Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

21 minutes ago, neepheid said:

It's up to your conscience.  Are you repairing a dead pedal or something?  If you're building from scratch and it's an effects pedal then it's gear, and I'd say you're out.  Anyone else want to weigh in?

Building from scratch, but it's currently a collection of unconnected components. So, is it the actuality or the intent that counts?

16 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Building from scratch, but it's currently a collection of unconnected components. So, is it the actuality or the intent that counts?

I guess it's not gear if it's a pile of unassembled electronic components components which could be used for anything, until they are used to make a bass pedal...

Well, that's February done and dusted, so let's have a look at how things are going.

Out of 42 who began, 9 have fallen so far, leaving 33 remaining.

February had a slightly lower attrition rate, 4 left the proceedings versus 5 in January, so that's... a thing.

2 months down, 10 to go.  Stay strong! :D

I wasn't actively trying to participate, but didn't exactly plan on buying anything new either. But only 2 months in, I have bought a tube guitar amp, an electric guitar (Ernie Ball Silhouette Special) and a bass (Sandberg Lionel) and sold nothing :$

• Like 2

3 hours ago, christhammer666 said:

sold a few bit so i have a little Music cash. am clinging on for dear life

Things to spend your money on: lessons; strings; a set-up.  They are all allowed as I recall.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Or save your cash all year then buy something SUPER nice next year?

I'd forgotten about that one.....and I'd only being playing my Ric (purchased on 2nd Jan 2024 after a 2023 of abstinence) about 5 minutes prior to writing 😀.

• Haha 1

I just realized my last splurge was back in December , so I’m still good for 24. Although I did buy a little bag to put an amp in. And I will be ordering some strings on my next music store visit.

Abject failure from my end. By the end of February I’d bought an Ashdown ABM head, a comfort strap and a Boss BCB-60. 

Poor effort really from me. 

Like a bloke in Orthopaedic shoes, I stand corrected. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

50 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Abject failure from my end. By the end of February I’d bought an Ashdown ABM head, a comfort strap and a Boss BCB-60. 

Poor effort really from me. 

Like a bloke in Orthopaedic shoes, I stand corrected. 

You bowed out with style though 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm out.  After managing to hold off for a few weeks, I have caved in and purchased the rather nice Guild Starfire that has been sitting in the 'Basses for Sale' section.  I'm still one up for the year however since two basses have gone out the door.

Now, Please can someone invest in my 16 channel soundcraft mixer, or my Furch dreadnought and I'll be able to tell the family that I'm financially quits for the month? Otherwise I may have to lie... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I realise March isn't quite over yet, but it's Easter Sunday and nothing officially happens other than eggs, chocolate eggs, and even if you order something today, nothing's going to get done about it until about Tuesday.  So, how are we looking?

Pleased to report a further reduction in the attrition rate, only two brave soldiers fell in March, leaving 31 standing.

Me personally, the price uptick prevented me from going for one of the new Epiphone Thunderbirds and the new Sire Z series won't be in the shops for months, but currently I'm having a hard time overlooking a very inexpensive but on the face of it well appointed bass which has been brought to my attention.  With gig money coming back on stream next month, this pressure will only grow...

Stay strong...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I realise March isn't quite over yet, but it's Easter Sunday and nothing officially happens other than eggs, chocolate eggs, and even if you order something today, nothing's going to get done about it until about Tuesday.  So, how are we looking?

Pleased to report a further reduction in the attrition rate, only two brave soldiers fell in March, leaving 31 standing.

Me personally, the price uptick prevented me from going for one of the new Epiphone Thunderbirds and the new Sire Z series won't be in the shops for months, but currently I'm having a hard time overlooking a very inexpensive but on the face of it well appointed bass which has been brought to my attention.  With gig money coming back on stream next month, this pressure will only grow...

Stay strong...

Waiting for Neeps to faaaaaaaaall.

IMG_2644.webp

Edited by snorkie635
  • Haha 4

I can’t believe that I’ve been GAS free for so long (3 months is a long time for me) and I’m not even on the lookout for anything. The only thing I can think of is upgrading the pickups in my HB ‘stangalike (EMG GZRs), but then the pickups would be worth more than the whole bass as it stands at the moment. Anyway, it’s hiding in a cupboard currently, so out of sight, etc.

I recently read the Sound On Sound review of the Erica Synths Bullfrog.

https://bullfrog.ericasynths.lv/

It's a straightforward subtractive synth, but with an educational focus to teach how synthesis work, as well as being capable of some decent sounds.

I really want one, but I don't need one. I will go out of next year's challenge - when they start appearing on eBay.

Dammit, I shouldn’t have posted earlier as this prompted me to pull the HB out of the cupboard and give it a play. Now I’m looking at that EMG GZR PJ set! Fortunately, it’s on back order, so nothing will happen in the short term.

So far only pa gear - pair of 12" pa extension cabs and some drum mike clips.

Making a new grill for a practice amp and plan a couple of pedals... but all from buts already 'in stock' so they don't count as just rearranging existing stuff.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

So far only pa gear - pair of 12" pa extension cabs and some drum mike clips.

Making a new grill for a practice amp and plan a couple of pedals... but all from buts already 'in stock' so they don't count as just rearranging existing stuff.

Precisely the ethos required around here.  Today I'm going to bore out two position marker washers I bought last year to 10mm so that they fit on the push pull pots of my Les Paul.  Hopefully.  I don't have a bigger (suitable) drill bit than 10mm and I don't think I can make them much thinner anyway!

• Like 1

After my tier 2 fail earlier, I have managed to resist anything bass related. In fact, although I regularly visit the gear orientated threads on here, there is nothing remotely tickling my GAS fancy at the moment, which is unusual. It either means I'm cured of GAS (I know - "My name is Dave and I am a GASaholic - Its been 158 days since my last bass related purchase.") or a long dormant sensibility gene has been activated. 😃

Edit: I have another 28 days to go to beat last year's record.

Edited by Franticsmurf
  • Haha 2