Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

I don’t actually have one, but feel I should.

Good enough reason to be an early elimination anyway.

You could argue you are only completing the instrument of its missing part if you wanted to stay in the comp. Much like putting a bridge on a guitar that you bought last year missing a bridge?

Someone upgrading their bow would have to take the elimination on the chin? Bows are very personal things so I would go as far as giving them a complete pass if I was in charge.

I guess another question could be does the acquisition fall under GAS or keeping your end up. I don't need any new gear to keep my end up but I could ride my motorbike to rehearsal with a little cab saving a lot of fuel. Good job I already have all the bits and a pass :)

• Thanks 1

So is building one from scratch (or in my case printing one) in or out? It was mentioned previously but can't recall an answer. 

I have plenty of filament, I have bass necks and bits and bobs. I don't have spare pickups but I could make them from spare copper wire or baztardize another bass guitar. I have been looking at building a computer controlled pickup winder as I have a few Nema 17 motors and stuff left over from other projects. However 84,000cm of 44AWG enamelled wire could be tricky. I do have some spare stray pickups though so could reuse them. 

Strings seem to be consumables so that's good and I do have enough nuts, bolts and other electrical bits for a small nuclear reactor. 

To be honest I suspect I won't last the first month (or week) but you never know. I would have to delete all my carefully curated eBay searches as well. 

Rob

Edited by rwillett
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, rwillett said:

So is building one from scratch (or in my case printing one) in or out? It was mentioned previously but can't recall an answer. 

I have plenty of filament, I have bass necks and bits and bobs. I don't have spare pickups but I could make them from spare copper wire or baztardize another bass guitar. I have been looking at building a computer controlled pickup winder as I have a few Nema 17 motors and stuff left over from other projects. However 84,000cm of 44AWG enamelled wire could be tricky. I do have some spare stray pickups though so could reuse them. 

Strings seem to be consumables so that's good and I do have enough nuts, bolts and other electrical bits for a small nuclear reactor. 

To be honest I suspect I won't last the first month (or week) but you never know. I would have to delete all my carefully curated eBay searches as well. 

Rob

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/487539-2024-gear-abstinence-thread/?do=findComment&comment=5107738

3 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Good enough reason to be an early elimination anyway.

You could argue you are only completing the instrument of its missing part if you wanted to stay in the comp. Much like putting a bridge on a guitar that you bought last year missing a bridge?

Someone upgrading their bow would have to take the elimination on the chin? Bows are very personal things so I would go as far as giving them a complete pass if I was in charge.

I guess another question could be does the acquisition fall under GAS or keeping your end up. I don't need any new gear to keep my end up but I could ride my motorbike to rehearsal with a little cab saving a lot of fuel. Good job I already have all the bits and a pass :)

I think, being charitable, it's a tier 1 pass but a tier 2 fail.

Just now, Maude said:

How spectacularly are you out? 😁

A Sansamp FlyRig. Technically a gift from Mrs T, but I’m not going to try to worm out of it. It’s gear.

I could’ve bought some new trainers or something.

19 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

A Sansamp FlyRig. Technically a gift from Mrs T, but I’m not going to try to worm out of it. It’s gear.

I could’ve bought some new trainers or something.

I was hoping for a fretless Ripper or something 😁

Posted (edited)

So quick, I hadn't even added your name to the list of participants!  My bad - editing now.

EDIT - ahh, you said you weren't playing at the start of the thread.  Tough, I'm recording this anyway, seeing as you announced your departure :D

Edited by neepheid
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, TeresaFR said:

I'm in. Tempted to get myself a spare cable just in case, but for now, that's not happening. Let's see how far I go.

I've had more problems with leads than anything else. In the past year:

Rehearsal - cheap lead develops intermittent short at BOTH ends. Binned.

Gig - outer body of jack disintegrates into fragments, but keeps working. Replaced with Neutrik.

Gig - apparently OK lead has small kink in jackplug that makes contact intermittent.

After that, I invested £50 in two Sommer/Neutrik leads.

(Edit - this was LAST year)

Edited by Stub Mandrel

On 01/01/2024 at 22:36, miles'tone said:

I'm in. Again. Never made it past the finish line ever, don't think I've made it past summer ever actually. Summer gets me all giddy and my impulsiveness definitely reaches it's annual peak during those months.

I've never consciously realised this before so maybe I'm in with a shot this year. Maybe...

When summer is approaching in the Northern hemisphere, you could try moving to the southern hemisphere.  I hear the extreme south of South America is quite chilly at that time of year - I think they even speak some Welsh down there so you'll feel quite at home 😁.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Gig - outer body of jack disintegrates into fragments, but keeps working. Replaced with Neutrik.

So, you had an outer body experience during a gig!😲  Spooky 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I’M OUT.

Good. Glad that’s out of the way.

Now you can sate your GAS without any thought regarding abstinence, whenever you feel so inclined.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Was it me? 😂😂😂

No, it wasn't!  I was as surprised as you, believe me.

If you read the date the American way, it looks like you made it until March!

OK, I'm done taking the mick now, honest.

• Haha 1

Just now, neepheid said:

No, it wasn't!  I was as surprised as you, believe me.

If you read the date the American way, it looks like you made it until March!

OK, I'm done taking the mick now, honest.

Ah well, for good measure I’ve just sourced an upgrade pickup for my P. 

I’ll grow up one day.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I’ve not bought a guitar this year. Always wanted to get one of these back after having one when I was 15.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/740651201325905/?ref=category_feed

Bloody hell, a FIVER?  Like a for real fiver, not the joke fiver we always offer when someone asks for a valuation?  That's a dangerous thing to drop in here, you meanie!  Just as well I'm too far away.

Just now, AndyTravis said:

I hope you got that?! And for that price - I’d suggest it doesn’t even count!!!

Yeah, well you would say that!

Sorry, I said I was done extracting the michael... :D

• Haha 1