Why become a member? ×

SIRE MARCUS MILLER V5 24 FRET

On 28/07/2023 at 09:53, Killerfridge said:

I saw a couple of these in Andertons on Wednesday - they look really good in the flesh; they remind me of the old Fender USA Deluxe basses

Good call. I get why Fender dropped downsized bodies after the old 90s Deluxe series (coz most folks just want vanilla P or J if it’s got a Fender logo) but they were sweet. I traded this one, because I’m a d*** - let’s compare!

Photography198.thumb.png.c6ea1564519d02c180d5167452b253e4.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered the 4 string 24 fret - coming tomorrow- I prefer standard shape but be nice to have some high up fret options I’ll never use 🤣

that neck looks mint 

I had Fender 74 reissue from 2002 I played till 2017 but at nearly 11lbs was bit much - this Sire reminds me of that bass but with extra frets and nearly 1/3 of price 

• 1 month later...
On 18/10/2023 at 22:08, Silverberry said:

Am I the only one that believes that the new 24 fret design is ugly? 🤔

I don’t like it at all, looks like a photoshop gone wrong - I usually love the look of Sire’s but can’t live with this one unfortunately 

12 hours ago, Paddy777 said:

I don’t like it at all, looks like a photoshop gone wrong - I usually love the look of Sire’s but can’t live with this one unfortunately 

Exactly! I so much love Sires that I can't see anything else at the moment. Even the U5 that is not my cup of tea, feels to me as "understandable". But the new 24 fret design looks like anomaly 

I really like it - I've got a V7 Mk2 ash / maple blonde, which I adore - amazing bass. This new 24 fret model looks like a Mayones Jabba - which I also really like, but you can bet it won't be mayones prices 🙂

https://thebassgallery.com/products/mayones-jabba-4-pj

image.thumb.png.defbc55d9ebc8437bb389fd292887b48.png

Edited by basexperience
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, basexperience said:

I really like it - I've got a V7 Mk2 ash / maple blonde, which I adore - amazing bass. This new 24 fret model looks like a Mayones Jabba - which I also really like, but you can bet it won't be mayones prices 🙂

https://thebassgallery.com/products/mayones-jabba-4-pj

image.thumb.png.defbc55d9ebc8437bb389fd292887b48.png

That Mayones looks right, the pickguard is in proportion and the horns match, I think the Pickguard shape on the Sire 24 fret looks kinda squashed.

Tbh if I needed a passive Jazz and a deal came up for one I’d still take it - if you could get a clear pickguard for it that make take some of the edge off it, the mismatched curve/spike of the 2 horns from the cutaways still irk me but it’ll no doubt play well.

One thing I’ve found with all my Sire’s is that the tone control is weak, it’s basically the same sound all the way to 20% and then it suddenly changes to extreme treble roll off

- works more like a switch than sweeping tone control. I know a new capacitor fixes it, but all my Sire’s (I’ve owned 4-5, only have 1 currently) have been active - is it the same on the passive instruments like the P5 & V5 or do they use different capacitors for these?

Edited by Paddy777
Autocorrect 🤦‍♂️