Why become a member? ×

Glen Matlock in Blondie

Hobbayne

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

I my opinion she is not very good, and makes a horrible noise. 

Yes, she is better than me, but i assure you it’s purely because i just don’t like her voice anymore. 

Ive seen Blondie many times over the year, and just as with a lot of iconic bands, people will go and see them because of who they are. The music is fine, but these old singers really do need to wake up and realise they just don’t have the magic anymore. 

Politely, because I just don't get it. 

Don't you think she knows her voice isn't what it was? What I found interesting is all the changes she has made to work round her current issues in that video, a few years ago on a previous tour I saw some video where she hadn't made those adjustments and was really struggling. I think that what I saw in that performance was somebody who'd worked hard to make it as good as it could be for the audience in front of her. Over and over again I've seen interviews with huge stars where they reveal they are just musicians with the same insecurities as we all have about performing. Pushing yourself on when, lets face it, she doesn't need the money is kind of admirable. Live music has always been more about the people than perfection.

Of course people go to see old bands because of who they are, they are all consenting adults who choose to be there. Isn't a performer keeping going and doing their best more admirable than one who can't be bothered. Should old people give up sex because they can't do it as well as they used to. I certainly can't :)

• Like 1

I saw them for the first time on Saturday in Crystal Palace Park, Glen on bass and Debbie not sounding too shabby on her ??th Birthday, I'm not a massive Blondie fan or anything but enjoyed the gig.

Generation Sex also played so there were three Sex Pistols on the same bill just not in the same band 🙃

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

So it's fine for any vocalist/band to be crap now, as long as they have had previous success?

I don’t know people flock to see the Colosseum, Hadrians Wall, The Acropolis etc and they are well past their prime.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Matlock also revealed how their collaboration came about “just over a year ago”, when he received a phone call from drummer Clem Burke while in the middle of cooking his dinner.

“I was in the middle of doing my risotto, it was nearly ready, then the phone rang, I had a mate round so stirred it for me,” said Matlock. “I told Clem, ‘My risotto is nearly ready and you’re spoiling it, so get on with it’.

“He said, ‘We need a bass player’, I said, ‘I thought you got one’, he said, ‘It’s not working out, can you come over?’ I thought he meant in a couple of months but he said, ‘No, next week’. I said, ‘Ah, let me think’. I did overnight and I knew I should. I’ve worked with Clem on loads of things over the years – some alright, some a bit hair-brained – but we play well together and I love Blondie’s material. They’ve got a great body of work and they always seem to push the envelope somehow, slightly. They also have good basslines.”

Glen Matlock on playing Glastonbury with Blondie, solo work and Lil Nas X (nme.com)

Edited by 12stringbassist

Just now, 12stringbassist said:

Matlock also revealed how their collaboration came about “just over a year ago”, when he received a phone call from drummer Clem Burke while in the middle of cooking his dinner.

“I was in the middle of doing my risotto, it was nearly ready, then the phone rang, I had a mate round so stirred it for me,” said Matlock. “I told Clem, ‘My risotto is nearly ready and you’re spoiling it, so get on with it’.

“He said, ‘We need a bass player’, I said, ‘I thought you got one’, he said, ‘It’s not working out, can you come over?’ I thought he meant in a couple of months but he said, ‘No, next week’. I said, ‘Ah, let me think’. I did overnight and I knew I should. I’ve worked with Clem on loads of things over the years – some alright, some a bit hair-brained – but we play well together and I love Blondie’s material. They’ve got a great body of work and they always seem to push the envelope somehow, slightly. They also have good basslines.”

Glen Matlock on playing Glastonbury with Blondie, solo work and Lil Nas X (nme.com)

That would've been a classic Vesta beef risotto of course... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

So it's fine for any vocalist/band to be crap now, as long as they have had previous success?

I think you're only as good as the last performance you gave.

You can have a massive history, but if you do a duff gig, you disappoint people on the night.

• Like 1

I honestly didn’t think Debbie was any worse than Elton John at Glastonbury, and it seemed he was

universally acclaimed for his performance. Sure, she wasn’t bang on with all her stuff but at no time

did I think she ought to pack it in. What do people expect from a 77 year old for gawd’s sake?
Also thought the band sounded great too. 😀

• Like 2

I don’t think age has anything to do with if you like a band/singer or not. Other than the age could be attributing to a sub par performance. 
Phrases like ‘well she is 77’ don’t mean a thing. It’s like agreeing it’s below par, but then tying to justify it. 

I thought Robbie Williams’s was pretty poor at IOW, and that’s not an age thing and I was really looking forward to him. 

Still, I think we are now entering the ‘I like them and you should as well’ arguments. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

As opposed to "I don't like this, they should quit"?

Both valid opinions to those that have them, but in the second case, maybe try harder rather than quit. Make the effort needed to do the job. 

Edited by dave_bass5

On 03/07/2023 at 17:53, dave_bass5 said:

Phrases like ‘well she is 77’ don’t mean a thing. It’s like agreeing it’s below par, but then tying to justify it. 

Dolly Parton is 77 years old and still has a great voice.

17 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Dolly Parton is 77 years old and still has a great voice.

I like her new single, but it sounds like she recorded it while chewing gum lol. Still more musical that DH.

Im sorry to those that are sticking up for her, but this is just bloody awful. The band are good, but WTF!!!

This was from last weekend. No excuses like ‘well she is 107 and done a lot of gigs recently’. It’s just not entertaining. 

https://youtu.be/8e4t8RuN85o

Edited by dave_bass5