smaller parcel that arrived earlier. The flight case won’t arrive until tomorrow now. I really hope she doesn’t want to go out in the van 😂

This is like Terry and June*,  but classier and with PA gear!

Edited by Richard R
For the benefit of younger readers, it was a 70's sitcom
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Richard R said:

This is like Terry and June*,  but classier and with PA gear!

I’ve managed to get the PA speaker to the singers house! Job done 😀 Almost….. When I got home , I realised that the singer has put the box with all the packaging back in the van 😬 I now have to dispose of the box. But where? 😂

1 hour ago, itsmedunc said:

I’ve managed to get the PA speaker to the singers house! Job done 😀 Almost….. When I got home , I realised that the singer has put the box with all the packaging back in the van 😬 I now have to dispose of the box. But where? 😂

Set fire to the van, it'll disguise the burnt ashes of the box.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, itsmedunc said:

Bury it under the patio - unless that would compromise other packaging previously secreted there? 😀

• Haha 2

On 01/04/2024 at 19:06, Stub Mandrel said:

Only if he has other instruments than basses - he may need to buy an electric guitar to stay in 😈

Well, "he" is a she and no, she doesn't own other instruments. I traded my keyboard in last year along with most of my pedals for an HX Effects.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Richard R said:

Leave the cardboard in the van,  then hide it inside the flightcase tomorrow. 

:ph34r:

The flight case arrived and the good lady didn’t even bat an eye lid? She’s ordered something mad again. She must have. All the dogs will have new jumpers or something like that. Dam it, I could have bought something really extravagant 😂

• Haha 6

I always ask my wife what she thinks before I buy something. She usually gives a big thumbs up so when she doesn’t I pay attention. It’s usually cabs that she doesn’t get. It’s hard to sell another black box coming in …

5 hours ago, mowf said:

I bought a bass on Monday, and my wife came with me to pick it up. It felt weird.

That could be read that your wife came along with you to carry the bass as it felt peculiar to you. 

Which would raise a lot of questions...

• Haha 2

I'm out. It was a humble pedal wot done it - an EHX Big Muff if you must know - bought off a fellow Basschatter. I'm ashamed of myself for being so weak but a small part of me is gloating - such a great pedal for such little outlay....these things just work so well with bass. I can now relax, buy some more gear and try again next year.

• Like 3

Winning - I'm negative gear for the year - just sold a Tecamp Puma 900.  The trouble ahead is that's most of what a Sire Z7 costs... still, stock won't be available for months - plenty of time for the car's MOT to eat those funds instead!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, neepheid said:

Winning - I'm negative gear for the year - just sold a Tecamp Puma 900.  The trouble ahead is that's most of what a Sire Z7 costs... still, stock won't be available for months - plenty of time for the car's MOT to eat those funds instead!

So how does this gear abstinence lark work then?  If you flog some bass kit for, say £500 and then buy a bass for anything up to that amount are you still in?  Doesn't quite seem like abstinence to me.

• Confused 1

Just now, BillyBass said:

So how does this gear abstinence lark work then?  If you flog some bass kit for, say £500 and then buy a bass for anything up to that amount are you still in?  Doesn't quite seem like abstinence to me.

No, you buy something, you're out.  I'm merely highlighting the danger of having money (electronic or folding) burning a hole in your hipper (physical or otherwise).  Could I have worded what I wrote better?  Was it ambiguous in some way?

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

No, you buy something, you're out.  I'm merely highlighting the danger of having money (electronic or folding) burning a hole in your hipper (physical or otherwise).  Could I have worded what I wrote better?  Was it ambiguous in some way?

No, not really.  I might have just been looking for a loophole, especially with a Dingwall D-Roc on Ebay at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

No, not really.  I might have just been looking for a loophole, especially with a Dingwall D-Roc on Ebay at the moment.

I can categorically state that there is no such loophole, no credit scheme or any such thing.  One wrong click on the Buy Now button and you're out, irrespective of how much stuff you've sold this year.

It's a brag, basically - "look how well I'm doing, not only am I abstaining from buying gear, I'm selling the stuff too!" type thing, I guess.  Upgrading "make do with what you've got" to "make do with less", if you will.

10 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I can categorically state that there is no such loophole, no credit scheme or any such thing.  One wrong click on the Buy Now button and you're out, irrespective of how much stuff you've sold this year.

It's a brag, basically - "look how well I'm doing, not only am I abstaining from buying gear, I'm selling the stuff too!" type thing, I guess.  Upgrading "make do with what you've got" to "make do with less", if you will.

Well ok, now you've cleared that up but in that brief period of time between my post and your reply, an innocent bass chatter, fully believing he was on the straight and narrow, could have pressed that buy now button and rejoiced in the fact that he was about to receive some new kit whilst feeling proud of his unblemished gear abstinence record...and you would mercilessly cast him out of the club?  I think an erudite solicitor, knowledgeable in Basschat law might take you to task on that.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BillyBass said:

Well ok, now you've cleared that up but in that brief period of time between my post and your reply, an innocent bass chatter, fully believing he was on the straight and narrow, could have pressed that buy now button and rejoiced in the fact that he was about to receive some new kit whilst feeling proud of his unblemished gear abstinence record...and you would mercilessly cast him out of the club?  I think an erudite solicitor, knowledgeable in Basschat law might take you to task on that.

Umm, see you in court?  Or are you asking for a friend?

:D

Edited by neepheid
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

Said innocent basschatter would be stuffed regardless of the quality of brief they could afford- the rules are at the top of the thread and have stayed fundamentally the same for years.

Plus if she or he  is in any sense a gigging musician then chances are they can barely afford a pair of briefs in these straightened circumstances,  let alone one with a wig. 

• Haha 2

It’s right to be firm on this subject; give ‘em an inch and all that. If offloading gear gave you license to purchase more it wouldn’t be long before someone suggests a kind of carbon offsetting scheme where you team up with a fellow bass chatter who’s shifting kit but not replacing it so you can use their credit! 😉

• Haha 2

On 01/01/2024 at 14:44, neepheid said:

Ah well in that case I reckon you'd be out. You can sell as many basses as you like but the acquisition of any gear coming back in I fear adds up to disqualification.

Buying means receiving an item, but paying doesn't necessarily mean receiving anything, or at least not immediately.

So if I pay a deposit for a custom build, I might not receive it until next year, so would that mean I was still in?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Buying means receiving an item, but paying doesn't necessarily mean receiving anything, or at least not immediately.

So if I pay a deposit for a custom build, I might not receive it until next year, so would that mean I was still in?

Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways - there's an exemption for transactions begun the previous year which need completed with a final payment in the current year of abstinence. For that to work, the transaction is considered to start when the deposit is put down, irrespective of future delivery date.

Or, just don't tell us about the deposit and wait until delivery time if that's how you feel it should work - it's not like we're under oath or anything :D

Edited by neepheid

I still don't understand how on earth you could sell a Tecamp Puma 900. I trust that you have sold it to someone on BC that both you and I have recommended a Tecamp Puma 900 to (after all, they are the best amps in the world).