Why become a member? ×

Pick up height adjustment...... Good advice :)

Mike Bungo

Hi all

I have a bass that is a PJ layout and each pick up has it's own volume and tone adjustment

I've ordered a new custom wiring kit (James home of tone) for the controls ect and I'm just about to add new Seymour Duncan quarter pounders

to both the neck and bridge positions

Once I've fitted this lot I'm after a little help to guide me in the right direction to adjust the pick up heights to an optimum height

I know that many people will have different views but please let me have your thoughts on this subject

Thanks in advance

Mike :)

Ronnie.JPG

I like to fret the last fret and measure the distance between string and pole pieces for each string.

The gap is usually 4mm for me bass side and 3mm treble side.  I find that has a high enough output with no clicking noise.

• Like 1

Courtesy of Fender.

PICKUPS

Setting pickups too high can cause a number of unusual occurrences. Depress strings at last fret. Using a 6" (150 mm) ruler, measure the distance from the bottom of the first and fourth strings to top of the pole piece. A good rule of thumb is that the distance should be greatest at the fourth-string neck pickup position and closest at the first-string bridge pickup position. Follow the measurement guidelines from the chart below as starting points. The distance will vary according to the amount of magnetic pull from the pickup.

Note: Larger string gauges need wider vibrational allowances. If you have a five-string bass or are using heavier-gauge strings, your measurements must be increased accordingly.

Bass Side                                                           Treble Side

Vintage style8/64" (3.2 mm)                            6/64" (2.4 mm)

Noiseless™ Series8/64" (3.2 mm)                    6/64" (2.4 mm)

Standard "J" or "P"7/64" (2.8 mm)                   5/64" (2 mm)

Special Design Humbuckers7/64" (2.8 mm)   5/64" (2 mm)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You adjust the pickups height to whatever sounds best to you. The Fender measurements are purely a guide, don't get that mixed up with fact! So set the pickups fairly low and raise each in turn to whatever sounds best to you. You'll know if you've gone too high as the sound will start to wobble, then screw back down a little.

Strings, pickups, neck wood etc all plays a part, so tune it to whats best to your own ears.

• Like 5

I generally perform adjustments by ear;

Bass plugged in. EQ "flat". Using headphones. 

I just try to achieve a good volume balance from string to string,  and also from one pickup to the other. This can be virtually impossible to achieve with some lower-output bridge pickups,  so I just do the best I can. 

Much good advice in the above posts :)  One thing I have found is the need to sometimes adjust the treble side height depending on what the situation the bass is being used for.  A balanced string to string setup for recording may require changing for live 'war' volume playing. Obviously this all depends on the bass and kit you are playing through and what you want to achieve.

11 hours ago, 3below said:

One thing I have found is the need to sometimes adjust the treble side height depending on what the situation the bass is being used for. 

You shouldn't have to do this. Set the pickup height, then you should adjust the eq on your amp to the room, add more treble for example.

• Like 1