Why become a member? ×

Automatically switches on !

nilorius

Hi. Currently i have 4 pedals in my pedal board- 2 Boss pedals - BC-1X compressor and CEB-3 chorus. Both automatically switches on when the pedal board is connected to electricity. For compressor it is ok because use it all the time, but chorus? Why? Is this for all Boss pedals? Is it possible to be changed?

I really don't understand why Boss designs their pedals like this. I had a V-Wah pedal that did the same thing - every time I powered it up the wah was engaged. I stopped using it when I had power problems on one gig.

They ought to include a dip switch inside so you can decide whether the effect is engaged or not when power is applied, or at least remember its last used state.

Edited by Greg Edwards69

I think you mean to say it is engaged as soon as power is turned on.

That is strange to me as most pedals have a latching on off stomp to engage and disengage the effect.

I guess yours is a momentary electronic switch and the unit defaults as engaged when powered up. Did you RTFM? Maybe there's an internal toggle for it to default the other way.

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

I think you mean to say it is engaged as soon as power is turned on.

That is strange to me as most pedals have a latching on off stomp to engage and disengage the effect.

I guess yours is a momentary electronic switch and the unit defaults as engaged when powered up. Did you RTFM? Maybe there's an internal toggle for it to default the other way.

RTFM? Strange, but it only happens with Boss pedals. Other brand pedals stay calm.

Edited by nilorius

My Sadowsky pre amp and MXR comp power up to on (possibly remembering the last switch position as these are always on), whilst my Tech21 VTDI, EBS pedals (chorus & octave) and tuner default to off. Not really an issue, I know how they act through use and the LED is always there for confirmation.

I've just checked the manuals for these two pedals. The BC-1X manual states that the effect is always engaged when powered on:

image.png.30e0b23ca7ba57692e75d8f3d1f83aec.png

The CEB-3 manual has no such statement, however, and neither manual suggests a way to change it - there's no hidden dip switches, for example.

Based upon the BC-1X behaviour and my previous experience with my old V-Wah, I suspect this the default behaviour of many Boss pedals, annoying as it is.

I’m sure I read somewhere that the analogue Boss pedals are always off when powered up and the digital ones are always on when powered up. I could however have miss remembered that? I’ve definitely started a few gigs with my octave pedal on which has lead to some funny looks from the rest of the band!

That's a handy mod. I imagine you could find which of the two 100k resistors to change by connecting a larger resistor (eg 1M) in parallel with each resistor in turn (reducing its value to below 100k), and when it worked as required, change the other resistor. And as resistor tolerance is probably 5% at least, I'd use a 120k to make sure it was out of the range of possible overlaps.

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

The SY200 pedal does this - not one you want on automatically!

I once had my B3n come on with a synthy patch when I turned it on at a sound check. It took far too long to realise what had happened. The screen didn't look different enough to prompt me to check it!

I don't understand why it's an issue? Unless you arrive at a gig with just enough time to plug in your board before the first note is played? Plug in the effects board, some effects light up and are engaged straight away, some don't, turn off the ones you don't want. For me the ones that don't automatically turn on I have to give a little check to make sure they do so I know that no leads have slipped out in storage or transport. Really failing to see a problem with this whether they're automatically on or off.

• Like 1

On 22/12/2023 at 13:33, Woodinblack said:

The SY200 pedal does this - not one you want on automatically!

No but I don’t really see the issue as you don’t turn up plug in the power and immediately start playing your set, very simple to turn things off or on? I’ve seen people get annoyed the other way at things not just turning on 

1 hour ago, 0175westwood29 said:

No but I don’t really see the issue as you don’t turn up plug in the power and immediately start playing your set, very simple to turn things off or on? I’ve seen people get annoyed the other way at things not just turning on 

I would be happy for it to just start off - it has a LCD display and lights to show it is actually on, so I know the device is functional, I don't want it to have the effect on at startup - A synth pedal is almost never going to be an always on effect. I think it being on at startup is a defect, made worse by the fact it has a settings menu where having a flag for 'start on' would be a simple preference

• Like 1

On 20/12/2023 at 13:20, nilorius said:

Hi. Currently i have 4 pedals in my pedal board- 2 Boss pedals - BC-1X compressor and CEB-3 chorus. Both automatically switches on when the pedal board is connected to electricity. For compressor it is ok because use it all the time, but chorus? Why? Is this for all Boss pedals? Is it possible to be changed?

This isn't unique to Boss pedals, my tuner, compressor and preamp turn on when the electricity goes on, but other pedals don't.

49 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

This isn't unique to Boss pedals, my tuner, compressor and preamp turn on when the electricity goes on, but other pedals don't.

Tuner, comp and preamp auto on could be ok, but Boss has a lot of other pedals, like chorus or syb-5 which i don't like auto on. Other brands stay calm.