Why become a member? ×

Scott Devines new record

Rayman

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I quite like it.

But I can't help feeling if the keys were replaced with an actual piano and any melody guitar was swapped for a trumpet then it would be an absolute banger.

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

And the bass with a tuba!

:crazy:

Add an accordion and there you have it... The Heimatdamisch plays Scott Devine. I would pay good money to hear that version.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bevan7 said:

Of course not everyone will like it, slagging off fusion is like shooting fishing in a barrel. 

It’s for sure not for everyone, it’s very challenging for the ear, but some strange people (like me) actually like it.

I didn’t slag off fusion, if you read what I actually did say.

Listening to this now. Not bad at all.

Caveat: I quite like listening to a bit of fusion, e.g. Nucleus, Soft Machine or Miles Davis (e.g.  Jack Johnson), particularly whilst working. It makes an interesting change from the usual hard bop & soul jazz.

Edit: On track 3 now and so far I've not heard any slapping, which is nice.

Edited by knirirr

I love it (but I do love fusion in general). It's very dense and layered with loads to catch your ear. I love the fact that the guy who is the biggest name in bass education is a total fusion-nut and not afraid to drop total bangers like this record. Of course, if you're into stale blues, sleepy trad-jazz or other 'safe' music it might be a bit wild for you and that's fine, it ain't for everyone. 

• Like 5

Seems most folks either want Scott to dull it down, or expect him to make the greatest fusion record ever. I think what he’s doing is pretty great and I hope he gets more young people into fusion, that would be cool.

Edited by samkeen
  • Like 7

I would be interested to hear what people on this thread thinks of the Stones' new album "Hackney Diamonds".

There's a separate discussion thread here, do have a listen to the album then hop over:

17 hours ago, Richard R said:

So the full album is out...  And much to my surprise it's bloody good!

Maybe not ground-breaking, but that's not the point.

If this is a last hurrah then it's a great way to stick two fingers up to old age and just make a proper old-style Rolling Stones album with modern tech. 

Edited by Richard R
Forgot the URL ...

55 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

My thoughts on it are pretty much the things normal people would say about death metal. There's no space in it, it's too busy, it's just meaningless noise etc, etc

Maybe if he played it on a BC Rich Mockingbird and wore corpse paint I'd get it.

Well, I am sure you know there's quite a few death metal bands that are into fusion. There's totally some overlap.

Di Giorgio even recorded a fusion album (not great IMO). If you look at the late period of Schuldiner, there was a lot of that. In, say, Scavenger Of Human Sorrow, he has the same way of developing the song as this Scott's music. No surprise Di Giorgio said Schuldiner's compositions would get the best out of him.

Then there is Cynic. To be honest I still don't get Focus, but the bass player Sean Malone recorded a wonderful imstrumental album (Gordian Knot - Emergent), for which he had prog/fusion legend Bill Bruford as a guest. It's definitely not death, and it's not even that busy, but has a Cynic vibe. I was listening to it non-stop for a period. It's the album that made me realise instrumentals are not just a novelty thing to make one per album but can be the main dish. Which was massive for me as now 90% I listen to instrumental music.

I adore fusion - there, I said it - and I like what I've heard of this so far, enough that I'll probably stump up the cash for the whole thing. I agree with @Bevan7, fusion seems to be an easy target for scorn - indeed I recall one former member of this parish making more than one 'joke' about what he believed were the illegal sexual preferences of fusion fans. Laugh? I nearly did. 

Anyway. Whilst I'm quite happy with the guitar as the lead instrument, I agree that it would be interesting to hear another on there. Much of Mike Stern's work involves a sax taking a co-lead role and it works very well. 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Richard R said:

I would be interested to hear what people on this thread thinks of the Stones' new album "Hackney Diamonds".

Sounds very much like a stones album, which is I guess what you would expect. So yes, they are in their 70s/80s doing music which is good, and if you like the stones I would imagine you would like that. I suspect if you pick the right AI and tell it to write a stones album it would come up with something similar, but what would you expect the stones to do - not really a time to change style now is it.

Not sure of its relevance to this thread though.

eta - unless you mean that people that like this wouldn't like that? I don't think that is true, you can like wildly different music types, just that I was never a particular fan of the stones, don't hate them, just they never did anything for me.

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Not sure of its relevance to this thread though.

Only in that I would be interested to hear what the people who did/didn't like Scottt's album thought of a very different recent release.  No intent to derail this, hence the link to the other existing thread. 

I like Scott. I think he's made an outstanding contribution to online bass education and I think he's a genuine guy. 

As a fusion semi-fan I will give his album a listen but whatever I think of it I will not be posting anything negative here because we are not down the pub, we are on a public forum. 

He is also a fellow Basschatter 😉

• Like 3

It's not really Scott Devine's project. It's Simon King and some monster players. If I understand correctly Scott felt very out of his depth when he received the scores.  

I assume the Devine King label is marketing. Scott is a master marketing. 

I think it's superb. It's Fusion and you need to immerse yourself in it and be comfortable with changing meters and odd tinesignatiues. 

1 minute ago, TimR said:

It's not really Scott Devine's project. It's Simon King and some monster players. If I understand correctly Scott felt very out of his depth when he received the scores. 

I'm prepared to bet Scott stumped up the capital outlay. Which definitely makes it his project, even if he and Simon King had the idea jointly and Simon wrote the music. 

Plus the name "The King Devine project" just doesn't quite flow  as well. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1