Why become a member? ×

OMG ! This is so cool (midi without the mpup)

Interesting! The only downside I can see is that according to the specs it's limited to the standard guitar range of notes, so won't work with bass or any sort of alternate tuning. Nifty product none the less...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='479265' date='May 4 2009, 07:27 PM'](His voice sounds like its on autotune, its very disconcerting)[/quote]

Tis one thing that did freak me out a little :)

[quote name='~tl' post='479266' date='May 4 2009, 07:27 PM']Interesting! The only downside I can see is that according to the specs it's limited to the standard guitar range of notes, so won't work with bass or any sort of alternate tuning. Nifty product none the less...[/quote]

Oh poo, i got a bit excited when i saw it. :lol: i wonder if there could be something like this for a bass?

I'd like to have a play with one tho. :rolleyes:

I used to use a Casio midi guitar. The lag was very off-putting, but you could do chord pads on it with the actual guitar sound creating the attack. This looks like it wouldn't be any better as it will still need to hear enough of the sound to be able to calculate the frequency so there will be an audio lag which will get worse on lower notes. The casio, like the roland pickup has a separate pickup for each string, but of course this thing would probably go all over the place if presented with a chord.

No matter how cheap it is, I can't see it actually being any good unless you want to sound like early depeche mode.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='479560' date='May 4 2009, 11:49 PM']Never really bought into the whole guitar/midi thing. I think if you wanted to make your guitar sound like a synth, then buy a synth instead. Maybe that's a bit close-minded of me but all the same...[/quote]

+1

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='479560' date='May 4 2009, 11:49 PM']Never really bought into the whole guitar/midi thing. I think if you wanted to make your guitar sound like a synth, then buy a synth instead. Maybe that's a bit close-minded of me but all the same...[/quote]
Never got the logic of that argument...seems to have one obvious flaw!

[quote name='owen' post='479561' date='May 4 2009, 11:50 PM']£80? I might well take a hit for the team on this one.[/quote]

I have taken a hit for the team and will report back when it arrives. I fully expect it to be useless beneath the 12th fret, but I'm sure I will have fun as long as I can get the transpose button sorted on my sound module.

[quote name='owen' post='479845' date='May 5 2009, 01:02 PM']I have taken a hit for the team and will report back when it arrives. I fully expect it to be useless beneath the 12th fret, but I'm sure I will have fun as long as I can get the transpose button sorted on my sound module.[/quote]
:rolleyes: Cool can't wait to hear back. I was speaking to a guy at work about one and he's getting one soon too so i may get to have a play.

I still think that it has potential. I do play synth's too you know but i can't play both at the same time. This little device could help me play both at an affordable price. :) i think for slow melodic playing and for ambient stuff the latency would not be a problem and even if the latency of it is a bit off it could sound cool with the synth line just behind your bass or guitar sound! :lol:

Even with the possible flaws it still win's for me. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

I always had a thought while tuning that if the tuner could work out that was i just plucked was an A why could it not send that information out? This seam's to be an idea for that? :D

Very cool. Since it's basically a pitch-to-MIDI converter, there should be no reason why it shouldn't work on bass. The trick, I'm told, is to use the bridge pickup and run it through a compressor pedal first. I'd also keep a capo handy!

It'd be a great tool for composition for those of us who are fairly handy on bass but not so good on keyboards - if you're just using it to play stuff into sequencer software, the latency shouldn't be that much of an issue either - you can just quantise afterwards. :) I doubt I'd want to use it live though.

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='480300' date='May 5 2009, 07:43 PM']This may sound a bit mental but could you use an octave up pedal running into that and then an octave down pedal after it. Does that make any sense?[/quote]

you know that sound's like a dam good idea to try. :) It could come out sounding really funky.

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='480300' date='May 5 2009, 07:43 PM']This may sound a bit mental but could you use an octave up pedal running into that and then an octave down pedal after it. Does that make any sense?[/quote]

It'd probably be pretty terrible, you'd have the tracking issues from the original pitch shift then the tracking errors from the midi conversion added onto and augmented by the tracking errors of the octave up. I think the most viable solution is to just play everything an octave up and get a synth module or some other gadget that can transpose your midi signal for you. You could even go so far as to use a piccolo bass and transpose the midi down, if you really wanted a synth electric-bass in the same regester.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='480820' date='May 6 2009, 11:57 AM']It'd probably be pretty terrible, you'd have the tracking issues from the original pitch shift then the tracking errors from the midi conversion added onto and augmented by the tracking errors of the octave up. I think the most viable solution is to just play everything an octave up and get a synth module or some other gadget that can transpose your midi signal for you. You could even go so far as to use a piccolo bass and transpose the midi down, if you really wanted a synth electric-bass in the same regester.[/quote]

or just buy a synth...

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='481533' date='May 6 2009, 11:54 PM']or just buy a synth...[/quote]

The whole point of this is so you can play it on your guitar/bass, its just a fun gadget and not intended to be a serious piece of gear. Who cares if you can do the same job but a ton better on a synth, its not as fun and its not as cool.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='481533' date='May 6 2009, 11:54 PM']or just buy a synth...[/quote]
Could do with a **Yawn** emoticon.

I, and many other bass players have spent virtually a lifetime attempting to master the bass guitar.

I'm afraid I don't have another lifetime to reach a similar standard on keyboard.

Anyway, why shouldn't bass players have synth sounds at their disposal?