Why become a member? ×

Good HH basses

la bam

12 hours ago, dub_junkie said:

I owned both a Ray34HH and Ray35HH and I found the output drop on the in between positions 2 & 4 (both inner and both outer coils) made switching between those tones and positions 1, 3 and 5 almost impossible in a live band setting. The in between positions sounded great but almost impossible to keep a consistent output if switching settings. Shame really as both basses were otherwise really nice. 

I didn't get this problem with a USA deluxe Fender Dimension HH 5. That was a great sounding bass and the inner and outer coil settings sounded terrific.

The Harley benton I have does the same. All great sounds but 2 and 4 are noticeably a lot quieter. 

Yes! Played nothing but double humbucking basses for years... I gig both of my Fender Dimensions regularly. They're killer basses - great range of sounds from the five-way switch and three band EQ though mostly it's solo neck humbucker, both coils for me. Ergonomics are perfect for me: asymmetrical neck and smaller body are great, balance and weight is good. They come up second-hand on here occasionally.

The BTB in this pic is the first really killer five string I bought (from new) - it's 17+ years old now and has USA Bart humbuckers. Sounds amazing, wonderful to play but heavier than a family car so stays on the wall!

72AFCC09-BF17-4BFE-8885-90A115041CC8.thumb.jpeg.654c3726e9e086560cdb4dda58b095e5.jpeg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dub_junkie said:

I owned both a Ray34HH and Ray35HH and I found the output drop on the in between positions 2 & 4 (both inner and both outer coils) made switching between those tones and positions 1, 3 and 5 almost impossible in a live band setting. The in between positions sounded great but almost impossible to keep a consistent output if switching settings. Shame really as both basses were otherwise really nice. 

I didn't get this problem with a USA deluxe Fender Dimension HH 5. That was a great sounding bass and the inner and outer coil settings sounded terrific.

To be fair, I don't notice the output drop between 2, 3, 4 and 5 (5 being the bridge pickup). The neck pick up does have more output but is fine with a little volume adjustment.

I played the hb mm84a at practice last night over 2 sets. It's very very good. Can't believe it to be honest. Def up there with anything I've had sound wise I'd say (which is crazy). Sits quite well round the neck and easy to reach the fretboard. All 5 positions worked well in a different way. The best for our band was bridge humbucker. Real nice, warm and defined. 

It is heavy though. 

12 hours ago, Duarte said:

Apologies for possibly derailing the thread, but these are amazing. Are the pickguards stock or custom? Never seen anything like it.

Both are custom...the mirror one is from Quick Guards and the abalone was made by a local guitar shop...a copy of a Reverend Thundergun pickguard, slightly cut down at the top.

Picsart_23-08-15_13-18-21-404.jpg