Why become a member? ×

Assistance required please

Gary Bloomfield

19 hours ago, Gary Bloomfield said:

Thank you  turned the bass over to begin undoing to see if bad connection  lokked at 9v baterry did the tongue test nothing put new one in up and running thanks again for your time 🫶

Don’t feel bad, it’s a common error with people new to active basses. And those who don’t even know they’ve got an active bass. Don’t leave the lead plugged into the bass when not using it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rwillett said:

Ah I’ve a bass guitar in Promenade Music in Morecombe. Thought I was the only person here. 

There's a few of us. There's the OP here @Gary Bloomfield in Heysham, I'm in Morecambe, @lee650 is in Morecambe and we've met each other now, and I must go and see one of his bands soon! And there's @Dannygno123 who's in either Heysham or Morecambe and is in a well known a local band too. The most well known bass player round these parts is obviously Gary at Promenade, but I don't think he does forums much, he's too busy playing!

Rob

• Like 1

@ossyrocks

Ah, I think I have met Gary at Promenade Music. I was gifted a Ibanez Mikro bass which looks like it came off a building site and was used as a shovel. He's looking at it to see if it can be rescued. It makes a good sound so I was keen to keep it.

We go to Morecombe every 2-3 months. Its a nice place to walk the dog, even better when they are allowed back on the beaches. Its a 50 min odd drive for us, as we are near Settle, but I like it.

I coach a girls team made up of North Ribbs, Kendal, Kirkby Lonsdale, Garstang and Vale of Lune, which is on the Morecombe to Lancaster road. We go every 6th or 7th Sunday to do joint training there.

I keep saying I'll go watch some bands but never get around to it :(

Rob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dclaassen said:

That’s my sop for testing 9v’s

I’ve also done this all my life. There was a rumour circulated years ago that it could put 9v through your brain and kill you, but it was debunked pretty quickly. So, what’s the issue do you think?

An anecdote..? Yes..? OK, make yourselves comfortable...

The scene : the apprentice hut, BEA, Heathrow circa 1968. A dozen callow youths, including myself and a certain Butler had assembled before the day's activities were ready. Butler (the butt of many japes, pranks and, frankly, bullying from fellow apprentices...) was showing us all a curiosity he'd found at his parent's home : a valve portable radio. 'Does it still work' came a voice from the back. Turning it on gave the reply 'No'. 'Maybe the batteries are dead, then'. How can we check..? Butler removes the cover, and extracts the HT battery from within. It's clearly marked '90v'. Butler goes to try to put his tongue on it, to encouraging cries from the crowd. I manage to stop him (I was never a great lover of japes, pranks nor bullying...), and explained that, even if the battery was only half-dead, it would certainly do more than hurt if he tasted it. Butler, slightly abashed, acquiesces, but then pulls out the heater battery from the radio. This one is marked '1v5'. 'OK, ' says he 'I can 'taste' this one; it's only 1.5 volts.' and goes to try the same gesture. Once again I manage o prevent this, amid groans from the onlookers, and patiently explain to the fool that, although a lower voltage, this huge battery (almost the size of a house brick...) would surely have enough amperage left, if there's any charge in it at all, to burn off the tip of his tongue, and maybe more yet..! He ruefully agreed not to continue this experimentation, and our cruel colleagues were deprived of their morning's amusement. B|

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

There's a few of us. There's the OP here @Gary Bloomfield in Heysham, I'm in Morecambe, @lee650 is in Morecambe and we've met each other now, and I must go and see one of his bands soon! And there's @Dannygno123 who's in either Heysham or Morecambe and is in a well known a local band too. The most well known bass player round these parts is obviously Gary at Promenade, but I don't think he does forums much, he's too busy playing!

Rob

QThanks drop me a msge on FB or something  be nice to connect with local likemindeds cheers

3 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

I’ve also done this all my life. There was a rumour circulated years ago that it could put 9v through your brain and kill you, but it was debunked pretty quickly. So, what’s the issue do you think?

Stings a bit sometimes, I guess 

My first bass was an Ibanez.  I left the lead in, the bass died, I took it back to the shop, they apologised for not telling me to unplug active basses when not playing and provided me with a replacement 9V battery.

I still felt like a bit of a plonker though.

On 09/10/2023 at 18:19, Dad3353 said:

This one is marked '1v5'. 'OK, ' says he 'I can 'taste' this one; it's only 1.5 volts.' and goes to try the same gesture. Once again I manage o prevent this, amid groans from the onlookers, and patiently explain to the fool that, although a lower voltage, this huge battery (almost the size of a house brick...) would surely have enough amperage left, if there's any charge in it at all, to burn off the tip of his tongue, and maybe more yet..! He ruefully agreed not to continue this experimentation, and our cruel colleagues were deprived of their morning's amusement. B|

Sorry to ruin a good anicdote, but if it was actually a 1.5V battery, it wouldn't matter if it had an entire nuclear reactor power it, it is *still* only 1.5V and would have the same effect as a micro button battery that was 1.5V. the current available is entirely irrelevant until you get up past a certain voltage (around 60v on your skin, less on your tongue).

However, 9V can make a bit of a burn so you don't want to do that for long, a quick swipe past won't hurt too much.

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Sorry to ruin a good anicdote, but if it was actually a 1.5V battery, it wouldn't matter if it had an entire nuclear reactor power it, it is *still* only 1.5V and would have the same effect as a micro button battery that was 1.5V. the current available is entirely irrelevant until you get up past a certain voltage (around 60v on your skin, less on your tongue).

However, 9V can make a bit of a burn so you don't want to do that for long, a quick swipe past won't hurt too much.

Whilst that may be accurate and true, your explanation is no fun at all.

• Haha 1

On 09/10/2023 at 07:02, rwillett said:

Ah I’ve a bass guitar in Promenade Music in Morecombe. Thought I was the only person here. 

I'm in Chorley so not far away at all either.  Happy to help with anything.