Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

30 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Cheapskates! The place I worked at the longest gave 5 and 10 year awards, whether there was anything beyond that, I don’t know, no one achieved that during my tenure AFAIR.

Still, useful gear avoidance for you @neepheid. Here’s a thing, what if one entered a competition, where the prize was a bass and you won? I did this and didn’t win, but it did make me wonder.

I would say it's fine. You didn't buy the bass, you bought the potential to win it. Raffle tickets aren't gear, last I checked. I would just say well done and celebrate your good fortune, jealously ;)

• Thanks 1

I have borrowed an early 1970s Rickenbacker 4000s. It is fabulous, sounds absolutely huge and is light years better than any other Rick I have ever played.

This has cured any GAS I had for owning a Rick,  because I know the owner would never part with this one and I can't imagine finding another that's this good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

I would say it's fine. You didn't buy the bass, you bought the potential to win it. Raffle tickets aren't gear, last I checked. I would just say well done and celebrate your good fortune, jealously ;)

I didn’t even have to buy a ticket. It was GG’s wins Stingray comp that only required an email entry. As it closed over 2 weeks ago and I haven’t heard anything, I can only assume I didn’t win it :(

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

I have borrowed an early 1970s Rickenbacker 4000s. It is fabulous, sounds absolutely huge and is light years better than any other Rick I have ever played.

This has cured any GAS I had for owning a Rick,  because I know the owner would never part with this one and I can't imagine finding another that's this good.

The 4000 is a great rig. I thought I’d miss the neck pickup , but I didn’t , and there’s a lot to be said for two knob simplicity. I have the set neck version. In burgundyglo. And managed to snag it for a very reasonable price. I get stunned when I see what they fetch these days.

20 hours ago, neepheid said:

I've been at my current employment for a while now, so I had a quick check and I think I've been there 19 years.  Checked to see if there were any perks for that, but thankfully (from a gear abstinence point of view) the first long service award offered is for 25 years, so I'm ok.

Although I work for myself, technically, I’m the director of a company and, therefore, an employee.  So, if I create a new policy that any employee who works for 13 years (I incorporated 13 years ago) gets a new bass, that would, correct me if I’m wrong, enable me to acquire a new bass but still keep my 2024 gear abstinence intact.

if you disagree, it’s solicitors at dawn!

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

Although I work for myself, technically, I’m the director of a company and, therefore, an employee.  So, if I create a new policy that any employee who works for 13 years (I incorporated 13 years ago) gets a new bass, that would, correct me if I’m wrong, enable me to acquire a new bass but still keep my 2024 gear abstinence intact.

if you disagree, it’s solicitors at dawn!

Your honour, I direct the court's attention to this post on the Internet, where the defendant clearly expresses the manner in which he attempts to circumvent the rules.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

So, if I create a new policy that any employee who works for 13 years (I incorporated 13 years ago) gets a new bass, that would, correct me if I’m wrong, enable me to acquire a new bass but still keep my 2024 gear abstinence intact.

And you could claim it as legitimate expenses. Winner, winner... er... bass guitarrerr.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimmyb625 said:

Your honour, I direct the court's attention to this post on the Internet, where the defendant clearly expresses the manner in which he attempts to circumvent the rules.

This is a witch hunt.  This is like communism or fascism.  Crooked @jimmyb625 is out to get me.  You see this in banana republics but not on bass chat.  I started a great company, great cash, great everything.

• Haha 4

I'm out. 

My oldest bestie came down to stay yesterday for his annual visit. I don't usually drink at all, but to mark the special occasion we went out for a swift Guinness. Several not so swift hours later we concocted a plan to get an online conga/bass thing happening (he has a studio).

Checking my email this morning, Thomann confirms that last night I did indeed buy a Hofner violin bass (SE Ignition) and a set of pyramid flats.

I'm sure it sounded like a great idea at the time, and you know what? It still does! 😂

Maybe next year...

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, miles'tone said:

I'm out. 

My oldest bestie came down to stay yesterday for his annual visit. I don't usually drink at all, but to mark the special occasion we went out for a swift Guinness. Several not so swift hours later we concocted a plan to get an online conga/bass thing happening (he has a studio).

Checking my email this morning, Thomann confirms that last night I did indeed buy a Hofner violin bass (SE Ignition) and a set of pyramid flats.

I'm sure it sounded like a great idea at the time, and you know what? It still does! 😂

Maybe next year...

Ahh, the devil drink strikes again!  Enjoy the bass :D

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, miles'tone said:

I'm out. 

Maybe next year...

Going out with style!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Those buggers at Epiphone are trying very hard to undermine my abstinence.

https://www.epiphone.com/en-GB/Electric-Bass/Thunderbird-'64/Inverness-Green

image.thumb.png.85d62c786ccb20ca7d9b873fc1def8fb.png

2 other colours are available, red and silver (also yummy).

That's ok, they've jacked the price up too, if that helps with the abstinence...

• Thanks 1

I think I'm in a state of Schrodinger's abstinence. I've bought a PCB for @LukeFRC's Iron Man pedal, and ordered a few components for it, but does it yet count as failure or is it only failure when the pedal is assembled? Knowing me, that could mean I'll be out of the 2026 abstinence challenge.

3 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I think I'm in a state of Schrodinger's abstinence. I've bought a PCB for @LukeFRC's Iron Man pedal, and ordered a few components for it, but does it yet count as failure or is it only failure when the pedal is assembled? Knowing me, that could mean I'll be out of the 2026 abstinence challenge.

Surely diy comes under a slightly different catagory 

4 hours ago, tauzero said:

It's up to your conscience.  Are you repairing a dead pedal or something?  If you're building from scratch and it's an effects pedal then it's gear, and I'd say you're out.  Anyone else want to weigh in?

4 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Surely diy comes under a slightly different catagory 

No, it's still gear.  Otherwise we'd just have people sneaking gear in in dribs and drabs.  It doesn't matter if you bought the parts to make gear or just bought gear, it's gear.  I appreciate you sneaky wee scamps coming up with schemes though, it's part of what makes this thread amusing!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So far this year I've finished 3 pedals - two of them started from scratch this year, one just re-boxed from last year. Things is, I didn't have to buy any components for them as I already had them in my shed. I still think I'm IN, but will defer to the judgement of the BC massive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

So far this year I've finished 3 pedals - two of them started from scratch this year, one just re-boxed from last year. Things is, I didn't have to buy any components for them as I already had them in my shed. I still think I'm IN, but will defer to the judgement of the BC massive.

If the components were already in your possession at the start of the year, then it's all good as far as I'm concerned.  Make do an mend/use what you've already got is exactly what this thing is all about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1