Why become a member? ×

Competence

JPAC

Not a clue. I remember my learning curve being very steep for about 2 years then it almost plateaued for about 4 years, but I do remember being a quick learner and being able to play most of the RATM back catalogue 2 or 3 months after I first picked up a bass. For my first year of playing I would play for at least an hour every single day and often for more than 2. I’m not much better now than when I was 3 years after I started playing, and I’ve been playing for about 8 years now.

First thing I could play all the way through was down down by the Quo! It took me about 6 weeks! I reckon I will be competent a fortnight next Julember. There again I hate practicing.

The only reason I`ve not been kicked out my band for "lapses" is I own most of the pa and am the only one who can work the thing! Good tip that for guys just starting out!

Jez :)

By the time I bought my first bass I'd been playing guitar for 7 years, and had dabbled with borrowed basses for a couple of years. However it took me almost a year from my first guitar lesson until I could actually strum my way through a song in a way that was recognisable to other people.

[quote name='JPAC' post='480259' date='May 5 2009, 06:59 PM']Just wondering how long it took you before you felt comfortable playing bass for a complete song?[/quote]

Just playing until it feels fun to do without being 100% perfect. Not to live concert standard. It varies with the song.

Just done All The Way from Memphis in about 5 days @ 1hr a day. Sealed, Sealed, Delivered - weeks, and still not quite there after 3 times the practice.

Balcro.

Edited by Balcro

[quote name='JPAC' post='480469' date='May 5 2009, 10:36 PM']Thanks for all your replies, it's just seeming to take a long time for me to get started that's all.[/quote]
Well I started back in December, and will say this: you actually don't realise how much you're learning in these initial periods. Even before you can play that first tune you're having to build coordination, strength, muscle memory for the technique, time-keeping etc. Especially if this is your first instrument.

I have no reference as it wasn't the first stringed instrument I learned to play.

As eight says though, don't worry. Whatever instrument you learn, in the first few months there is always a feeling of "I'm not getting anywhere", but you are learning stuff and building up gradually until all of a sudden you start to get it really quickly and then hey presto.

If it's any consolation, getting from non-bass player to average bass player takes far less long than getting from average bass player to great bass player.

I can normally get a song down in around a week - but if im needing to learn something then i'll practice for around 3 hours a day.

My advice is defo to just take it slow, i know how frustrating it is when you mess up when trying to play something.
If you take it slow, your hands will "learn" where to go. Or at least mines do....

Long as it stays fun you're doing fine :)

JPAC, key thing is learning the ways in which salvage a song from going wrong. Things happen on stage, the singer knocks you, a stand falls over, the drummer flings a stick. Part of the bass job is to find the beat and keep plugging away, no matter how simple. So you can't work out a fiddly bit, develop a simple bit you can just attack impressively.

In practice don't let a mistake derail you, make sure you get back in quick just like at a full band rehearsal. Make sure you are generating the energy of the song not just merely keeping up. Takes alot of doing to be horribly ahead of the beat, if you are making those chord changes just a fraction ahead of the guitars you are in the right place.

[quote name='JPAC' post='480469' date='May 5 2009, 10:36 PM']Thanks for all your replies, it's just seeming to take a long time for me to get started that's all.[/quote]

MB1. :)
..."Jump Leads For One!"....Sorry!....... i'll Get me Coat! :rolleyes:

Edited by MB1

OK, this poll tells me nothing apart from it's OK to take your time. I do have a very bad short term memory which isn't helping but on the plus side I changed my bass today to an Ibanez SR500. It's lighter and I am happier with it, so I now have more incentive to practise. It's only a hobby for me, everyone asks me when I'm going to be a rock star, but I just want to play bass - no pressure.

I'm a little bit puzzled by the last few posts but you all make it sound good - right?

I couldn't tell you how long it was before I played my first song all the way thru on bass as I had been playing other instruments (keys, brass & guitar) long before I picked up bass. 1st thing I actually played was the end 1/2 of "the chain" (old F1 song) & then went on to learn some U2, Beatles & REM (Anyone can play "the void"). This was all about 25 years ago! :)

Usually a few runs through at home then a few times at practice then that's pretty much it nowadays. Having said that most of our songs are pretty easy (all the best party songs are!) but we don't rehearse often. Usually we have 2 rehearsals to introduce new stuff then don't bother for a month or so.

When i first started i was playing Oasis etc. at school (not my choice, but there was only 1 drummer and he liked them) so getting competent was no problem!

Totally depends on the song dunnit...

First time I picked up a bass I was taught Hey Joe in ten minutes flat, and could play it just fine thank you. But its completely trivial.

Now Rhythm Stick on the other hand.....