Why become a member? ×

Reliable rechargeable batteries with active basses

GlamBass74

I've done a test with a multimeter on my Yamaha BB734A and it seems to draw 6mA when plugged in. Tweaking EQ or altering volume makes no difference to the draw. 

Being a tightwad I recently bought some USB ported rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries and thought "that'll do a treat"

They are horrfic! They hiss like crazy when the top end of the eq is turned up. I tried them in an MXR M80 and they made it screech when the distortion was selected. Bum......

Put a "normal" battery back in and hiss be gone. 

I've bought a couple of Varta rechargeable 200mAh batteries (NI-MH) and these seem to be much better with no hissy fits

So I guess the question is - what rechargeables have fellow basschatters found reliable and long lasting in their basses? 

If the bass only draws 6 milliamps then i'm hoping to get a few hours between charges, but I guess we will see. 

I'll keep a spare nearby for the next few gigs 😉

• Like 1

I recently bought an active bass which was working fine. I checked the battery and it was dated 2016 (I thought I might as well replace it). Batteries in my various active basses live at least 5 years so I just carry on using alkalis.

• Like 3

You need to find NiMH 9v batteries which come as 8.4v or 9.6v. Lithium Ions are only 7.2v or 7.6v.

Alkaline batteries are 9v when you test them under no load but will drop quite a bit depending on load. Most applications requiring a 9v battery will still work happily down to 7v. Probably not an active bass though. 😆

• Like 1

I fitted the battery so only the negative terminal was touching the contact in the housing. 

I then set up my multimeter and touched the leads in series between the positive terminal of the battery and the positive terminal in the housing 

I read 6mA using this method. Seems about right to me (what do i know 😁)

The reading dropped to zero when the 1/4" jack lead was removed from the bass

Maybe I was just unlucky with 2 batteries, but i'm not the first to experience this from a few google searches

Odd....

On 24/08/2023 at 16:41, BassBunny said:

I've tried rechargeables and my main gripe is that they go from "hero to zero" rapidly and without the degrading if normal alkaline batteries.

Decided to stick with "normal" batteries as they last an eternity.

This happened to me years ago with a cheap rechargeable (I forget the brand). I had tested it pre-gig and it was fine but it gave up the ghost towards the end of set 1. Every since I've used alkaline batteries and I've never had a problem.

I'm definitely being swayed 😁

I will do a test with my Varta rechargables

Even if I have to swap one every gig it's no bother

The Energizer Alkaline that's currently in there just measured at 7.37V !!! (Best before Dec 2022 - oops)

I'm surprised it's not given up yet!

Thanks for your input on this

Jon

I use rechargeables in my ACG - it seems to eat batteries so I thought this was most cost effective.

It lasts about 4-6weeks, I can tell when it's running out because it produces all sorts of weird sounds and feedback until changed!

By contrast, my Wal and Parker basses both last for well over a year, and my Lightwave needs plugging in after about 12 hours of playing.

On 24/08/2023 at 20:08, GlamBass74 said:

I fitted the battery so only the negative terminal was touching the contact in the housing. 

I then set up my multimeter and touched the leads in series between the positive terminal of the battery and the positive terminal in the housing 

I read 6mA using this method. Seems about right to me (what do i know 😁)

The reading dropped to zero when the 1/4" jack lead was removed from the bass

Maybe I was just unlucky with 2 batteries, but i'm not the first to experience this from a few google searches

Odd....

Only ever had a SR500 active bass. Seems hard to flatten the battery (but did not leave plugged in on standby). I read  a little under 1.5mA using same method, so a lower drain bass. It is pushing it a bit to design electronics to run on 9V, 18 would be better. So rechargeables,  NIMH and Lithiums are too low a voltage for a 9V circuit to function as designed.

Incidentally, I bought a "trail camera" a few years ago. It came with some Energiser Ultimate Lithium batteries and these were recommended by the manufacturer, worked better than Duracells which were rubbish. It was the highest spec Energisers. These are not rechargeable so you get the full 9V, higher capacity. might be worth trying but maybe 6mA is a high discharge bass. I have a headless Ibanez, I'll get it out and measure it

Ibanez EHB1000 (new toy) measures 1.3mA. Might be worth trying the Energiser Lithiums but looks like you have a higher drain active.

Anyone else measured the current? Easier way is get a Stereo plug and connect current meter betweet ring and tip. That will turn the bass on.