Why become a member? ×

NAD (New Amp Disappointment)

Edenburgh

I’ve just had my original 90s ABM 300 15” combo serviced by Ashdown, spoke to Dave Green himself and it cost £64 including return postage, turnaround was really quick too. No one comes close on the service side of things, I’m sure they can get it sorted with minimal fuss. 

Edited by Bassybert
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

I’ve just had my original 90s ABM 300 15” combo serviced by Ashdown, spoke to Dave Green himself and it cost £64 including return postage, turnaround was really quick too. No one comes close on the service side of things, I’m sure they can get it sorted with minimal fuss. 

This bears out all I have heard about the company. :D

1 hour ago, Merton said:

My 20+ year old ABM fizzled out earlier this year; Ashdown fixed it for less than £70 including return delivery. It’s well worth having a chat with Dave Green :)

Can confirm Dave was well worth chatting to about this and Ashdown's aftersales performance was a big part of my reasoning for getting my ABM600.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

The man knows Ashdowns inside out and may have an idea? Sorry for putting you on the spot Will :D

Thanks for the bump G🙂 Umm...never seen inside an MK500 but they are simpler than your average ABM. These MK amps are getting on a bit now and were mostly new around 2005-2006 or thereabouts. Yoy can get the odd buzzy gremlin occasionally if the amp has never been serviced. Difficult to say what it might be but if its had a lot of use a buzzy noise like in the video could be a ground issue. Could be something as simple as a loose screw that needs a quarter turn on a ground post on either the output board or the pre-amp section. Could also be a dry joint on the input jack ground. Not sure if anyone has suggested yet but it might be worth plugging directly into the return jack to isolate the pre-amp. if the buzz remains, it's likely ther power amp section. If it clears its likely the pre-amp. All academic if its going back and the op isn't keen on popping the hood. 

I'd tend to agree with the contact Ashdown idea if its a keeper. They have the ability to sort it and check it over and seem to do it very reasonably cost wise. Big Ashdown's like these are reliable and great sounding but everything needs a little TLC now and again, even an Ashdown. The good news is that they are always easy to repair and restore to gig condition. Dave Green is the man the OP should call if he intends keeping the MK500.

• Thanks 1

On 14/08/2023 at 01:20, DGBass said:

Not sure if anyone has suggested yet but it might be worth plugging directly into the return jack to isolate the pre-amp. if the buzz remains, it's likely ther power amp section. If it clears its likely the pre-amp.

Definitely worth a try. Will give more useable levels if you can use an external preamp or pedal that can give you a bit of gain before the power amp stage in the Ashdown.

Then you'll be able to hear what's going on better. 

On 13/08/2023 at 23:19, asingardenof said:

Can confirm Dave was well worth chatting to about this and Ashdown's aftersales performance was a big part of my reasoning for getting my ABM600.

Similar story for me. I was looking for a non-class D head and went with Ashdown over other options largely for the good post-sales support.

TBH - the ABM600 has a load of stuff that I would remove if I could but the service from Dave and the gang in Essex has been very good.

• Like 1

Hi all - quick update.   Went back to GG today, plugged the amp in - reasonably quiet. When cranked there was a degree of hiss but nothing unexpected for an amp of this size and nothing like I was getting at home.

Conclusion - there's something environmental in my house that this amp doesn't like.    Could be the transformer based lighting, electrical interference, dodgy wiring, who knows.   

As ever, GG Edinburgh have been great, they are still holding my old amp for me until I've had a rehearsal and a gig this weekend in case i have any issues.

If the amp is ok in a live venue then it's a keeper.

Will report back after the weekend.

Once the gig season settles I will probably send to Ashdown for a full service regardless  after reading the good things about the aftersales here.

Thanks all.

• Like 5

That's definiitely a faulty amp. 

The source of the noise might well be on your mains, but in order to earn its CE mark the design must have passed a test in which noise is introduced into its supply and isn't affected by it. Similarly the amp must not emit anything that might upset your TV or pacemaker. 

I wonder if it's just an intermittent fault that makes it behave in the shop. It'd have to be a pretty big noise source to affect it that badly and nothing else in your house seems bothered by it. 

• Like 1

If the ABM500 is anything to go buy, the fact that the noise went away when the master volume was pulled down, but not when the output mute switch was pressed is interesting.  Looking at the schematic for the ABM500, if the MK500 is similar, the first thing I'd look at is all of the push on cable connectors about the circuit board. pull them all off and reseat them. 

I've only had a very quick look now as I am teaching shortly, but there's definitely one or two possibilities if it is the amplifier itself. 

Edited by Dood

7 hours ago, bremen said:

That's definiitely a faulty amp. 

The source of the noise might well be on your mains, but in order to earn its CE mark the design must have passed a test in which noise is introduced into its supply and isn't affected by it. Similarly the amp must not emit anything that might upset your TV or pacemaker. 

I wonder if it's just an intermittent fault that makes it behave in the shop. It'd have to be a pretty big noise source to affect it that badly and nothing else in your house seems bothered by it. 

To be fair the regs only (an can only) specify noise immunity up to an agreed level. They do not require absolute immunity to any level of noise (e.g. you'd not be suprised if you were running it next to an arc welder!).  To me it does sound as if the environment might be a cobtributing factor.

Last update.    Gig last night in a good sized venue with proper power supplies (no 4 way extension boards here!) and LED lighting.    Quiet as a mouse.  

2.5 hour set straight through no issues.

Phew.

It's a keeper - but, as per chat here, it probably shouldn't be reacting so badly to electrical interference the way it does in my house - so will see if Ashdown can take it for a service once gigs settle down.

It also sounds lush through the Big Twin.

Thanks all.

• Like 8

On 15/08/2023 at 16:27, Nickthebass said:

Similar story for me. I was looking for a non-class D head and went with Ashdown over other options largely for the good post-sales support.

TBH - the ABM600 has a load of stuff that I would remove if I could but the service from Dave and the gang in Essex has been very good.

Same, I can't see myself using the compressor or subharmonics unless I really had to.

21 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Same, I can't see myself using the compressor or subharmonics unless I really had to.

I have an Empress compressor always on and an OC2 if I need the rumble. Can’t see myself ever using the alternatives on the amp. 

I just want it to be an amp. 😆

• Like 1