Why become a member? ×

Surgery Upcoming

KellyS

So I’m getting surgery in a few days on the nerves in my right arm. Do I just tell the band I’m out for a few months? Or try and play bass lines on a keyboard like an 80s band?

Any other suggestions for how to feel musical for the next month or two?

I suspect you won't feel like doing anything at all for at least a couple of weeks, let alone working out your usual lines for a keyboard.

I didn't play a note for at least 6 months last time I had surgery and that had nothing to do with my arms / hands.

Concentrate on recovery - and with anything nerve related it is vital to do the physio as ordered even when it is really hard work / uncomfortable. It will make a massive difference in the long run.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I would have given them  a bit more notice!

Protect your health and only go back to it when you’re ready. 

I would've liked more notice too, I got a call late last night because there was a cancellation. It wasn't meant to happen for at least another two months!

Thanks everyone for the feedback, Nervous times ahead!

• Like 1

The most important thing is - concentrate on your recovery, and looking after yourself.
Re the rest of the band - explain the situation to them, and that you weren't given much prior warning. I'm sure they'll understand.

The next stage will really be whether or not you're feeling up to playing for a while. I know I'd miss my bandmates, and gigging. But of course, you may or may not be well enough to continue in the short term. Perhaps ask your band whether they might consider a short term dep? I'd certainly mention your 80's style keyboard option too - let them know that you'd be willing to do that if you're well enough. That should at least let them know how committed you are.

Firstly though - best of luck with your surgery, and hope you have a speedy recovery.... look after yourself.

• Thanks 1

Good luck with the surgery and hopefully a speedy recovery.

I would tell the band now what's happening and take advice from your consultant on how to proceed.

As mentioned before you need to do what the physio says and not to overdo things and possibly set you back a bit.

Focus on your recovery rather than worrying about bands / gigs.

If your GP / consultant is ok with you playing keys or you can use your other hand to play the bass parts then by all means go for it but only if YOU want to or feel like doing it. Don't be pressured by the band to play before you are ready.

All the very best

Dave

• Thanks 1

Good luck for the op and a speedy recovery.

OK here's the tough love. Don't ask a bunch of randoms for medical advice, it won't end well.

You follow doctor / therapists advice. If recovery is slow, so be it. If you rush back before your body has recovered, you may cause more damage than you had pre op.

Take care and be patient it will be worth it in the long run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's always another time to play music if the keyboard idea doesn't fly. As mentioned above: good luck, quick recovery and we'll hopefully hear from you on the other side of the procedure. Protect yourself above all. Best Snorks 👍

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone!

Just to let you all know the surgery seems to have been successful and I’m home now. Thank you for all the kind words, definitely why it’s my favorite community online!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KellyS said:

Hi everyone!

Just to let you all know the surgery seems to have been successful and I’m home now. Thank you for all the kind words, definitely why it’s my favorite community online!

Now it's time to chill and recover completely. Don't push yourself and well soon you will be - Yoda.

• Thanks 1

Glad it went well.

I had a hernia repair at the beginning of the year and once the initial 'ow, ow, ow' was over I thought I could get back to at least rehearsing (sitting down). But no, it was too early. Listen to your doctor and only start back when he gives you the ok. The risk of further damage and an extended (or even worse, permanent) break from playing is not worth it.

I was fortunate - my bandmates took the opportunity to have a break as well, and when I was getting to the point of returning, I had visits from them just for short jams and updates to break me back in gently.

• Like 3