Why become a member? ×

.....I just bought a bass!

Richard Y

Hi, I'm Richard,

I played the double bass when I was at school , but thats 45 years ago.

I bought a bass when I was 40  but I think life got in the way of learning to play it.

I felt the time was right to try again.

So yesterday I bought a secondhand Squier Jazz, its 20 years old but in excellent condition.

I then set about looking for an amp, and I found just up the road a Line 6 ld150 thats not working, but at £10 I thought it was worth a punt.

Do you guys think its worth getting repaired?

• Like 4

Welcome aboard, Richard.

At £10 you should be able to get your money back just by selling the control knobs.

In terms of paying someone to get it working, a beat-up combo can easily become a money pit. Don't go down that road unless you have someone you trust who will give you an honest assessment before you get started.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Richard Y said:

There is a place about 5 miles away called Essex Amplifier Repairs who came very highly recommend by the guy I bought the Bass from, so I might start with a call them.

Sounds like a plan. Have a look at what's going on this forum as well - you might get something as good/better which needs no 'fixes'. as Happy Jack says above, you're not going to lose on the one you have, it's just a matter of how much money you need to throw at it. Good luck whatever you do, and of course, welcome to BC

• Like 2

Hi Richard, 

I'm in Somerset and have this Fender Rumble 100 2x10, it's covered in that fluffy stuff which is a bit tatty, but it all works fine.

If you can arrange and pay for a courier to pick it up it's yours.

Fender Rumble 100.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Welcome Richard

As Jack says, you probably won't lose money on a £10 amp but there is so much good gear available for not a lot nowadays that it's worth seeing what else is available.

Top marks to @pst62 for the offer of a freebie - that amp will keep you going for a while. 

A useful piece of advice we should offer to all new members - stay away from the marketplace!!

When I joined I had three basses which pretty much covered all my needs. I have significantly more now and have had lots and lots of gear pass through my hands in the time. In this I am not alone. 

Beware!! 😉😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 05/06/2023 at 14:39, Richard Y said:

There is a place about 5 miles away called Essex Amplifier Repairs who came very highly recommend by the guy I bought the Bass from, so I might start with a call them.

They’re great.Really nice guys and excellent service.

However if it was me I’d go for the Trace Elliot Boxer above.

Edited by lonestar

Welcome

This is a great forum and there's loads of helpful advice available

...and then there's the For Sale section which most of us drool over some (all) of the time, convincing our selves that painting the front room can wait while we acquire the next 'must have' bass, gear or pedal. Enjoy 😊

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/06/2023 at 15:23, pst62 said:

Hi Richard, 

I'm in Somerset and have this Fender Rumble 100 2x10, it's covered in that fluffy stuff which is a bit tatty, but it all works fine.

If you can arrange and pay for a courier to pick it up it's yours.

Fender Rumble 100.jpg

Hi Pete,

Its just arrived, I'll go plug it in in a minute.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, MungoBass said:

Great that you have a Jazz, that’s what I started with! Not long after I discovered Precisions........but kept the Jazz....then I discovered....and soon I had a different bass for everyday of the week!

Welcome!

Wow … I did not know that could happen to people …

• Haha 1