Why become a member? ×

Do you think anyone's got the guts to gig like this?

leschirons

Perfect for those new hot hologram bands.

In the future I bet we'll be able to have a completely empty stage but still hear music at concerts.

Heck I predict we will not even need to go anywhere, and not even be restricted to hear just one band playing, just plug in your headphones and you'll be able to hear any music you'll want.

Emperors new music!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm waiting for delivery of these Aerodrums (February, I think...) I have the previous version; they're very good. This new one should be even better.

Aerodrums ...

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts/review as an actual user when they arrive Douglas.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Surely it's a practice tool. Handy if one lives in a flat, where even the sound of sticks hitting pads can be annoying to neighbours or flatmates.

I'm going to see if I can use them on stage, as a novelty, connected to my e-kit. I have the previous (current..?) version, which needs good lighting and a neutral backdrop, so it works at home, but is temperamental. This new version coming out uses infra-red, and should be much more stable. We'll see... :rWNVV2D:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, leschirons said:

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts/review as an actual user when they arrive Douglas.

See above ^^; my present set are only for home use, but this new version should be much better still. I was 'in' from the outset with the Kickstarter campaign, and ordered early, so I had a good price. I was already satisfied with my present set; now I'm just waiting for them to start production and shipping. Soon... R91KekF.gif

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

As far as I can make out, none of these type of 'air drum' products are velocity sensitive, so you cannot vary the volume of the hit.

If so, that limits the usefulness for me.

Anyone know any different?

It certainly doesn't sound like there are any velocity changes on the video. 

8 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

As far as I can make out, none of these type of 'air drum' products are velocity sensitive, so you cannot vary the volume of the hit.

If so, that limits the usefulness for me.

Anyone know any different?

The speed of the 'strike' determines the velocity, so a gentle tap sounds very different to a 'bash'. The current version is temperamental in this regard; I'm certain that the newer version will be good enough, without rivalling an acoustic kit in all respects. A lot of the demos I've seen seem to be lumberjacks, so not much scope for recognising velocity, but they can be played with nuance. B|

• Like 1

Just now, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

To save money when air drumming, instead of using special sticks and other hardware, I vocalise the drum sounds myself. And when I do it like this it is velocity sensitive.

Ah, but you can sing, which helps. I have trouble breathing at all, so 'beat-boxing' is a no-go for me. :$

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

The speed of the 'strike' determines the velocity, so a gentle tap sounds very different to a 'bash'. The current version is temperamental in this regard; I'm certain that the newer version will be good enough, without rivalling an acoustic kit in all respects. A lot of the demos I've seen seem to be lumberjacks, so not much scope for recognising velocity, but they can be played with nuance. B|

Thanks. 

If that's the case, and I was directing that video, when he hit each drum 3 or 4  times they would have been at different volumes  with a comment about the sensitivity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a more serious note, this might be a great alternative for laying down drum and percussion tracks on my home recording projects, and then eventually being able to edit further to correct mistakes and other inconsistencies afterwards (if used as a midi controller), instead of having to program everything or using the weighted keys of my midi keyboard.

What would the latency be though? 

Same as pretty much any other midi controller? 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

...What would the latency be though? ...

Not much of an issue, for me, as I would normally be recording the drum track first. I can always move a track right or left anyway, if they're not in sync. Not an issue for 'live', either, as the others are playing 'live' too, and would be playing to what they hear from the e-drums. :rWNVV2D:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

Just saw a YouTube review  from Keithron Powell .  I'll not invest when I can afford to .  

Before that , my initial thoughts were that somebody like Mike Portnoy  would demo this for fun..

Of course my other thought was , that the punters wouldn't be impressed at 5he dog and duck due to the drums not being actual drums .

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

56 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Oops ! Just realised that my post was a bit insensitive .😬. Apologies ..and edited .

No problem here; at the end of our concerts, I usually stagger away to a bit of free space, often outside, to lie down, flat on my back, limbs outstretched, trying to breath. Kind folk bend down to inquire as to my health, and my band mates reassure them that it's all OK; 'He always does this; just let him recover for a while...' So far, I've always recovered; maybe one day... :$

• Thanks 1