Why become a member? ×

HX Stomp - Info/Educate Me Please

Lozz196

In my journey to find the smallest & lightest amount of gear to take to gigs am wondering if this might be a goer, having seen a pic of one and realising how small it is. My needs/wants are pretty simple, as below:

DI to FOH PA for every gig 

Tuner 

A good sound akin to an SVT/Sansamp 

Same sound as above but with added drive but no added volume 

Would the HX Stomp be for me?

• Like 1

… the Stomp

doesn’t have a dedicated DI out, I think if you get a converter (TS to XLR) it could work but don’t quote me lol.

It would do the sounds you’re after (and a lot more if ever needed). There are other pedals now that may do what you’re after also.

Or go for a mini pedal setup (tuner, SVT clone, dirt and micro DI) and you’d also have a small set up. However it may cost you the same as a Stomp lol!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

In my journey to find the smallest & lightest amount of gear to take to gigs am wondering if this might be a goer, having seen a pic of one and realising how small it is. My needs/wants are pretty simple, as below:

DI to FOH PA for every gig 

Tuner 

A good sound akin to an SVT/Sansamp 

Same sound as above but with added drive but no added volume 

Would the HX Stomp be for me?

Having owned one and enjoyed owning it - yes- 

it has both sansamp and SVT models! 

you would need TRS-XLR cable to get your DI signal but that’s it. 

it would do all you want and masses masses more.

it is a digital wee box you can dive deep on - if you play electric too it’s def worth buying - I carried mine in the front of my gig bag… ideally you might put it in another bag… 

But if you are carrying another bag and all you want is sansamp-tuner-di  then a tuner and the programmable sansamp, a one spot power supply and a bit of board and Velcro might be just as easy. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stofferson said:

This is exactly what you described

https://www.tech21nyc.com/products/sansamp/steve-harris/

Don't let the Mr Harris name put you off, it has ample eq and gain to do a multitude of tones, including SVT.

2 channel, but yeah, I had one way back when it came out. bang on 

I have one of these and it’s awesome (and it’s tiny!)

I had the HX Stomp and.... It does TONS. It can do so much it's mind boggling. But. I was barely using 1% of it and found I had to buy so many additional pedals because the few things it didn't do well happened to be the few things I needed. Plus extra buttons.

My view: if you only want a few functions I would buy good quality dedicated pedals that do that, then you can just power it on and tweak some knobs. 

• Like 2

If you're not wanting too much from it, other than the stated, then what about the POD Go instead?

It's a bit cheaper to start with, doesn't have the parallel processing, but it sounds like you don't need it anyway, and you can even have a few effects if you want too. Nowhere near as complex as the Stomp, but the same amp/cab models, most of the effects models.

Highly underrated IMO.

• Like 2

You don't need an XLR converter to go 'DI', just change the output of the HX Stomp to Line level, and if the desk you're going to is worth its salt, it will have a 1/4" Line input on each channel, boom, done.

It has decent SVT/Sansamp models on it, as well as a bunch of other cool Bass stuff. Tuner is good too.

Si

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sibob said:

You don't need an XLR converter to go 'DI', just change the output of the HX Stomp to Line level, and if the desk you're going to is worth its salt, it will have a 1/4" Line input on each channel, boom, done.

It has decent SVT/Sansamp models on it, as well as a bunch of other cool Bass stuff. Tuner is good too.

Si

Are most 1/4" line inputs on desks balanced though?

• Like 1

On 28/10/2023 at 19:20, uk_lefty said:

I had the HX Stomp and.... It does TONS. It can do so much it's mind boggling. But. I was barely using 1% of it and found I had to buy so many additional pedals because the few things it didn't do well happened to be the few things I needed. Plus extra buttons.

My view: if you only want a few functions I would buy good quality dedicated pedals that do that, then you can just power it on and tweak some knobs. 

After a lot of pedal and multi-fx buying/selling (inluding Stomp, and Boss Core) I'd now agree with this.....although might change my mind in 6 months!

If just needing a few basic things like tuner, EQ/DI, Drive, then there's a lot to be said for just having a few individual hands-on/foot-on pedals that are 'what you see is what you get' and avoiding complexity wherever possible. 

Or something like this: 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sibob said:

Si

I've never been too fussed about Bass pedals having XRL DI (mostly as I always use Amp/CAb and ocasionally also Amp DI to PA) but aren't the supposed problems: phantom power could cause damage to the Stomp, possible ground loop - need a ground lift, and line level signals over long cable lengths can pickup interferance? I just ran into interferance problems with a line level keyboard output to a mixer so bought a passive XLR DI box which fixed it.

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

Wouldn't be without my Stomp, it's 'my sound(s)* in a very small box' - I use it in front of big amps, into small onstage monitoring amps and DI (TRS, tho you can buy an XLR/TRS adaptor for a tenner, too), and just itself for inears/DI. You can also split the output between clean and effected.

Then there's the pitch shifting, which is very good, and means you never have to transpose anything ever again... 🙂

* And Chris Wolstenholme's Hysteria sound...and Tony Levin's Sledgehammer sound...and Flea's 'Ray sound...and....and... 🙂  Caveat: the talent, sadly, doesn't come with the sounds...but I try... 😁

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SumOne said:

I've never been too fussed about Bass pedals having XRL DI (mostly as I always use Amp/CAb and ocasionally also Amp DI to PA) but aren't the supposed problems: phantom power could cause damage to the Stomp, possible ground loop - need a ground lift, and line level signals over long cable lengths can pickup interferance? I just ran into interferance problems with a line level keyboard output to a mixer so bought a passive XLR DI box which fixed it.

Fwiw when I'm doing the PA (and can be reasonably sure it's being ran competently, if not perfectly) then I use a TRS>XLR cable quite happily between my stomp and xr18. When I am working with another soundperson I always use a DI for these reasons.

• Like 2

On 31/10/2023 at 16:42, Jack said:

Are most 1/4" line inputs on desks balanced though?

Yes. 1/4" TRS from the HX to the desk will usually work great (staying balanced). The most kosher way would be to run a short patch lead from the HX to a decent passive DI, though. That way you are fully isolated. I believe it says as much in the line6 manual.

• Like 1