Why become a member? ×

Warmoth Custom Thunderbird, ‘66 Thunderbuckers, choice of 2 necks....... *ON HOLD* - *SOLD*
£550
Swansea

Shaggy

As I’m currently winding my bass playing down to a low level I’m putting some stuff up for sale, mostly my main gigging gear. 

First up; a unique and very lovely Custom Thunderbird bass, that I originally acquired here on BC as a Fenderbird with P/J pickups.   However I gradually converted it to a more conventional Thunderbird format, as it’s probably my all-time favourite bass design plus I also wanted a bass to gig with that sounded and played as good as my 1965 Gibson T’bird IV, but that I wouldn’t have to be too precious about.

Anyway, specs:

Body: made by Warmoth in one-piece lightweight mahogany, with beautiful 2-piece book-matched Cocobolo facings (NB: a proper top, NOT a veneer) with ebony pinstripe in between; the pics don’t at all do it justice, I’ll take some better ones if the sun ever decides to come out in darkest Wales.....  Glass smooth gloss poly finish.    I’m pretty sure that Gibson stopped Warmoth making Thunderbird bodies a long time ago.   Neck pocket dimensions are specifically to take a standard bolt-on Fender type neck, so it would be very easy indeed to turn this back into a Fenderbird if so wanted.

Only bad point:  the routing for the original neck P pickup was very slightly wider than the mounting for the Thunderbucker I replaced it with, so there is a small 1mm gap on one edge (just visible on pic).   I was going to fill it with a sliver of matching hardwood, but never got around to it.

Pickups: Dual Thunderbucker Ranch ‘66 pickups, imported from the US at a cost not much less than I’m asking for the whole bass.   Again, I believe that these aren’t made any more.    They’re “reverse engineered” from original 1960’s Gibson Thunderbird humbuckers, and I have to say sound every bit as good as my original ‘65 T’bird - which has the best tone of any passive bass I know of.  Beautifully constructed, with solid nickel-silver covers (not plated).

Bridge: separate bridge / tailpiece like the 1960’s design, in chunky chrome plated solid brass.  Also imported this from the US.

Controls: conventional passive V / V / T, chrome dome control knobs.

Neck: YOUR choice of:

Neck 1: this is the neck I’ve mainly had on it for its time with me, long scale (34”) Epiphone Thunderbird neck in maple, mahogany tint gloss poly finish, with rosewood board; slim Jazz bass type profile.  I believe it’s an older Korean made one - great quality anyway.    The chrome tuners are genuine Gibson logo Schallers, which being in-line probably came from a 1980’s Gibson Victory bass.   Currently with a Gibson logo truss rod cover, but I have the original Epiphone one with logo removed.   Only bad point: The Epi neck is very slightly narrower at the heel end than a Fender neck, so there is a roughly 1mm gap on either side of the pocket, but it’s rock solid when screwed down.

Or.....

Neck 2:  Warmoth custom long scale (34”) neck in solid wenge, wax finish, with slab rosewood board and headstock facing, and a chunky solid brass nut.  3 + 1 type headstock, with “elephant ear” Hipshot Ultralite chrome tuners.    Really lovely quality neck; I think the very individual headstock really complements the body shape, and makes for a unique all-Warmoth custom that’s not overly derivative of the original design.  Slightly chunkier profile compared to the Epi neck, more like a Precision, and being Fender-fit the heel fits the body neck pocket like a glove.  

With well-padded Thomann Thunderbird soft case.  Looking for £550 on this with either neck; the Warmoth neck is clearly a more expensive and higher quality one than the Epi one, but the vintage Gibson tuners on the Epi neck are ultra rare and easily worth £100+ alone.  Collection from South Wales, near Swansea - I can deliver to Bridgend services M4, or possibly further for fuel costs.   Postage a potential option, but I’m putting 4 basses up for sale and only have one box!   Any questions or requests for specific pics; please message me.

2296F838-C52D-4CE6-8BB7-90D83315ADB9.jpeg

BBA4A211-13E3-4CE2-88E7-4EA0F50E7DE6.jpeg

959910AF-060E-4E3B-9F08-4C102FB2C89B.jpeg

30DBA9DC-D188-464D-BB43-BCB028D7C463.jpeg

2008E876-7C4E-4A57-8EC9-EECF17DDADE8.jpeg

B0A8E2A8-E964-4CEF-B795-C48433DBAD79.jpeg

379F198A-A091-436B-B793-7B728CCCB1E3.jpeg

ED588A2B-EFB7-40C2-BB53-315F90FFB924.jpeg

Edited by Shaggy
Sold
  • Like 17

11 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Always thought that stunner was never going to leave your side Greg :( 

Lol - I’ve thought that about quite a few of yours Chris!   🙂.   Hanging onto the ‘65 for a while yet though.....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Superb looking bass in both configurations! 😍

What about the weight?

Any neck diving with the Warmoth ... neck?

Thanks for the good words Hellzero 🙂.  

All I have to measure are the missus’s luggage scales - it’s reading 9kg which to me seems far too much; I’ll see if I can find a more accurate means of measurement.   It’s no lightweight as it’s a fair old slab of wood, but certainly no heavyweight either.

With the Warmoth neck on it balances perfectly neutrally on the strap; the long neck pocket on the body puts the strap button well towards the neck end compared to a standard T’bird

Edit - Doh!  Looking at wrong scale, that’s 9 lb not kg!  🤭

Edited by Shaggy
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, JazzyB said:

I love a thunderbird sold my last one a couple of years ago someone please buy this as it's just down the road and the missus has reminded me the one in  one out is three basses over stocked... bump

Lol - Diolch yn fawr JazzyB, you’re welcome to come over for a cuppa and try it out!  🙂. ‘Pure ‘60’s T’bird sound with boutique looks......

By your missus’s reckoning I’m at least ten overstocked 🙁

I forgot that I had a custom polished alu alloy pick-guard for this, which I never fitted as I preferred it without, but it definitely looks quite special.   It’s in 2 parts with a matt black backplate, but I personally prefer it with just the pierced top plate with the wood showing through.   It’s very light so can be fitted with a couple of bits of double-sided tape if you don’t want to put screws into that lovely cocobolo top (and why would you? 🤔).  Obviously included if wanted.

9870A7EF-C8B0-4766-87A4-C60BA191451D.jpeg

911B66F0-53DF-4169-B3C1-7B2A24D6F871.jpeg

• Like 3

• Shaggy changed the title to Warmoth Custom Thunderbird, ‘66 Thunderbuckers, choice of 2 necks....... *New photos*
  • Shaggy changed the title to Warmoth Custom Thunderbird, ‘66 Thunderbuckers, choice of 2 necks....... *ON HOLD*
On 18/12/2023 at 22:24, Sparky Mark said:

Do you have the screw showing as missing from the G machinehead?

Screenshot_20231218_222225_Brave.thumb.jpg.b204a3c9a9eb1883cd4627db520b3021.jpg

I’m really sorry, I missed this post!   No I don’t, although it doesn’t seem to make any difference at all to the functioning of the machine head.  I keep meaning to take one of the other screws down to the local Screwfix to get a replacement.

Anyway, bass now SOLD pending the usual. 🙂

• Like 1

• Shaggy changed the title to Warmoth Custom Thunderbird, ‘66 Thunderbuckers, choice of 2 necks....... *SOLD pending*