Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton 7 string

velvetkevorkian

Neck through with an ebony board for £500 is pretty nice. It certainly looks nice. 

The extra strings are not doing it for me , four is more than enough to contend with.

I wonder who they are aiming it at? Its kind of got an ultra widdly turbo shreddy tap vibe

• Like 1

I reckon their demographic is:

- one third aspiring fusion shred masters

- one third metal dudes who can't afford a Dingwall but want to tune to low F#

- one third a bit of both

( I do own a 7 string bass, and would fall into the last third fwiw).

There is also a 34" scale 4 string https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_bz_4000_ii_nt.htm

Edited by velvetkevorkian
formatting
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thump said:

I wonder who they are aiming it at?

Folk that missed buying them the first time around.

The BZ series launched back in August 2014.  There was a thread about them though I think only 3 BC members actually owned one;  I had the 4 string and a fella from NZ had the 6 .

Mind is a bit hazy tonight 😁

• Like 1

I used to own a 6 string version of it.

It was a good bass, very versatile within the "modern" realm of bass sounds. Really heavy though. I could achieve a very low action on most strings except for the high C string that had the saddle resting flush on the bridge, which kinda made the string be in the way constantly. Super tight B string due to the 35" scale (or so the experts tend to say), sounded great & chordal playing was very doable. 

I am no virtuoso though. Ended up selling to finance another more expensive bass.

But i do recommend it. I had three or four basses back then & i would constantly play that one. 

That looks surprisingly good! A bit of Peavey (Cirrus), a bit of MTD (not just the knob layout). I like it, and would happily rock a 5-string version or a first venture into 6. This one is over the top for me I'm afraid, and the wrong way around at that! 

Generally when I've seen clips of people using basses with more than 6 strings they tend to be doing the two hand tapping quasi classical music thing that in some ways has more in common with playing a piano than a guitar.

5 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I thought the BZ models had been discontinued a couple of years ago. I always fancied the 4 string version of this. Hopefully they'll reappear as well. 

They're doing 4s and 7s only this time round, so far anyway https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_bz_4000_ii_nt.htm

• Like 3

On 04/10/2023 at 07:28, kodiakblair said:

There was a thread on the guitar forum 'seven string. org'  about them, 50 odd posts. 

Not a peep about the weight 🤣

Just thought I'd register on there and I'm buggered if I can work out the answer to the Captcha question, "Our guitars are frequently tuned in...". I've tried the obvious, B standard, B, E, BEADGBE, Drop D, Drop A, and I haven't a bloody clue what the answer is. Can anyone tell me?

8 minutes ago, tauzero said:

Just thought I'd register on there and I'm buggered if I can work out the answer to the Captcha question, "Our guitars are frequently tuned in...". I've tried the obvious, B standard, B, E, BEADGBE, Drop D, Drop A, and I haven't a bloody clue what the answer is. Can anyone tell me?

I found it, in a thread in that forum about what the answer to the captcha is, and for anyone who'd like to know, it's "low b". Mind you, from going through that thread, I'm not sure that it's that great a forum...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, tauzero said:

I found it, in a thread in that forum about what the answer to the captcha is, and for anyone who'd like to know, it's "low b". Mind you, from going through that thread, I'm not sure that it's that great a forum...

Ha, it's definitely quite a specific niche... some people are ok but it is largely aggressive young American metal guitarists with too much time and money on their hands.

• 1 month later...